PDA

View Full Version : Golden Trout

fishpro
07-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Took the hike into Barnaby yesterday hoping to catch my first Golden Trout and I wasn't disappointed. I had about a 50lb pack on and the hike took 3 hours. It definitely wasn't an easy hike, but I wouldn't consider it a brutal hike that would kill you either. Let's just say it was difficult enough to make it rewarding when I finally got to land a few of these incredible fish.

A view of the trail:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/fishpro/031.jpg

A few Goldens:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/fishpro/053.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/fishpro/055.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/fishpro/057.jpg

My grandfather had the expression "something's always going to go wrong" when it came to fishing trips. This trip was no exception - a squirrel found my hiking boots and decided to eat away at the laces. Here's what I wore to get back down the trail:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/fishpro/065.jpg

spinerfisher
07-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Those are nice fish, thats for sure. Thanks for showing such a treat:)

dmvcaly
07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
If you don't mind me asking, were you using fly setup or spin casting. Want to make the trek up there in the next few weeks. Is the hike fairly steep or a gradual climb. Any info would be great.

Dave:test:

fishpro
07-29-2010, 09:42 PM
I was fly fishing the whole time, take small flies and small tippet. The hike is very steep, not steep enough to use your hands, but be prepared for burning legs cause it's a challenge. The first half hour or so is very gradual, then there's about an hour and a half of very steep hiking (1100 feet gained in one kilometer), then it's moderate after that.

walking buffalo
07-29-2010, 09:49 PM
I was fly fishing the whole time, take small flies and small tippet. The hike is very steep, not steep enough to use your hands, but be prepared for burning legs cause it's a challenge. The first half hour or so is very gradual, then there's about an hour and a half of very steep hiking (1100 feet gained in one kilometer), then it's moderate after that.

You forgot to mention the two steps forward, one step sliding back down part of the hike. :)

Guitarplayingfish
07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Oh man those are beautiful! I wish I woulda came with!! =( Let me know if you are going again, and hopefully I will get some time off. I actually may have next week off... Do you wanna do the hike again? hehe

fisherwoman
07-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow those are some beautiful fish. Have been meaning to make that hike for over a year. Glad to see that there are fish at the top! Sorry about your boots, that musta been a fun trip back down!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lethbridge_1
07-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Was it a squirrel, or a pack-rat that ate your shoelaces? The last time I was up at an alpine lake (Grizzly lake), we had to defend our boots against a midnight northern pack-rat attack! Basically have to sleep with your boots inside your tent under cover otherwise they'll go after them. They seem to love worn boots, and anything shiny seems to be fair game as well!

I love hitting those alpine lakes for golden's, congrats on the successful trip.

the local angler
07-29-2010, 11:28 PM
thanks for the pics man never seen them before and my god they are magnificent. incredible colours. man makes me want to go too. how long was the hike time wise and km wise?

dmvcaly
07-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the info Fishpro its, nice to get an idea of what were in for before we go not while were going. Look forward to the awesome time, thanks again for the info.

Cheers:sHa_shakeshout:

Rockymtnx
07-30-2010, 01:33 AM
Congrats on your trout.
Those are some awesome Goldens. Some of the nicest I have seen.

zabbo
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Pretty fish!!

Thx for sharing the pics and info.

ivanl
07-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Very nice... thanks for the update. I'm likely heading up there later this fall.

kinwahkly
07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Wish my body was in better shape as I would have been there with you, great pics.

Off in the Bushes
07-30-2010, 07:54 PM
I have that exact same photo of your boots. :) You should have stayed up there and fish the afernoon. We fished the middle for a little bit until they quit rising. Then we summit the top of the ridge and walked around, we got some great pics for top looking down on all three lakes. You could see beaver mine lake and all the windmills from the top, what a great view. Later in the afternoon/ evening we fished some more but only caught 4 fish between the 2 of us. Hope coming out was ok with your boots. We also saw 4 sheep but I no idea if they where rams.

fishpro
07-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I have that exact same photo of your boots. :) You should have stayed up there and fish the afernoon. We fished the middle for a little bit until they quit rising. Then we summit the top of the ridge and walked around, we got some great pics for top looking down on all three lakes. You could see beaver mine lake and all the windmills from the top, what a great view. Later in the afternoon/ evening we fished some more but only caught 4 fish between the 2 of us. Hope coming out was ok with your boots. We also saw 4 sheep but I no idea if they where rams.

Hey that sounds awesome! I'd love to hike the ridge someday. How was the fishing overall? Was it 4 all day or 4 in the evening and more earlier? I would have stayed to fish but it looked like the weather was going to be bad and the wind would make it tough - guess I was wrong!

Off in the Bushes
07-30-2010, 09:54 PM
That was 4 fish all day but we only fished a total of 3-4 hours. The wind in the early evening did make it tough but we stuck it out.

fishpro
07-30-2010, 10:00 PM
thanks for the pics man never seen them before and my god they are magnificent. incredible colours. man makes me want to go too. how long was the hike time wise and km wise?

Well it is a great place for sure and the fish are amazing! The hike is about 5km and took me 3 hours with a 50lb pack. You gain about 650 meters along the way, half of that in one kilometer.