PDA

View Full Version : Vhf-uhf

honda450
09-25-2007, 09:45 AM
What is the difference and which one has a longer range?

buckshoot
09-25-2007, 10:35 AM
I believe it is UHF that we use on lease for short range with our handhelds, and VHF in our truck to truck radios

Gunner22a
09-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Very High Frequency (VHF) is typically the frequency band used in ground communication and is somewhat terrain limited in its range. Ultra High Frequency (UHF) is typically air to air or air to ground and is severely limited by terrain and almost useless on the ground. High Frequency (HF) as the longest range due to an effect clled skip. HAM radios operate in this band and it not uncommon to be able to talk half way around the planet with the right atmospheric conditions. FRS/GMRS radios perate in the VHF band width.
Hope this helps.

honda450
09-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Well what I have in mind is 2 hand helds and 2 truck radios. I want to put 1 in my truck, one in my trailer and then the 2 for quads etc. Advice? And which band?

Gunner22a
09-25-2007, 11:14 AM
For ground use with hand held units you are limited to VHF. No special lisence required from the CRTC. You need to pass the CRTC exam and be in posession of a special lisence and call sign to use HAM.. Get some good long range GMRS radios but expect to only get 1/3 to 1/2 of the advertised range on a good day.