PDA

View Full Version : Woop woop!! (It's about bloody time!)

Geezle
07-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Oh yes. Jay finally caught a sturgeon! :sHa_shakeshout:

Went out fishing with BBJ and his sister after work. Right after I showed up and before I even had my rod out of the Jeep BBJ hooked into a sturgeon, we saw it jump, and shortly after he lost it :(

Well, I finally managed to get a hook in the water, put a bell on my rod and waited. It wasn't very long after that I started to get some tingles and jingles on my rod, so I grabbed it out of the holder and set the hook. I was expecting a sucker or goldeye or maybe a walleye like usual, but right away I knew something was different. When I set the hook it felt way more solid than any of those and right away I new something was up. Then it took a small jump and I was *very* shocked to see that it was a sturgeon! :scared0015:

The fight was nothing like anything I've experienced before. At first I was able to pull it in slow and steady, pumping the rod and reeling in the slack (after cranking down the drag) but once it got closer to shore and I got a good look at it, it took a good long run and just peeled the line off the reel against the drag, just slow and steady. I can't believe how strong these fish are! I want to say it took 3 good runs before I was able to get it close enough for BBJ to get it in the cradle and on to shore but I'm not 100% on that. I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough to fill in the gaps in the story :)

Anyway, most importantly, here are the pics!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/073010_175001.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/100730175101.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/100730175103.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/100730175104.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/073010_175100.jpg

Big thanks to BBJ for getting me in to fishing for sturgeon in the first place, as well as for the assist with netting and unhooking this beast! :cool:

RedHeadedFisherman
07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Oh yes. Jay finally caught a sturgeon! :sHa_shakeshout:

Went out fishing with BBJ and his sister after work. Right after I showed up and before I even had my rod out of the Jeep BBJ hooked into a sturgeon, we saw it jump, and shortly after he lost it :(

Well, I finally managed to get a hook in the water, put a bell on my rod and waited. It wasn't very long after that I started to get some tingles and jingles on my rod, so I grabbed it out of the holder and set the hook. I was expecting a sucker or goldeye or maybe a walleye like usual, but right away I knew something was different. When I set the hook it felt way more solid than any of those and right away I new something was up. Then it took a small jump and I was *very* shocked to see that it was a sturgeon! :scared0015:

Congrtaz Geezle.. Happy Times are Here again.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:
The fight was nothing like anything I've experienced before. At first I was able to pull it in slow and steady, pumping the rod and reeling in the slack (after cranking down the drag) but once it got closer to shore and I got a good look at it, it took a good long run and just peeled the line off the reel against the drag, just slow and steady. I can't believe how strong these fish are! I want to say it took 3 good runs before I was able to get it close enough for BBJ to get it in the cradle and on to shore but I'm not 100% on that. I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough to fill in the gaps in the story :)

Anyway, most importantly, here are the pics!

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/073010_175001.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/100730175101.jpg
Big thanks to BBJ for getting me in to fishing for sturgeon in the first place, as well as for the assist with netting and unhooking this beast! :cool:

Congratz Geezle.. Happy Times Are Here Again ") :sHa_shakeshout:

Jimboy
07-30-2010, 10:30 PM
nice fish , love the life savers in your ears too.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Im here to lay down my input . Jay that sturgeon is a beauty . By far one of the nicest Ive seen come out of that spot . Tonight was a good night for sturgeon thats forsure . Most folks who fish them know that not going to land everyone you hook into . But Jay managed to keep his line tight and tip up and ended up landing that beauty. I think it made more like 4 or 5 good runs then 3 small ones at shore as we were putting it in the cradle . TO bad my cradle that goes to 48 inches was to small , still 6 inches of head and tail sticking out of the cradle . I meant to get the tag number but in the spur of excitement forgot to , but it was just recently tagged , as the tag was bright red and still shiny .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/edd005aa.jpg

It was to bad the lovely light show and rain ended things , but whatever Jay caught a sturgeon and Eskimos won the football game . Damn its a great day .

Again Jay glad you got your sturgeon . And to many more . Im glad to call you a friend and show you one of my Favorite fishing holes .

Teamprotz
07-31-2010, 04:45 AM
The FIRST one is always the toughest to get ! After you get that out of the way they come easy - just watch !

Geezle
07-31-2010, 07:12 AM
nice fish , love the life savers in your ears too.

Safety first! :D

Geezle
07-31-2010, 07:22 AM
Im here to lay down my input . Jay that sturgeon is a beauty . By far one of the nicest Ive seen come out of that spot . Tonight was a good night for sturgeon thats forsure . Most folks who fish them know that not going to land everyone you hook into . But Jay managed to keep his line tight and tip up and ended up landing that beauty. I think it made more like 4 or 5 good runs then 3 small ones at shore as we were putting it in the cradle . TO bad my cradle that goes to 48 inches was to small , still 6 inches of head and tail sticking out of the cradle . I meant to get the tag number but in the spur of excitement forgot to , but it was just recently tagged , as the tag was bright red and still shiny .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/edd005aa.jpg

It was to bad the lovely light show and rain ended things , but whatever Jay caught a sturgeon and Eskimos won the football game . Damn its a great day .

Again Jay glad you got your sturgeon . And to many more . Im glad to call you a friend and show you one of my Favorite fishing holes .

Thanks again John :) I figured I probably missed some details in the excitement of it all! Looking back on it, it would have been nice to get the tag number and maybe an actual measurement, but really at the time I was more interested in getting a couple good pics and sending that guy on his way. I knew it was big, but I didn't realize it was over 48". The pic you posted does show the size pretty good though:cool:

I might have to ditch work a little early today and take another shot at the river tonight :evilgrin: :fishing:

-JR-
07-31-2010, 07:33 AM
Congrats on getting a trophy Sturgeon.
Something I need to place on my bucket list.

Skyhoof
07-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Gratz on the Sturgeon Jay!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Geezle
07-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Gratz on the Sturgeon Jay!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Thanks man! :sHa_shakeshout:
Comin' out tonight? :wave:

edit: I just thought of something else kinda funny from the experience. After we sent the fish on his way John commented that he was surprised my rod didn't snap because of the wicked bend this sturgeon was putting on it. Then I had to point out to John that this was the rod that he recommended to me when I first put together my sturgeon setup last year :lol:

John...are you trying to set me up with dodgy gear so you get all the sturgeon?! :lol:

fishmania
07-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Nice fish man!
Were is a good place to access the river up stream a bit were theirs not loads of other people.Ive never fished the NSR before

Geezle
07-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Nice fish man!
Were is a good place to access the river up stream a bit were theirs not loads of other people.Ive never fished the NSR before

If you're looking for somewhere upstream of Edmonton your best bet is probably out by Devon. Try fishing around the bridge piles, or go for a walk downstream until you come across the drain pipe...you'll know it when you see it :)

There's also a lot of good spots within the city if you want to keep it a little closer to home :)

fishmania
07-31-2010, 08:36 AM
Were in the city can you access the river(off the beaten path a bit)Were theirs not a lot of traffic and Im not going to get mugged: LOL

Thanks

Walleyes
07-31-2010, 10:14 AM
Congrats on a dandy fish boys.. They are quite the horses aren't they Geezle,, tough as nails.. You should see what they are like when you get one out of a boat and you don't have the shore to land it on,, what a blast they just keep going and going..

Good one fellas..

Calgaryguy1977
07-31-2010, 10:30 AM
First off, nice fish! Count your blessings you didn't hook this as your first Sturgeon!
http://www.greatriverfishing.co.uk/images/HomePage3.jpg

OR this one!

http://www.floridasportsman.com/casts/060602sturgeon.jpg

whitetail Junkie
07-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Nice Sturgeon Dude.Great pictures aswell.I like the chit eating Grin on your face,I can Tell that your VERY Happy:sHa_shakeshout: Fishing's just to Fun,Congrats,WJ:)

Walleyes
07-31-2010, 10:41 AM
First off, nice fish! Count your blessings you didn't hook this as your first Sturgeon!
http://www.greatriverfishing.co.uk/images/HomePage3.jpg

OR this one!

http://www.floridasportsman.com/casts/060602sturgeon.jpg

Well thats pretty nice of you to high jack buddies thread with another fish and pics,, well done :rolleye2: :rolleye2:

plinker
07-31-2010, 10:52 AM
The Geezle is slowly filling his bucket list. lol. Way to go Jay.:sHa_shakeshout: I have never even seen a Sturgeon.

buckmaster
07-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Its about time Jay. You probably couldnt have caught one without the help of masterangler/guide BBJ.:)

walleyechaser
07-31-2010, 11:14 AM
nice sturg jay

calgaryguy those are a different species...

DarkAisling
07-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Awesome! Your perseverance has totally paid off :) Very nice fish, and a great smile to boot!

So how do you like your setup for them? Did it perform the way you hoped? Planning on making any changes?

EDIT: And, how was it to get the hook out? Their mouths are so different from other species.

WayneChristie
07-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Way to go Jay, guess Im going to have to catch up! I guess BBJ isnt quite 100% jinx after all ;)

-JR-
07-31-2010, 04:59 PM
Looks like its BBJ turn now to catch one!

thorne
07-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Well dude, what can I say...except, after spending the night rolling in the mud until 1:00 AM (Another story for another time) and after watching your misery at Calling Lake as we pull in fish after fish and your line stayed limp
, and huddling in the tent with -40 deg. temps outside trying to turn us into popsicles, well I figured I was getting to know you pretty good.....but dude I have got to say....the fish is nice but the moment is taken away from the biggest set of Puppy Dog Love eyes I have ever seen..Man I am sure you were gonna take that fish and make sweeeeet love by the river all night long! BUt enough of setiments.....well done Donkey, Well done!:sSig_cool2:

TreeGuy
07-31-2010, 09:14 PM
Hat's off lads! What a beautiful fish. Who's the missing link holding it though? :innocent:

Geezle
07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
The FIRST one is always the toughest to get ! After you get that out of the way they come easy - just watch !

Absolutely correct! Spent the day at the river and pulled in another sturgeon...just a baby one though. Pics and thread in the morning :cool:

Steven Noel
07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
What a freaky, scary, prehistoric-looking beast. Oh and the Sturgeon was a bit odd too. :lol:

Geezle
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Congrats on a dandy fish boys.. They are quite the horses aren't they Geezle,, tough as nails.. You should see what they are like when you get one out of a boat and you don't have the shore to land it on,, what a blast they just keep going and going..

Good one fellas..

I can only imagine trying to wrangle one in from a boat...I could totally see how a big sturg could take ya for a ride!

Geezle
08-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Awesome! Your perseverance has totally paid off :) Very nice fish, and a great smile to boot!

So how do you like your setup for them? Did it perform the way you hoped? Planning on making any changes?

EDIT: And, how was it to get the hook out? Their mouths are so different from other species.

Hehe yeah, Jay was pretty happy that day :D

No complaints at all with my gear, everything held up pretty well for what is basically a budget sturgeon setup :)

As for unhooking it and the mouth...honestly BBJ unhooked this guy for me, while I snapped a couple quick pics of it.

I did help a guy unhook another one yesterday though, and the mouth is definitely different...it's really 'meaty' for lack of a better term, and kinda tough. Even though there's no teeth I wouldn't want to stick my fingers in there :scared:

Geezle
08-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Way to go Jay, guess Im going to have to catch up! I guess BBJ isnt quite 100% jinx after all ;)

Yep, now it's your turn to catch one Wayne! :evilgrin:

BBJ is all good, but after our last trip to Calling I was thinking that I was the one with the bad mojo :lol:

Must have done something to earn myself some good Karma recently :D

Geezle
08-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Well dude, what can I say...except, after spending the night rolling in the mud until 1:00 AM (Another story for another time) and after watching your misery at Calling Lake as we pull in fish after fish and your line stayed limp
, and huddling in the tent with -40 deg. temps outside trying to turn us into popsicles, well I figured I was getting to know you pretty good.....but dude I have got to say....the fish is nice but the moment is taken away from the biggest set of Puppy Dog Love eyes I have ever seen..Man I am sure you were gonna take that fish and make sweeeeet love by the river all night long! BUt enough of setiments.....well done Donkey, Well done!:sSig_cool2:

What can I say...life's an adventure! As for the mud story...that's old news! http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=64706&highlight=thorne%21

And nevermind what that fish and I did once nobody was watching :o :scared: :lol:

Geezle
08-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Hat's off lads! What a beautiful fish. Who's the missing link holding it though? :innocent:

It's Wolverine! :cool:

jared.nielsen
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice Sturgeon, Jay. You guys are giving me the motivation to really get into this. You said BBJ gave you advice on your setup, what kind of rod/reel/line combo are you using? I think it's time to try my hand at this. :) My little guy would love to see one of these out of the water.:test:

Geezle
08-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Nice Sturgeon, Jay. You guys are giving me the motivation to really get into this. You said BBJ gave you advice on your setup, what kind of rod/reel/line combo are you using? I think it's time to try my hand at this. :) My little guy would love to see one of these out of the water.:test:
Thanks! :D

I'm using a 7' MH Rhino rod (less than $40) with a Shimano Solstace 4000FI reel and 50lb Spiderwire :)

BobLoblaw
08-01-2010, 10:57 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:
Nicely done, Jay.
I admire your perserverance; to keep on fishin' after hookin' yerself thru the bottom lip like that?? Yer one tough S.O.B.:happy0180:
Congratz on yer first sturg!

Fishfinder
08-02-2010, 05:53 AM
Way to go Geez! Very nice looking sturgy:) Congrads on sturgeo #1!
Cheers n GL!

Geezle
08-02-2010, 07:16 AM
:sHa_shakeshout:
Nicely done, Jay.
I admire your perserverance; to keep on fishin' after hookin' yerself thru the bottom lip like that?? Yer one tough S.O.B.:happy0180:
Congratz on yer first sturg!
What can I say...it makes for a good story! :lol:

Thanks guys! :wave:

Geezle
08-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Its about time Jay. You probably couldnt have caught one without the help of masterangler/guide BBJ.:)

Don't say that too loud or we might get spanked for advertising :scared0018:

Badback
08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Congratulations on the fish guys….looks like you had a good time

Jayball
08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
nice fish! thats my next project... to catch me one of those!!