PDA

View Full Version : Bear Pond and Big Iron Lakes

dmvcaly
08-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Has anyone ever fished either of these bodies of water, interested in any info any one has thanks.:confused:

Scott N
08-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I've fished Bear Pond before but never Big Iron. I've had good luck at bear early in the season using chironomids, and fair luck later in the year using small (14 - 16) dry flies like humpies, especially darker patterns. It's a short, easy hike to Bear, but I've never ventured back to Big Iron before.

walking buffalo
08-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Not sure what info you are looking for? Will you be more specific in your question?

Bear is a very short walk from the parking lot. You can fish from shore, but it is mostly treed right to the waters edge. Not an overly aesthetic place, but easy catching with flies.

Iron is past Bear (north), follow the main path through the next avalanche slide, keep your elevation, don't go up or down. Iron is a very pretty lake, some shore fishing on east and west ends.

Both ponds/lakes are well suited to a float tube. Have fun!

matt04
08-02-2010, 12:31 AM
are you fly fishing? Spin cast?

dmvcaly
08-02-2010, 12:41 AM
I was planning on spin casting from shore. I was planning on trying some small spinners and spoons and see how that worked. Any advise would help.
Dave

matt04
08-02-2010, 12:58 AM
silver or black panther martins were catching fish there this year

dmvcaly
08-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice, can't wait to get down there and try my luck.:sHa_shakeshout: