PDA

View Full Version : Went to Muir lake this evening...

newfierefugee
08-01-2010, 10:53 PM
If there was a category here for stunarse newfs, i'm sure I could fill it up alone.

I headed out to Wabamun this afternoon to see if I could get into some bigger fish, but it was so crowded there on a sunday afternoon, I just couldn't be bothered setting up the float tube.

I've never been to Muir so off I went. Got everything rigged up, sinking flyline on my rod and out on the water I go. It's a very weedy lake, like an underwater forest, and I realized after a couple of dozen casts that it's time to put on the floating line. First time changing reels in the tube, wasn't that hard to do really - or was it?? Get back to fishing.

After a half dozen casts, had a nice little hog on.... Fought the good fight, managed to get it in close enough so I laid my rod behind me and went to grab the tippet. Splash behind me and i'm thinking a fish breeched but then my rod felt a little light.

Yep, the reel fell off, that was the splash, guess I didn't lock it in properly. Now i've got my 9 foot TFO above my head trying to keep this fish from wrapping me around the weeds and i'm trying to fish my reel out of the water with the other hand.

Now I realize the hard way that I had the drag turned off and every pull was just line. Now i'm cursing, i've got at least 100 feet of backing (and all the floating line) in my lap from trying to retrieve this damn reel and still have the fish on. Finally manage to pull hard enough to get the reel tangled enough to retrieve it and slack up to let the fish go. After a good 10 minutes respooling and praying that it doesn't knot up. Couple of bites after that but a good wind came alone and drove us off the lake.

Managed to get some video of another fellow that was fishing. He managed a couple of nice fish, one leaped a good 2 feet out of the water.

matt04
08-02-2010, 12:16 AM
haha. I can laugh about that one cuz i had something very simialar happen this year. :sign0176:

kingkongpennock
08-02-2010, 05:55 PM
sounds like a blast. i had something similar happen to me. I was casting from shore and didn't realize my reel clip was in the "take off" position. a few casts and... ploop, reel in the water. my drag was on, so i didn't have to re-spool it all.

just curious, what were you using at muir lake? the usual leeches and chironomids?