PDA

View Full Version : Barrier lake or others?

Rob_P
08-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Alright so myself and the rest of the crew(family) are going fishing tomorrow and were just wondering where some good spots are within a 1hour and 30 mins of calgary are?

Ive been to Glenmore reservoir and not had any luck in 2 full days of fishing,i tried the bow just off of deerfoot meadows and had no luck,in 3 full days of fishing Chain lake i had 1 trout at about 10 inches so needless to say i havent been doing so good.

I used to fish Macgregor lake just east of Vulcan and all that and always had good Pike but it might be a bit far for the young kids.

We have been thinking about going to barrier lake out in K-country but cant find much online has anyone been lately? And if so any tips or tricks?

Thanks all!

dmvcaly
08-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I was out to barrier about 2 and a half weeks ago, fishing was slow, between 3 of us we only caught 2 cutthroats. But did have quite a few bites. I think you would be better off heading down to Upper Kananaskis lake its a bit farther down the road but when we were there on Canada day caught 9 fish and saw quite a few other people catching fish as well. Good luck.

Dave:medium-smiley-035:

Rob_P
08-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Perfect thats what i needed thanks alot!

jts1
08-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Are you hooked on trout or open to any typ of fish. Fly or spinner?

Rob_P
08-02-2010, 12:52 AM
I much prefer pike but yea im really open to anything.And spinner but we may take the fly there just incase(Spinner preffered)

jts1
08-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Well the generic answer IF you are looking to keep the kids happy is PCR and some walleye. You may even get a pike or two out of there. As well Clear lake is right there and it DOES have some nice pike in it.

Rob_P
08-02-2010, 01:12 AM
I was reading up on PCR on some older forum posts and it looks awesome.

Just one question...What is PCR haha what does it stand for im at a complete loss

dmvcaly
08-02-2010, 01:40 AM
PCR is pine coulee reservoir. Go south on the #2highway to stavely, and then take road 527 west aproximately six km, and you will cross a bridge, under which is PCR.:)

Rob_P
08-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Oh and directions? i cant find it anywhere i did find some directions in another forum but they are very unclear,they say go to stavely and then take highway 527 6km and youll be there but when i look at maps i really cant tell where to turn off 527.

And hat are the bait restrictions there? Ive heard alot of people saying they use bait so just curious

Rob_P
08-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Awesome thank you guys so much! Were really looking forward to it!

dmvcaly
08-02-2010, 01:59 AM
I found that on a lot of maps this body of water isn't actually there, its just a valley. But i swear as i've been there myself, if you get onto road 527 west and follow it along until you come across a bridge, PCR is flowing under the bridge. You can park right there and fish from under the bridge. I was just using a jig with minnows on it and was nailing them pretty steady. Just remember its all C&R for walleye:sign0161:

jts1
08-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Add yourself to my fishing map it will get you there and anywhere els you need to go. Once on the map use sat view and you should be set

mistamikel
08-02-2010, 04:37 AM
Head up to Sibbald pond, the kids will have a blast.

Gillfisher
08-02-2010, 08:52 AM
I fished Barrier Lake Sat & Sun. Sat we boated 4 fish & missed as many bites and then we ran out of worms. Sun I boated 2 fish and again missed 4 or 5 good bites. The biggest Sat was a 16" cutt. Gang troll wedding bands & worms work well.

Gillfisher

Rob_P
08-02-2010, 10:18 AM
WOW that map is awesome thatll be a big help thanks jt1 for all the help.

And thanks everyone else its been a real big help getting your guys input now we have plenty of places to try out!

Sounds like you had a good time at barrier! Not too bad a day we just dont have a boat unfortunetly.

Thanks again guys!:)

Fordman150
08-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I also have a few kids that want to try out fishing.. I used to fish the Northern Sask lakes for pike and walleye, as well as the South sask river for sturgeon and goldeye. I have little knowledge on fishing streams and lakes in this area for trout etc. any help suggestions would be great.

jts1, can you please add me to your map.. Thanks and happy fishing:sHa_shakeshout:

Rob_P
08-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Wow just have to say big thanks to everyone we had a blast and my brother and sister's caught their first Pike (my brothers was a 10+ pounder!) al in all we caught 8 fish between 5 of us which made for some great fun.

jts1
08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Great job Glad to hear that it worked out

Rob_P
08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Big thanks to your map that really helped us out!

Tomorrow: Carburn park for some fishing the river :sHa_shakeshout:

Okotokian
08-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Wow just have to say big thanks to everyone we had a blast and my brother and sister's caught their first Pike (my brothers was a 10+ pounder!) al in all we caught 8 fish between 5 of us which made for some great fun.

Congrats. Where did you go in the end?