PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing For Pike

Darren_buckhunter
08-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Im new to fly fishing and i was wondering what everyone uses for leaders for pike. Just wondering if anyone has any tips and hints of what works good.

Pudelpointer
08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Rio makes a knotable steel leader material, that you can blood knot right to heavy mono. I was using standard steel leader material before, but never again after using this stuff. Hands down the best way to go. It is a bit expensive, but you only need 6-8" at the most so it lasts a while.

tacklerunner
08-02-2010, 11:33 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=60883

Heimdallr
08-02-2010, 11:36 PM
I recently tried the Cortland knotable stainless steel leader material and it was a mixed bag. You can indeed tie it, but I found it kinked up way too easy, even with smaller pike.

Darren N
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
I have those pike leaders myself, but I tend to use a sink tip with about 3 feet of #3 tippet on. It gives a bit better presentation to the fish and increases your odds if you are fishing places like the NSR to catch a goldeye or whatever. It also makes the fight more serious so that you dont loose your hook. If you are in a pike lake then the mentioned pike leaders are a good choice.

Jayball
08-04-2010, 11:36 AM
I use about 7-9 feet of Power-Pro believe it or not. I started using it by accident a while back when i ran out of tippet on the lake one day. All my reels have Power Pro and I happened to have a spool of it in my bag... so i just tied it on.

I find the power-pro a bit more invisible in greener water... which good because I fish pigeon every weekend.

Its also very light weight and has no effect on my casting what so ever.