PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Perch during the summer?

fotheringham
08-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I just bought my first tin can, and wanted to take a friend out for yellow perch during the summer. Does anyone have any suggestions of locations reachable from Calgary in a day trip? Thanks :)

trapshooter
08-03-2010, 01:49 AM
carburn park

matt04
08-05-2010, 02:16 PM
carburn park

when was the last time you fished carburn park? I haven't fished there for a few years but I was allmost certain that there wasn't any perch left in there

Braun
08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
There is perch left, but no too many. and its really weedy this time of year.

hard_azz
08-05-2010, 03:28 PM
i have never tried summer time perch fishin... i really want to tho... i know i had a blast this winter out at burnstick lake west of sundre... didnt find to many real big ones but had non-stop action all day long... had good luck bouncin a little silver spoon tipped with maggots on the bottom then bring it up about 6"-10" and wait for the tap tap... let us know how it goes out there

Braun
08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
The only place i really know of anywhere remotely near calgary other than carburn(which is kind of ****ty) is Lake sundance(private residence) illegally introduced and there are thousands upon thousands in there that are unwanted. have to be invited by a community member to go take them then you can take as many as you can. bug sundance fisher about having a big perch cathing day sometime soon. i went with him a couple weeks back and took home 74 perch and the other guy we went with took home just as many if not more. you get tired of filleting them though

Sundancefisher
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Pigeon, South Buck, Gull. South Buck is probably your best bet. However if you just want to catch fish in the new boat...I hear PCR has the odd walleye biting.

Braun
08-05-2010, 10:06 PM
hmmm, is that a deflection from having a perch catching fiesta sundancefisher? actually thinking about this today, have you ever thought about having a "perch catching derby" one day. Throw a time limit on there and then pairs of people can sign up and register at the begining of the day. The community could even make money off it; charge a small entry fee to cover the cost of organizing + a little extra to pitch towards the facility and then get some sort of prize like an ice fishing rod and some ice lures or something cheapish. The lake would benefit from the mass amount of perch being removed and by a little bit of cash in its pocket and people would have a day of fun and a tasty treat to spend hours filleting at home.

to weigh it all you could just dump your catch in a bucket at the weigh in station, (weigh in by pounds caught as opposed to number of fish. this would also ensure that no one would be taking your precious trout as well.

matt04
08-05-2010, 10:12 PM
the house i grew up in was about a hundred yards from carburn park. When i was a kid there was tons of perch in there( that was only 15 years ago). I live in lethbridge now but as of about 10 years ago as far as i know perch don't exist in that lake. I wouldn't suggest fishing there for perch, however there is pike in carburn. The biggest pike i pulled out of there was around the 24" range.

If anyone goes there and gets into some decent perch let me know cuz my parents still live there.

Braun
08-05-2010, 10:38 PM
There is perch there. Baitfisher goes for the perch there often in the spring and i, with my on eyes, watched her catch a pair. People still ice fish them there. So they are there, I just wouldnt consider them plentiful

Christofficer
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
That sucks, I used to fish there years ago and got tons of perch.

you can catch perch in the glenmore reservoir. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet considering there is quite a bit in there when you find them. I had one race towards shore right at my feet and beach itself trying to flee from a big pike. Pretty cool experience to see that. I picked it up and sent it back in the water to it's demise.

Fisher_man#1
08-06-2010, 04:16 PM
There are perch in Carbon Park along with some small to average sized pike i caught around 30 perch and 4 pike ice fishing there last winter. The perch were quite picky about lures and sizes but they range from 4-9" inches. Dont really waste my time there in summer, but good luck the far side out rear the middle is where i caught most.

Sundancefisher
08-06-2010, 04:16 PM
hmmm, is that a deflection from having a perch catching fiesta sundancefisher? actually thinking about this today, have you ever thought about having a "perch catching derby" one day. Throw a time limit on there and then pairs of people can sign up and register at the begining of the day. The community could even make money off it; charge a small entry fee to cover the cost of organizing + a little extra to pitch towards the facility and then get some sort of prize like an ice fishing rod and some ice lures or something cheapish. The lake would benefit from the mass amount of perch being removed and by a little bit of cash in its pocket and people would have a day of fun and a tasty treat to spend hours filleting at home.

to weigh it all you could just dump your catch in a bucket at the weigh in station, (weigh in by pounds caught as opposed to number of fish. this would also ensure that no one would be taking your precious trout as well.

We have derbies. Everyone participating grabs a mallet... Start bonking...2 hours later leave with 200 perch. Funny enough...seems to occur during the netting times.:sHa_shakeshout:

I get lots of guys ice fishing with me. Stay tuned and watch for posts. I am always happy to add an impromptu derby to it. How about everyone puts in $20 and the most perch caught takes the pot? :fighting0030:

Getting lots of people out in the summer is problematic with timing. Lots more family time in summer than winter. Also easier access to the water on ice. Still I do get the odd person out catching perch in the summer. Just last minute and only for an hour or two. Probably going tonight.

Cheers

Sun