PDA

View Full Version : New Fisherman

RayL42
08-03-2010, 08:21 AM
This weekend a friend of mine call and asked me to take his 6 year old nephew fishing, he had received a rod and real for his birthday and had no one to take if out to catch a fish. Of course I agreed to take them out; we went to my favorite stocked pond, he had 4 rainbows on about 6 casts 3 of which where over 16 inches. I got skunked. At the end of the day he did not want to go. I think he will be a fisherman for the rest of his life now.

Fordman150
08-03-2010, 09:05 AM
I have a 9 and 12 year old who desperatly want to catch some fish. Any hints on where you had your luck and what we need to use. I know some fishermen don't like to give away their secrets. I'm new to fishing lakes and streams without a boat. We're in the Calgary area.
Any help would be appreciated. A fellow member has been kind enough to offer to take us out Thursday. Thanks again to jts1

Gillfisher
08-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Blood Indian Resevoir has some nice size stocked trout but it is a bit of a drive as it takes about 2 hrs to get there from Airdire. Good fishing off the shore use pickeral rigs and power bait. Shrimp worked really well in the winter ice fishing season

Closer to Airdrie is Dickson Dam I would use the same thing as at Blood Indian Resevoir

Gillfisher

RayL42
08-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a 9 and 12 year old who desperatly want to catch some fish. Any hints on where you had your luck and what we need to use. I know some fishermen don't like to give away their secrets. I'm new to fishing lakes and streams without a boat. We're in the Calgary area.
Any help would be appreciated. A fellow member has been kind enough to offer to take us out Thursday. Thanks again to jts1

We went to Winchell Lake it is out by Watervalley about 45 minutes north west of Airdrie, however Winchell has a few issues namely it is in the middle of a bog so you will get your feet wet walking to the waters edge. There are a few old beaver lodges on the north shore you can stand on if you do not have a little boat to use. For bate I use ½ a small marshmallow and a piece of Power Bait about the same size as the ½ marshmallow. I use a slip weight system with a 2 foot leader (be carful with this system they will typically swallow the hook so if you do not intend to keep the fish it is not the best choice).

The above bait set up should work in most ponds stalked with trout. Airdrie pond is stalked I have never fished there my self but it might be a good place to give it a try. Check the regulations first to ensure there is no bait ban.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Fordman150
08-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys, we'll put it on our list for sure.. Thanks.