PDA

View Full Version : Maximum fine on keeping a Sturgeon

blwlaw823
08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I was trying to find some info about maximum fine for keeping a sturgeon in this forum, but got no answer. Just wondering what is the maximum fine in Alberta on keeping a Sturgeon?

$20000 fine + 6 months in jail?

Guitarplayingfish
08-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I was trying to find some info about maximum fine for keeping a sturgeon in this forum, but got no answer. Just wondering what is the maximum fine in Alberta on keeping a Sturgeon?

$20000 fine + 6 months in jail?

Well, I'll tell you this much... If I ever saw someone keep a sturgeon, I would definately step in and throw some fists. Sturgeon are protected for a reason... ..

alodar
08-03-2010, 01:13 PM
im not 100% but i recall seeing a sign by the nsr saying fines of up to $100,000.00

DarkAisling
08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
No fine is enough!

FishingFrenzy
08-03-2010, 02:11 PM
If you keep a sturgeon they will bring back capital punishment.

baitfisher83
08-03-2010, 03:08 PM
is that what's needed to bring capital punishment in??lol Always wondered what it took, apparently rape and murder don't count as enough but keeping a sturgeon does.

Stump thumper
08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
My question is why would someone ask a question like that unless they were planning on keeping one? They are illegal to keep and that should be all that matters..

fishpro
08-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Well that may be the maximum fine, but more than likely the CO would hand you a $200 ticket, then you could just go whine to a judge and get out of it. We need to redo our fisheries management.

wwbirds
08-03-2010, 07:56 PM
fines aren't enough of a deterent

gunner72
08-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I don't know why someone would keep one anyway. Back when it was legal to keep one we ate one that was just over a meter and it was terible, not to mention there's no way they would ever get a taxidermist to touch it. I don't see the point?

whitetail Junkie
08-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't know why someone would keep one anyway. Back when it was legal to keep one we ate one that was just over a meter and it was terible, not to mention there's no way they would ever get a taxidermist to touch it. I don't see the point?

I Eat Smoked Sturgeon Down East Every year,it's one of my Favorite's a True delicacy.However I Never Tried the Caviar:sick:.

There are Millions of sturgeon in the ST Lawrence River in Quebec.They aint as indangered or threatened as people make us believe.

I'd like to see them give out 100 Sturgeon Draw Tags in Alberta Just Like they Draw For walleye in some lake's.If the Government saw all the $$$ they would make from everyone drawing,i'm sure the crooks would go for it.

Steven Noel
08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I Eat Smoked Sturgeon Down East Every year,it's one of my Favorite's a True delicacy.However I Never Tried the Caviar:sick:.

There are Millions of sturgeon in the ST Lawrence River in Quebec.They aint as indangered or threatened as people make us believe.

I'd like to see them give out 100 Sturgeon Draw Tags in Alberta Just Like they Draw For walleye in some lake's.If the Government saw all the $$$ they would make from everyone drawing,i'm sure the crooks would go for it.

They estimate there's not many more then 100 adult, breeding sturgeon in Alberta. So taking 100 of them out is probably not the best of ideas.

Guitarplayingfish
08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
My question is why would someone ask a question like that unless they were planning on keeping one? They are illegal to keep and that should be all that matters..

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Follow the regulations, and keep the fisheries open for new generations. Not only that, but chances are most of the sturgeon you catch are anywhere from 10-100 years old... Why would anyone want to end the life of a 75 year old dinosaur fish? It has probably lived longer than you. Its illegal, thats what matters. A bull trout is a 5000$ fish. I cant imagine a CO would give a 200$ fine for a kept sturgeon... Hell, even a barbed hook is a 400$ fine. If its only 200$ fine... There is SERIOUSLY something wrong with fish and wildlife.

Fishfinder
08-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Agreed. Eating a Fish, let alone a sturg outta these rivs...no thanx.
Gladly I have not seen anyone take sturg nor heard anyone speak of themselves taking sturgeon from these waters. However, I do not see alot, stories I hear of what takes place by some people under the cover of night.....well, that's a whole nother story. Grr.
Cheers n GL!

gunner72
08-03-2010, 08:39 PM
They estimate there's not many more then 100 adult, breeding sturgeon in Alberta. So taking 100 of them out is probably not the best of ideas.

Just like there estamate number of 3 grizz between the number 3 hyway and waterton park. I think you can take that with a grain of salt considering I saw 133% of that areas grizzly's this spring in bear season. I still wouldn't keep one.

Fishfinder
08-03-2010, 08:40 PM

I estimate that their estimations are way off. I agree though, keep them all in there. Keep the 0 catch limit as is and ensure the fines are huge for those that disobey. Like loss of license for a 2 years and a 2500.00 fine or something like that.

whitetail Junkie
08-03-2010, 08:41 PM

I Dont Buy that there are only 100 Breeding Sturgeon in Alberta.If that was the Case I know A guy in Medicine hat that catches all 100 every year.He runs a sturgeon guideing business on the SSR.Just more propaganda,besides they can create a slot size,So the Big guys can be Released.

matt04
08-03-2010, 08:42 PM

what's wrong with asking?

Sundancefisher
08-03-2010, 08:55 PM

I would have no trouble getting a sturgeon from a taxidermist. Three words. "Graphite replica mount".

After landing the fish. Take a length nose to tip tail while under water breathing. Take a girth. Then lift sturgeon. Take side picks. Take top pic. Take bottom pick. Being quick and allowing some under water time so that the fish is not out of the water more than 30 seconds. Then ensure revival and release.

Take measurements and pics to taxidermist. Wait for finished product. Looks great and lasts better than a real mount.

Cheers

Sun

gunner72
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
I stand corrected thats a good idea.

S.A.S
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Should be 5 years in Edmonton Max in the goof unit. Hang out with stenkie and Wolfleg for a few years, see if you are as willing to take a sturgeon then.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Well that may be the maximum fine, but more than likely the CO would hand you a $200 ticket, then you could just go whine to a judge and get out of it. We need to redo our fisheries management.

Naw I think it would be more likely Manditory court appearance , and 1500 fine . But the maximum penilty could be up to a hundred thousand dollars .

1/2 oz Bucktail
08-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Not to hijack a thread but, seriously I am sick of all the goddamn "Its all government propaganda" redneck garbage. Holy f$%k, are any of you guys P. Biols? Probably not. So maybe most of you don't understand the difficulties in species population modelling. A number of anecdotal observations "my friend saw 20 Grizzlies that are all different" or "that river is right full of sturg" will not formulate a population estimate.

There is no such thing as a "sustainable" harvest.

Leave the goddamn sturg alone, keep as many alive so that we have as large of a genetic pool as possible to keep the species viable.

ishootbambi
08-04-2010, 08:55 AM

having firsthand knowledge of the tagging program currently ongoing in the SSR i can guarantee you that there are more than 100 breeding sturgeon in the medicine hat area alone. thats not an estimate.....its fish that have been tagged. computer modelling is absolutely not the most reliable way to count anything. sometimes its all thats available, but this is yet another case where it is flat out wrong. if you computer model the facts as discovered by the MHFGA tagging program, that number eaasily turns into thousands.

lemme toss this out there. if 2 guys in medicine hat have tagged around 500 fish over the last 2 years, how many do you reckon there might be?

EZM
08-04-2010, 09:11 AM
On the "forks" where the Oldman/Bow converge into the S.Sask River, there is a healthy imature population of Sturgeon, however, as noted, these are imature fish and we are probably 30-40 years away form sustainable harvest in that partucular area. This area was heavily fished years ago.

There should be no harvest until we see mature fish and a healthy cross section of age/population.

On the internet (you tube), which makes me sick, there are a few jerks filming themselves targeting and catching Sturgeon (at the forks). They have a "guide".

There should be fines for specifically targeting a protected species. Remember, catch and release, particularly with bait, results in mortality. Meaning of the 15-20 Sturegeon these clowns caught, several probably died.

The fish, see the video, were rolling around in the dirt, held up by thier tails, posed for pictures etc.....

Have these guys ever heard of wading into the water to take a picture to limit the impact on this protected species?

The guide and the fishermen should be subjected to fines and punished for this stupidity.

Good thing these clowns put the evidence on tape for all of us to see. If I see these clowns around, trust me, I will hold them underwater for 10 minutes, drag them accross the bottom and take a pics myself. Maybe several of them (hopefully) will die then too.

Disgusting.

Guitarplayingfish
08-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Leave the goddamn sturg alone, keep as many alive so that we have as large of a genetic pool as possible to keep the species viable.

x2

alodar
08-04-2010, 09:24 AM
until the species is removed form the endangered species list there should not be a harvest if they think a few sturgeon can be removed form the ssr than they should be introduced to the NSR to help the weaker of the 2 populations. However I see no problem in targeting them as even the F&W is asking the group of us to start recording lengths and girths of untagged fish for them and tag numbers as well as the length and girth for the tagged sturgeon targeting a species like that if they are being handled properly is actually good for the species helps the powers that be monitor the fish since there are only so many taggers and so much money to go around.

DuckBrat
08-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Not to hijack a thread but, seriously I am sick of all the goddamn "Its all government propaganda" redneck garbage. Holy f$%k, are any of you guys P. Biols? Probably not. So maybe most of you don't understand the difficulties in species population modelling. A number of anecdotal observations "my friend saw 20 Grizzlies that are all different" or "that river is right full of sturg" will not formulate a population estimate.

There is no such thing as a "sustainable" harvest.

viable.

x 2 and amen.