PDA

View Full Version : Fishfinder sonar

Typical
08-03-2010, 09:33 PM
I presently own a Lowrance x 50 ds fishfinder, The problem I'm having is it looses the bottom at high speed and most of the time the depth is not accurate.
I tried to ajust the transducer as per the manufacture recomendation without any improvement.
Now I had it,

Whay make of fishfinder shoult I buy ? I would like to spend around 200.00

Thanks

Geezle
08-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Is the depth not accurate when you're moving (fast) or is it also off when you're sitting stationary?

Try slowing down...

Typical
08-03-2010, 09:40 PM
It vary at different speed, sometimes I go around 20 MPH and it still loose the bottom, sometimes it shows 200 feet when there is actualy 10 ft.

The unit is only 1 year old, what do you think ?

npauls
08-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I Have been having the same problem with losing the bottom while traveling at full speed with my hds 8. I have adjusted the transducer a ton of times and still can't seem to get it to work all the time. It is a 50/50 chance while heading across a lake that it will cut out for awhile.

Nate

dmvcaly
08-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Is the depth not accurate when you're moving (fast) or is it also off when you're sitting stationary?

Try slowing down...

I agree with this statement here. If you are travelling with any sort of speed its hard for the transducer to pick up the signal. Slow it down and see if that works.
:bad_boys_20:

Winch101
08-04-2010, 07:00 AM
There was a recall on these units , just for that reason ...

stopped reading .... I have one in the box here that has been fixed

but this was a pretty cheap unit .

I have the new Lowrance Mark 5 X ( i think) this is without

a doubt the best sonar under , any price I have used

reads in Travers at 35 to 38 MPH in any depth ....

No other unit I have owned would do this , too

much loon poo on the bottom ..the bottom separation

is excellent . I was ready to give up on Lowrance

but this one seems to be good ... my .02 cents

Tcw
08-04-2010, 07:24 AM
I also have one that does the same, even at low speed.
I also can not get the fish arches to appear at all,even doing all the steps
described in the manual. I use it at 0-80 ft for the lakes around me and works ok when I'm trolling the outer edges.
Now seeing the last post I will looking for that recall info, Starting with
Alberta Marine, so far, not too impressed

Thanks for the info Whinch101

Tcw

jeprli
08-04-2010, 08:43 AM
If you have a 200khz option on that thing you should be able to pick up the signal at higher speeds.

Winch101
08-04-2010, 09:07 AM
There are a few constants with sonars ...

1.. Lowrance skimmer transducer is best for high speed use ,

It is almost impossible to get rid of the rooster tail in a Bird Taransducer

so more interference ..

2 .. Find the Ping Speed on these units and turn it down .

Turn on your unit out of the water and listen to the transducer

if the click- click is rapid , good . If it seems kind of slow

than this is not good ... Bad transducer is always possible ...

3. When mounting the Transducer , you have to be aware of the

boat configuration , keels etc and the angle of the transom ,

I have mounted a pile of these and it can be tricky

I am not sure there is a marine dealer in Calgary that can do it right ..

4 . You can always drag your boat by the fishing hole and get Kelly to look at it ... just to make sure installation is right ...

W101

PS .. Good luck with alberta marine , keep us posted on how it goes ..

we all enjoy a little comedy ....

Hunter Trav
08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Whay make of fishfinder shoult I buy ? I would like to spend around 200.00

Do you ice fish as well? If you do look at getting the Lowrance X-67-C. You can get in in an ice package and buy the boat transducer seperate, or do it the other way around. It will cost you more than a couple hundred, but not alot more. I think I spent between $350-$400 on mine, and I've been quite happy with it so far. Its also a color unit which is a plus. Might be worth looking at even if you don't do any icefishing. With the boat Transducer I believe it runs just under the $300 mark.

Walleye King
08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
X 2 On the Lowrance X67C !!! I bought mine off of costco.com 2 years ago for $ 179.99. Mounted it on my 1999 17 ft Glastron and it has never lost bottom or given me a false reading. Whether idling out of the marina at Faust, or doing 45mph across the lake. Costco.com has a Humminbird Piranha max 190c right now for 199.99 including shipping and handling. My buddy has one on his 18 ft Four Winns and he says it operates like a dream. Very easy to use as well, and he is out on the water 3 or 4 days a week! Great return policy as well, return it to any store in the USA or Canada no questions asked. I should know i've worked there for 20 years 5 of them in Management. Go with the X 67C or the Piranha 190C and you wont be dissapointed. Good luck and let me know how you made out. Walleye King.............

Tcw
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
All info is good, I have a call into TFH, waiting for return call
The unit is at 200 khz,
I checked the clicking sound , starts with half dozen quick clicks, 4 medium speed, then 2 slow clicks,, then repeats.

I would assume that it all would have been factory installed at Lund???

Dont get me wrong, Fishing has been fan tastic,,, but still would like the use of the thing

Again,, Thanks Winch 101 for your help,
and all others, and I never even started this thread
Tcw

Typical
08-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone for all your responses,

briangeorge
08-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I have a Hummingbird Model 70 on a brand new boat. Fish finder was part of the package. It has the same issue of accurate depths at high speeds. I had a reading of 299 feet on the week-end. Also mine hardly ever shows fish on Fish ID. I was over an excellent spot anchored catching fish on the week-end and I had trolled over the area just before and there was nothing on the Fish ID. It does work very good for depths at slower speeds.
Regards:
briangeorge

Freedom55
08-05-2010, 08:40 AM
If the transducer cable is bundled with the starter and electrics cables then you will be picking up interference from the engine electronics. The marina that sold me the boat bundled the cables so I moved mine to the opposite gun'le and the screen images improved. Also the Lowrance sends better data if you turn ON the zoom and turn OFF the fish alarm mode.
Remember that these are sonar units designed to find the bottom and bottom structure. Learn to recognize fish habitat and how to locate that with whatever unit you have. They are not the best "fish-finders" in the world when you consider that a 200$ unit cannot compare to a 3000$ unit that all but puts the fish in the boat for you. I also have had mine on and adjusted properly and still not seen the fish that were actively enjoying my jig and leech right below the boat.
I have a Lowrance with a transom mounted transducer and a dash mounted screen plus a Piranha portable with a suction cup transducer in the prow and neither will agree with the other when it comes to recognizing fish in the area, but both are wizards at locating the bottom and Joe's old boat. Fish love Joe's boat. And that pile of rocks nearby. And that weed line. You get the picture. Even if it is black and white.

Tcw
08-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Went out yesterday, dropped boat in, sat in the bay area,and went through
manual intrstructions, and resest monitor as described,,,,
Now- I got nothing, the only scene which works, is the simulator,
which now comes on, on each power up. And the clickin sound from the
transducer, is no more. Oh what fun!!!

Stopped at Alberta Marine, and was told, " Well, just take it off and send it
away for repair, and warranty"

Lets see here,, I just dropped 30 grand plus, and it's my job to get the stuff
fixed?????
Not too happy, calls are starting today,

I just wanted to add my thanks again to the input on this thread, and to
Kelly at TFH. Has helped me find problems, and what to look for.

I now know, that I should have bought a bare boat, and added my own
extras,, the package deals are a joke. And I fell for it.
Hopefully , this can help someone else

Thanks again
Tcw