PDA

View Full Version : Fins for float tube

kinwahkly
08-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Just bought a new float tube, was wondering if anybody could give any info on what kind of fins to use as there are a number of diffrent ones on the market

Kingfisher
08-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Force brand fins are the usually recommended fin for a float tube.
http://diverfiles.net-genie.co.uk/data/images/0206force1.jpg
Force fins

There are several knock offs out there that are half the price. Or you can just use some scuba diving fins. As long as you strap them on tight you won't have a problem.
http://users.scronline.com/bgoshorn/ebaypix/scuba/IMG_0019.JPG
Scuba diving fins

Rob

Doc
08-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Force fins are by far your best choice as they're designed to do a lot of the work for you but there's a price tag with them. Diver's fins have a large surface area to displace lots of water but will you make you work hard and are not as durable as some other fins made for float tubing (the straps fall apart quickly) and the Caddis fins (and it's counterparts) made for float tubing don't have enough surface area in turn making you work even more but will last a long time. The Force fin knock-offs may look the same as the real force fins but do not react the same (they do not store anywhere near the same amount of energy for the snap back) so they are no different than the Caddis fins. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc

AngusMacHuge
08-05-2010, 05:01 AM
I used cheap (free for me from a friend who quit diving) fins before buying force fins. The particular pair of dive fins that I had were just a bit small for fitting over my waders, so I decided to buy new fins and caved into the hype. I have to say that I was not overwhelmed by the difference. The force fins are a touch more efficient, and bit more maneuverable, but not enough of either to warrant the cost. The problem with the dive fins and force fin knock-offs is the wide variation in quality within the $30-50 price range. Some are ok, most are crap. Read reviews, scan kijiji from time to time, buy yourself something else with the savings.