PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing books

matt04
08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Anyone have any recomendations for any books about fly fishing rivers in alberta? I'm looking for a good read for when i can't be out fishing. I bought my first fly rod a few years ago and for the last couple of years I didn't pursue it much, but this year for some reason it just clicked and now I'm addicted! I'm looking to expand my knowledge of our rivers and streams in alberta as well as the insects and species of fish that inhabit them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanx
matt:)

mikeym
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
the must have book on trout streams in Alberta is Barry Mitchells Trout Hiway (not actually sure of exact name, but along that line).

it covers the entire forestry trunk road from southern alberta to northern alberta and while he goes into more detail on some streams (mostly the ones he fishes the most) then others, it has a lot of good info in it, not just on the rivers and streams themsleves, but some helpful hints and techniques also.

sould be able to get it at any fishing shop in Alberta. I know the Fishing Hole and Fishing Centre in Edmonton have it for sure.

a must have.

Rgds
Mike

Heimdallr
08-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Trout Streams of Alberta and Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams by Jim McLennan.

matt04
08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
thanks guys

Scott N
08-05-2010, 10:55 AM
"The Essential Guide To Fly-Fishing" by Clive Shaupmeyer is a good book on fly fishing techniques. He's from Alberta, Coaldale I think, so the book has a lot of effective methods for Alberta's waters.

matt04
08-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Trout Streams of Alberta and Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams by Jim McLennan.

I checked those books out. They are exactly what I'm looking for.

mikebossy
08-05-2010, 11:23 PM
blue ribbon bow is another must have, think jim mclennan is the author

matt04
08-05-2010, 11:33 PM
yep, I looked up all of his books. he has four. I want them all!!!

Geezle
08-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Fish & Tell and Go To Hell is a great book of short stories about stream fishing in Alberta :)

Sorry, I can't remember the author on the cover though :(