PDA

View Full Version : Hog Of A Salmon..

Walleyes
08-05-2010, 04:47 PM
For us Salmon seekers on the board..

Check out this one that was caught a couple days ago,, unbelievable.. Once in a lifetime for sure,, maybe a few lifetimes..

http://www.nadenlodge.com/Bodnarchuk71B.jpg

http://www.nadenlodge.com/Bodnarchuk71.jpg

gramps73
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Stop it right now that is not fair, I had to give up on my trip this year..maybe next year
g73

SNAPFisher
08-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Good lord!!! What a salmon! Thanks for sending the link.

Walleyes
08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I feel your pain gramps,, I also cancelled my annual trip out west this summer..
Damn weather had us shut down for 4 months this spring and I just couldn't see us going out there when I had work availible.. I phoned 3 weeks ago and cancelled my cabin and boat slip.. Oh well it will be that much sweater next year.. Lord willing I am hoping to go someplace different next summer,, maybe Tofino, Port Reny,, Hardy ?? we will see.. Been doing the Sooke thing for about 9 years now time for a change..

gramps73
08-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Walleye
If you are thinking of Hardy next year let me know I know some of the guides and my uncles lives out that way..
g73

Walleyes
08-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Walleye
If you are thinking of Hardy next year let me know I know some of the guides and my uncles lives out that way..
g73

Sounds good gramps thx.. I do take my own boat out but a guy needs the local input to get him started on the hot spots..

Appreciate it gramps and I will keep it in mind..

blackpheasant
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Hog is right and a 2 hour battle, damn that would have been the ultimate just to be there for that..maybe one of these years our crew will be blessed with one of those, were going to keep tryin thats for sure...thanks for posting Walleyes :)

The Elkster
08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Man that is a hog! Its times like these that having a partner that fishes doesn't pay off. Almost 10G's for 4 days fishing is too steep for me even with fish like that :scared0018: dohhhhhh Hope to get out there with the boat next year though.

2big4u
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
That is Hawt... Beast of a fish.

Rockymtnx
08-05-2010, 10:02 PM
That is indeed a HOG.
Thanks for sharing the pic with us.

matt04
08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
wow

savagencounter
08-05-2010, 10:51 PM
just got back from terrace and the runs of springs in the river were very small and very few fish. likely keeping the big 71lb spawning females and COMMERCIAL sport guides might have something to do with record low numbers of returning salmon. Myself i hope they close spring fishing for 7 years to let the stocks get back to where they used to be. The numbers of fish counted returning to the skeena watershed this year is scary even the commercial boats arent allowed out. Hope they start regulating these guided outfits more. If you guys couldnt go this year you didnt miss much, an saved a load of money. The spring salmon are really in some trouble and the dfo isnt saying a g dam thing. Not against keeping fish up to a certain size, but growing up in the area and fishing it every year since i was 3 the guided boats off the charlottes and rupert kill as much if not more then a commercial boat FACT and they are not limited like the commercial boats. STUPID.

Jamie
08-05-2010, 11:57 PM
just got back from terrace and the runs of springs in the river were very small and very few fish. likely keeping the big 71lb spawning females and COMMERCIAL sport guides might have something to do with record low numbers of returning salmon. Myself i hope they close spring fishing for 7 years to let the stocks get back to where they used to be. The numbers of fish counted returning to the skeena watershed this year is scary even the commercial boats arent allowed out. Hope they start regulating these guided outfits more. If you guys couldnt go this year you didnt miss much, an saved a load of money. The spring salmon are really in some trouble and the dfo isnt saying a g dam thing. Not against keeping fish up to a certain size, but growing up in the area and fishing it every year since i was 3 the guided boats off the charlottes and rupert kill as much if not more then a commercial boat FACT and they are not limited like the commercial boats. STUPID.

Not sure if the Rec fisheries take more or less than the comercial guys..
But I do know they put a WHOLE heck of a lot more cash into the economy.

Jamie

FishBrain
08-06-2010, 09:49 AM
My brother started his 2 weeks fishing out the yesterday, Sure hope he gets a few like that

Erik
08-06-2010, 01:04 PM

Have you even worked in the Charlottes in a camp. I did for four seasons. The hold of some commercial boats is equivalent to the amount of all the fish that we ship out in an entire season. The average commercial boat is about 1/3 of one seasons fish. There are hundreds of commercial vessels, possibly thousands. The commercial catch is many times the sport-fishing haul. I'm not againts the commercial industry, but if you actually look at what is happening in salmon fishing country maybe that chip on your shoulder would be more directed at salmon farms which are spreading disease and parasites.

To say that the guides are not regulated is absolutely b.s. . There are still individual limits as to what the guests can catch and those must be obeyed. DFO does regular compliance checks and the fish is also monitored via the airports. Did you forget by-catch in the commercial industry?

In the last five or six years the sportfishing industry has been gutted by low tourism numbers and a high dollar. Many operations have gone belly-up and remain that way. There is a significantly less sport fishing operations than half a decade ago and I don't forsee them returning quickly.

I don't dispute that there are ethics involved in keeping a fish of that size, but apart from that I think you need to tone down your assault of the sport fishing industry. Or maybe you feel that sport fishing shouldn't occur at all??

Erik
08-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Nice salmon. Looks like a Wannock football. Is that Naden lodge?

sharpstick
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM
this pig was caught at Naden Lodge. The Lodge owner sent me the pics of their new lodge record and I started laughing as this guy is a friend of mine. Great fish Bondo.

SS

blackpheasant
08-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Have you even worked in the Charlottes in a camp. I did for four seasons. The hold of some commercial boats is equivalent to the amount of all the fish that we ship out in an entire season. The average commercial boat is about 1/3 of one seasons fish. There are hundreds of commercial vessels, possibly thousands. The commercial catch is many times the sport-fishing haul. I'm not againts the commercial industry, but if you actually look at what is happening in salmon fishing country maybe that chip on your shoulder would be more directed at salmon farms which are spreading disease and parasites.

To say that the guides are not regulated is absolutely b.s. . There are still individual limits as to what the guests can catch and those must be obeyed. DFO does regular compliance checks and the fish is also monitored via the airports. Did you forget by-catch in the commercial industry?

In the last five or six years the sportfishing industry has been gutted by low tourism numbers and a high dollar. Many operations have gone belly-up and remain that way. There is a significantly less sport fishing operations than half a decade ago and I don't forsee them returning quickly.

I don't dispute that there are ethics involved in keeping a fish of that size, but apart from that I think you need to tone down your assault of the sport fishing industry. Or maybe you feel that sport fishing shouldn't occur at all??

Lets not forget the ever increasing number of seals out there either...I guess some people just find it to easy to blame the sport fishery for everything all the time and thats to bad...I don't think it's all doom and gloom out there many of the fisheries on the coast have been exceptional over the past few years, even Campbell River has a fishery again...

Walleyes
08-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Bah,, don't worry about comments like Savagencouter's.. People like that just have to make excuses for being sh!tty fishermen.. Must be somebody's fault if they don't fill their coolers..

And as far as throwing it back,, why ??? whats the difference between keeping that fish or a 30 pounder they are both spawners why is killing one worse than killing the other.. oh I know cause you never caught it thats why.. A man may be blessed once in a lifetime to hold onto a fish like that more than likely not but maybe there is absolutely no shame in keeping it no shame at all.. I know what I would do,, BONK,, BONK and in the tub..

SNAPFisher
08-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Amen!

You know there is no thread on here anymore that is going to go by without the ultimate shift in topic. SA is just keeping up the new tradition. :fighting0030:

Erik
08-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Bah,, don't worry about comments like Savagencouter's.. People like that just have to make excuses for being sh!tty fishermen.. Must be somebody's fault if they don't fill their coolers..

And as far as throwing it back,, why ??? whats the difference between keeping that fish or a 30 pounder they are both spawners why is killing one worse than killing the other.. oh I know cause you never caught it thats why.. A man may be blessed once in a lifetime to hold onto a fish like that more than likely not but maybe there is absolutely no shame in keeping it no shame at all.. I know what I would do,, BONK,, BONK and in the tub..

I don't have any problem with anyone keeping a 70 lb fish. I think that some people have ethical considerations when catching a fish like that. Their argument usually goes like: if I catch and keep this fish then there are less 70 lb genes in the spawning pool. Most people that I know that hold these views are actually people that have already caught and kept several 50+lb fish and if they catch another they are happy to let it go. If it was my first big fish I would definitely keep it and I think that most people would feel the same. Frankly, I think that the impact of sport fishing is quite low in open fishing like the Charlottes and places where it does impact runs, like Rivers Inlet, DFO regulates heavily anyway.

Good on you for that fish.

Walleyes
08-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't have any problem with anyone keeping a 70 lb fish. I think that some people have ethical considerations when catching a fish like that. Their argument usually goes like: if I catch and keep this fish then there are less 70 lb genes in the spawning pool. Most people that I know that hold these views are actually people that have already caught and kept several 50+lb fish and if they catch another they are happy to let it go. If it was my first big fish I would definitely keep it and I think that most people would feel the same. Frankly, I think that the impact of sport fishing is quite low in open fishing like the Charlottes and places where it does impact runs, like Rivers Inlet, DFO regulates heavily anyway.

Good on you for that fish.

Good points Erik..

But just to clarify this is not my fish,, I got the info from Naden Lodges web site.. It was posted up but as usual one of our members freaked,, derailed the thread and the original post had to be edited to just show the pics..

Erik
08-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I see. Well, in that case I share your longing to hook into a fish like that. Though I've seen many fish over 50 lbs, the best I've done personally is a 39 lb white chinook that took me an hour to land. Good luck on your next trip!!

savagencounter
08-06-2010, 06:48 PM

****ty fisherman hey there OLD MAN lol you wish you have caught as many large salmon and halibut as i have lol by the way my biggest spring was 82lbs out of the kalum river in 97. I kept LOTS of fish Just not the big spawning females you wouldnt understand that would you? i caught quite a few springs this year did you? DOnt believe my fish story the pics at agar red an white terrace b.c. I KEEP FISH but i also understand the importance of genetics buy i guess you have to go to school to know that hey ?SIMPLE FACT people like you who keep all the big ones will affect the future size and quality of the spring salmon. Keep fish but use common sense. PS i kept the 82lb spring and i never forgot the bad feeling i got killing it I knew i was doing something wrong.

Walleyes
08-06-2010, 07:04 PM
Well aren't you just the big fella on the block.. :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

savagencounter
08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Well aren't you just the big fella on the block.. :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

By Shaun Thomas - The Northern View
Published: July 13, 2010 11:00 PM
Skeena – Bulkley Valley MP Nathan Cullen says some significant changes need to be made in how both the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Federal Government operate if the commercial industry is to remain sustainable.

The comments come during what Cullen termed a “tragic” season for the fleet on the North Coast, and Cullen said part of the solution needs to be more stakeholder engagement and equality between the commercial and sport sectors.

“The frustration the commercial fishermen have is that there is so little oversight over the sport industry. The commercial side has to face all sorts of regulations, observation and rules, but the sports side seems to be able to fish regardless of the situation with the fish and have very little to no oversight. Those things have to be improved dramatically,” he said during a July 8 media call, noting he’s been pushing for an overhaul of the system since he was elected.

Jamie
08-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Savage..
Got any pics of that 82 Pounder?

But your comments about the commercial fisheries bring every thing else into doubt. I did some research and the recreational catch is no where near what the commercial catch is.
Chinook 35%
Coho 30%
And the overall impact is 3% of all Salmon.

I do not doubt the level of your experience, but the level of your knowledge seems to be sorely lacking.

http://www.watershed-watch.org/publications/files/WWSS-SportsFishingReportCard-April2010.pdf

I wonder if these "Big Boys" have just changed there ways? I don't recall August as being the hot time of the year to catch BIG Salmon in the Charlotte's. But yet the QCI didn't start to hit until the last week in Jul and every week the Salmon keep getting bigger. I understand it, that they can not keep them off their lines at Langara this week.
As for the Skeena, it was explained to me by DFO at in the beginning of June, that they haven't seen the rivers running with Salmon so early in a while. They blamed it on water clarity. So perhaps you missed the run this year?

Jamie

savagencounter
08-06-2010, 07:07 PM

AT least im educated on what i talk about. Are you? OH ya i forgot your not from northern b.c are you?

savagencounter
08-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Savage..
Got any pics of that 82 Pounder?

But your comments about the commercial fisheries bring every thing else into doubt. I did some research and the recreational catch is no where near what the commercial catch is.
Chinook 35%
Coho 30%
And the overall impact is 3% of all Salmon.

I do not doubt the level of your experience, but the level of your knowledge seems to be sorely lacking.

http://www.watershed-watch.org/publications/files/WWSS-SportsFishingReportCard-April2010.pdf

I wonder if these "Big Boys" have just changed there ways? I don't recall August as being the hot time of the year to catch BIG Salmon in the Charlotte's. But yet the QCI didn't start to hit until the last week in Jul and every week the Salmon keep getting bigger. I understand it, that they can not keep them off their lines at Langara this week.
As for the Skeena, it was explained to me by DFO at in the beginning of June, that they haven't seen the rivers running with Salmon so early in a while. They blamed it on water clarity. So perhaps you missed the run this year?

Jamie

There is alot of factors , fish farms, commercial, commercial sports fishing. everyone needs to smarten up or the fishing there will be like vancouver, I was there july 12- 22 and the charlottes 22- 28 caught lots of hali, snapper an cod a few springs and sharks. Water was clear, tons of fisherman, the commercial fishing was closed and the run was WAY lower than expected. ANY comment i make walleyes has to say somthing but i really dont care what he thinks i was born and raised in the area and still visit regularly and im sure me and my family have more time and experience salmon fishing then he will ever get.

Sundancefisher
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM
For us Salmon seekers on the board..

Check out this one that was caught a couple days ago,, unbelievable.. Once in a lifetime for sure,, maybe a few lifetimes..

http://www.nadenlodge.com/Bodnarchuk71B.jpg

http://www.nadenlodge.com/Bodnarchuk71.jpg

That is terrible you caught that fish. Dammit. I wanted to catch that hog in 3 weeks!

Sweet fish.

Walleyes
08-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Nah,, you ain't worth the argument,, carry on big fella but wacth out cause the sky is falling..

You should send a note to DSS and some of the boys fishing the west side of the island and let them know that there aren't any fish left..

Erik
08-06-2010, 08:10 PM
AT least im educated on what i talk about. Are you? OH ya i forgot your not from northern b.c are you?

Educated...questionable. I think Jamie called you on that one. I see that you quote the NDP. Last time I checked they did wonders for B.C.

I forgot to mention that I actually grew up in B.C. Northern interior born and bred. Worked four years in the Charlottes and a year in Rivers Inlet. Stop trolling for trouble in these forums. You've ruined a perfectly good thread about how we all like to fish. Let's agree that whether we catch and keep or catch and release we all like to fish for large chinook salmon. B.C. has a forum too...go pollute their waters with your dribble if you want to take issue or find a better way of wording your opinion.

Jamie
08-06-2010, 08:26 PM
There is alot of factors , fish farms, commercial, commercial sports fishing. everyone needs to smarten up or the fishing there will be like vancouver, I was there july 12- 22 and the charlottes 22- 28 caught lots of hali, snapper an cod a few springs and sharks. Water was clear, tons of fisherman, the commercial fishing was closed and the run was WAY lower than expected. ANY comment i make walleyes has to say somthing but i really dont care what he thinks i was born and raised in the area and still visit regularly and im sure me and my family have more time and experience salmon fishing then he will ever get.

Savage, I was more interested in a conversation as to the value of a commercial fishery VRS a Sports fishery.
I take it from your comments you seem to think the commercial guys are more entitled to the fish then the Sporty's?

Thanks
Jamie

Jamie
08-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Here is the latest report from Langara

"Outstanding. Well folks my job has been pretty easy the last few days as we are experiencing the best salmon fishing of season. There has been no need to go any further than Andrews Point. 15-40 pulls has been producing Chinooks and Cohos in double and triple headers. Many boats are releasing multiple Chinooks every day for the last few days looking for that big trophy. Some have found it with several tyees being brought to the dock. Guy Dean leads the way for this group with a 39lber. The cohos are averaging over 10lbs now. Everybody will hit their limits that choose to. Bruin Bay’s looking pretty fishy right now so I have to go."

I find it odd that the fishing is so good right now for Chinooks. For you guys that have worked up that way, what do you think?

Thanks
Jamie

cleson
08-06-2010, 09:14 PM

I like the Nass regs. Use bait if you like, but you can only keep 1 per month. the season is only good in August. Pay your liscence, Nisgaa waters fishing fee. Catch 5 to 10 Chinook per day, but only tag one per month.

Rockymtnx
08-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Ok boys sorry I had to do this but it is obvious where this is heading.
Thanks Jamie for posting your info. Real facts go a long ways compared to hearsay.

Once again a great thread with some great pictures derailed and off topic.

CLOSED!