PDA

View Full Version : Newbie fly fisherman.....so many options where to go?

dmckay
08-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm taking off today and possibly tomorrow to go fly fishing. There are so many options on where to go, but I neeeeeedddddd to get out of the city for some quiet. I'm turning 38 on Sunday and I just want a nice peaceful weekend.....don't party much anymore. I don't have waders or a boat. I just plan on shorts and sandals standing in a river somewhere for a day or evening trip. Any suggestions within an hour...maybe Kananaskis somewhere? I'm not asking for an exact spot or anything, just an idea where to start. If anyone wants to come along and show a newb a few tips that would be great too!

Urban Nightmare
08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Happy Bday. I turn 38 on Monday!

Can't help with the fly fishing as I haven't tried it yet. Good luck.

dmckay
08-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks Urban! Happy Birthday to you too!

Calgaryguy1977
08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Depends on what part of K country you are going to as it is soo huge. If you are going to the south part theres mclean and allen bill ponds. Central K theres uppper lake and elbow lake for example. Then closer to the trans Canada theres the barrier lake and sibald ponds and sibald meadows pond. All of those places are fantastic spots for fly fishing. In terms of rivers or creeks you may wanna try the highwood river west of longview in k country or cataract creek which is just past highwood house.
Hope this helps!
Cheers

Argentus
08-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Another stillwater to try is Wedge Pond, off the #40 in North K-country. It's full of Grayling (C&R), which are usually happy to hit anything resembling a midge/mosquito, or bead-head nymphs. It also has a fairly wide shore, which gives you room to back-cast without getting near the fly-eating trees.