PDA

View Full Version : Reservoir funny catch

Guitarplayingfish
08-06-2010, 11:07 PM
So I friend and I went to one of the southern reservoirs today... It was quite hot out, but i managed to hook up 3 walleye, and every cast i would get a bite. 2 were small, and one was just over legal limit (released). It had been a decent day for me, but unfortunately my friend wasn't having the greatest luck. He had a couple bites, and he was getting discouraged. We decided to pack it in for the day, and just as i was reeling in, I look over to see buddy set the hook on a nibble. As he is bringing it in, we both think he has a stick because there was some extra weight but no fight. He brought it in, and to our surprise he had a crawfish on his line! It ate the worm hahaha. I have never seen anyone catch one on a fishing rod. I've been fishing these reservoirs forever, and to my knowledge these things have been illegally introduced to this area. =( regardless, I have been laughing ever since. It was hilarious. Thats my story of the day

Fishfinder
08-06-2010, 11:15 PM
So I friend and I went to one of the southern reservoirs today... It was quite hot out, but i managed to hook up 3 walleye, and every cast i would get a bite. 2 were small, and one was just over legal limit (released). It had been a decent day for me, but unfortunately my friend wasn't having the greatest luck. He had a couple bites, and he was getting discouraged. We decided to pack it in for the day, and just as i was reeling in, I look over to see buddy set the hook on a nibble. As he is bringing it in, we both think he has a stick because there was some extra weight but no fight. He brought it in, and to our surprise he had a crawfish on his line! It ate the worm hahaha. I have never seen anyone catch one on a fishing rod. I've been fishing these reservoirs forever, and to my knowledge these things have been illegally introduced to this area. =( regardless, I have been laughing ever since. It was hilarious. Thats my story of the day

Good stuff! I landed one too last year, on a minnow haha if u can believe that....I reeled in after a slight tug, could feel a minor battle....minnow gone, crawfish on lol. He was happily released...after a few pics:)

kingkongpennock
08-06-2010, 11:22 PM
my brother caught a crawfish on his pickerel rig. but the crawfish didn't go for the bait, it attached to the weight on the bottom. it was hilarious.

Paul C
08-07-2010, 03:27 PM
There is lots of those in the SSR, NSR, Carson, Hertiage Lake, Lacombe Park pond in St.Albert and I haved missed lots of others. Fly fishing in the NSR you can watch them swim by you with there claws open.

soggysocks
08-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah I managed it once myself last year in Diefenbaker...Felt a little nibble and hooked him through the abdomen sadly. Also caught 2 clams that year too, and they let go of your hook for nothing!