PDA

View Full Version : edmonton area pike shore fishing/mayatan

kingkongpennock
08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
my brother and I want to do some shore pike fishing in the edmonton area (1 hour drive from edmonton max). coal lake is too weedy, and we don't want to go to wabamun, so we tried to find mayatan lake for the hell of it. we know that it is beside jackfish lake, but could not find a public access to the boat launch/shore.

could someone let me know how to get to mayatan? also, what are some other good pike shore fishing lakes.

fish-man
08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
I was gonna suggest Wabamun, but if you don't want to go there, try the North Saskatchewan river. Jackfish has lots of pike you could probably catch off shore also. I've heard McGregor lake has good shore fishing, but never been.

kingkongpennock
08-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I was also thinking of the north saskatchewan near devon. and I will have to look up mcgregor lake. thanks.

CantThinkOfAName
08-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Actually we just had a quick discussion on trying to find Mayatan Lake
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=65111

Direction aren't the greatest but if you go west past Mink Lake, turn right at the t-intersection you can follow the subdivision signs to get close. Then look for the back of stop sign to go to the boat launch.

And as for shore fishing there... I don't think you really could. Not saying it ain't impossible but wouldn't be easy at all.

Actually I found it easier to buy a boat than to try and find shore fishing spots around Edmonton when I retook up fishing a couple years ago.

kingkongpennock
08-07-2010, 07:06 PM
thanks for the info on the directions to mayatan. but it's a shame that it is hard to shore fish. oh well. I guess we will try the NSR, or go for trout.

timsesink
08-08-2010, 08:28 AM
As said at this time of year it's NSR or nothing, the pike are to deep and the shorelines to weedy.

Geezle
08-08-2010, 08:42 AM
I'll toss another vote in for the NSR. On friday I was tossing out spinners for goldeye and pulled in one decent pike and had a couple others follow my spinner right up to shore.

fish-man
08-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Geezle, do you do a lot of pike fishing at the river? I fished the NSR all the time as a kid and cI thought they were pretty stretched out. I caught them one or two at a time, but never a lot from the same spot. I also remember them being crazy strong, much tougher to land than lake fish. Your thoughts?

Also, have you caught any huge ones in the NSR? I've heard rumors of absolute monsters, but the biggest ones I've seen and caught in the river were approaching 10 lbs.

alodar
08-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Geezle, do you do a lot of pike fishing at the river? I fished the NSR all the time as a kid and cI thought they were pretty stretched out. I caught them one or two at a time, but never a lot from the same spot. I also remember them being crazy strong, much tougher to land than lake fish. Your thoughts?

Also, have you caught any huge ones in the NSR? I've heard rumors of absolute monsters, but the biggest ones I've seen and caught in the river were approaching 10 lbs.

there are monster walleye so there should be monster pike too one would assume

-JR-
08-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Best is is NSR ,seen few guys at wabaman fishing from peir with no luck.

Below is a nice walleye from NSR
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Homewreacker/Aug32009NSR013.jpg

e40water12
08-09-2010, 10:37 PM
i am a firm believer of catching pike in the NSR. Once you catch one youre Hyped for more.

kingkongpennock
08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
what part of the nsr are you guys catching pike?

e40water12
08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I am catching them near Two Hills devernay bridge, And Marnam.

ddddd05
08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
If you fish the NSR for pike or anything for that matter look for slow moving current. An island or outcrop that blocks the current is nice. And look for depth, 6' is deep for the river.