PDA

View Full Version : carson pegasus fishing

richardslc
08-07-2010, 04:17 PM
My young kids are coming for the summer and we're gonna be camping at carson and i'm just wondering what kind of fish are in the lake, and what area is a good spot to catch some. Or if there's a good fishing lake nearby. We will have a smaller boat so we can cruise to area's around the lake if need be. Thanks for any info.

emskjoth
08-07-2010, 04:41 PM
My husband and I go up there often we are actually going up there for two weeks starting August 16th. There are rainbows, suckers and crawfish for the kids to play with. We don't have a boat but the very west end of the sea wall is a good trout catching area. The kids really like catching the crawfish off the seawall (just use a hotdog on a stick and a net)~ Sorry I couldn't help you more.

fishman
08-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Best place to take a kid to catch small rainbows, there is some bigger fish but you have to get through a million small ones first........use a green fly like a wooley bugger and if you don't have a fly rod tie one a small swivel and make sure u have a least 7 or 8 feet of line after the swivel and tie on a fly but put a wieght up at least three feet up from the fly and if you need to get deeper just go to a bigger wieght and u will be into them...........both my boys caught there first trout on this lake, i never fish it anymore as i like bigger fish

Rooster777
08-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Carson is great. Fish the sea wall and use the slip bobber technique with 2lb test and power bait dough. Make sure the hook cannot be seen. You'll outfish all others using different methods 2:1 The sea wall is poor for bobbering if the wind is wrong. If so, head to the dock on the other side of the peninsula.

The problem with power bait is that the trout swallow it so deep that most all fish are keepers.

Fish Police always seem to be there, so ensure your barbs are 100% pinched and any crayfish are dead before you leave the boardwalk.

Emerald lake just north of Carson is my personal favorite little pond if you get tired of Rainbows and have a canoe. Never caught anything off the dock.

Paul C
08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Carson is great. Fish the sea wall and use the slip bobber technique with 2lb test and power bait dough. Make sure the hook cannot be seen. You'll outfish all others using different methods 2:1 The sea wall is poor for bobbering if the wind is wrong. If so, head to the dock on the other side of the peninsula.

The problem with power bait is that the trout swallow it so deep that most all fish are keepers.

Fish Police always seem to be there, so ensure your barbs are 100% pinched and any crayfish are dead before you leave the boardwalk.

Emerald lake just north of Carson is my personal favorite little pond if you get tired of Rainbows and have a canoe. Never caught anything off the dock.
I use my techinque and I will out fish you 10:1. Do not forgot that f & w are writing tickets for boating infractions.:character0053:

go-big-or-go-home
08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
what the pooh was up with that 3rd fish in your pics there Paul??

Paul C
08-10-2010, 04:46 PM
what the pooh was up with that 3rd fish in your pics there Paul??
That black head on that trout is only black on the photo side. They do change color when the spawn starts up in spring. It is strange to see trout like that. They are sure fun to catch that time of year.
Happy Rainbow Hunting. :)

fishman
08-10-2010, 09:31 PM
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to catch fish in this lake the biggest secret is to get your hook in the water and you will catch fish.........green is a very popular color but just about anything will work, i started fishing this lake in 1972 and am disguised with how fish management handle a lake that use to be the gem of alberta and now it is just a joke with a stocking program of close to 1/2 million fish a year...........carson had the rainbow record until 1982 and the fish that came out of carson was over 18 pounds now it takes about 20 fish to make that wieght.......i will get replies and pictures of bigger fish, i realize they are some bigger fish still but at what percentage and when is the last time you heard of a fish over 5 pounds being caught there........i watched the demize and decline of this lake, now what it is a lake for kids to catch fish and yes we need places like that just a shame to wreck this lake for that cost.............just one man's opinion

whitetalehunter12
08-13-2010, 01:06 AM
I fish carson all the time and have to say its basically just 6-9inchers. i went ice fishing in march and caught 14 fish. only two were over 12 inches. im going there this summer and am going to target the bigger fish. Paul c im very impressed at that last picture you had great job!!

Anomaly
08-13-2010, 09:22 AM
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to catch fish in this lake the biggest secret is to get your hook in the water and you will catch fish.........green is a very popular color but just about anything will work, i started fishing this lake in 1972 and am disguised with how fish management handle a lake that use to be the gem of alberta and now it is just a joke with a stocking program of close to 1/2 million fish a year...........carson had the rainbow record until 1982 and the fish that came out of carson was over 18 pounds now it takes about 20 fish to make that wieght.......i will get replies and pictures of bigger fish, i realize they are some bigger fish still but at what percentage and when is the last time you heard of a fish over 5 pounds being caught there........i watched the demize and decline of this lake, now what it is a lake for kids to catch fish and yes we need places like that just a shame to wreck this lake for that cost.............just one man's opinion

is it not possible that the stocking is high to counter massively increased demand since 1972?
Just playing devils advocate here, but i think a lake with trout that big in it these days would be an empty lake within 2 seasons....

fishman
08-13-2010, 09:41 AM
is it not possible that the stocking is high to counter massively increased demand since 1972?
Just playing devils advocate here, but i think a lake with trout that big in it these days would be an empty lake within 2 seasons....

Disagree..........getting a balance between numbers and size is not easy i realize but they took the easy way out and went for numbers......there is many lakes that have size fish and are not fished out.........eg Swan Lake......has produced big fish for years and the number of fish they stock is a shadow compared to Carson................swan they stock in between 30,000 to 50,000 every year it is about a 1/3 of the size that carson is, do the math...........i fished carson when they use to stock way less....i do not have my fish planting list handy as i am moving and it is packed away......the first stocking was around 75,000 fish if i remember right....ESSO actually paid for them...long story on that........with only that number of fish they were still being caught but man they grew.............they will be some people on here that fished it back in the hay days that can contest to it, the fish growth rate was unreal in about 1974 the average size fish being caught was around #4...............not 8 inchs like now.............i kind have a sore spot spot on what they did to this lake as i have lived in Whitecurt for 40 years and i know how it was and if managed probably it would still be a good lake

bossmann
08-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I agree totally fishman. i have had days in years past ( maybe 15 years ago) where every fish in the boat was over 5lbs. It was great. Maybe it isn’t so bad that some people keep every one they catch in there, but it would be a better idea to cut the stocking rate down a bit also.
Hey Paul c nice fish thanks for posting but the reality is that fish was once too small to conceder taking home from Carson. Now a days a whopper though.

One thing is certain that we can all agree on the lake has some serous potential to produce good numbers of huge fish

Deep
08-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey Paul, these photos have been around a while-nice fish. Got any more recent ones..

fishman
08-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Fish management in this province is a joke, just throw a bunch of fish in a lake and hope nobody bitchs ............two lakes in this area that can produce big fish they overstock...the other lake is dolberg, the only saving grace for dolberg is there is still some big fish.yes carson has some to but dolberg has more, but the same at dolberg use to have way higher number big fish............at least doberg is still hanging in there to a degree and yes i would rather fish dolberg then carson any day...i live 10 minutes away from carson and refuse to fish it anymore i would rather travel the 50 miles to dolberg and catch some decent size fish or go to millers lake............it is a shame i have lake in my backyard that could be great and instead i have to travel a hour away to catch decent size fish......my answer is why don't we divide the lakes up to make more people happy..never make everybody happy.............lets make a few lakes flyfishing only lakes..................slot sizes..........only keep one etc and in they small little lake NO GAS MOTORS...........thats my rant.......i will get a few comments on the gas motors so be it

EZM
08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Not to hijack the thread - is there a decent boat launch for my 16ft smokercraft aluminum fishing boat? I realize there is a restriction on speed on the lake (if I remember correctly).

deanmc
08-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Not to hijack the thread - is there a decent boat launch for my 16ft smokercraft aluminum fishing boat? I realize there is a restriction on speed on the lake (if I remember correctly).

You wont have any trouble. There is a very nice boat launch.

Paul C
08-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey Paul, these photos have been around a while-nice fish. Got any more recent ones..
I have been buried alive in work trying to keep up with all those tackle orders. I will be heading out soon to a couple of my favorite trout lakes.
This year at Carson they put under sized fish in that will make ice fishing deadly this year and the spring of 2011 the fishing will be awesome.
The C.O was upset over the mix up with stocking but I was quite happy to see a bad thing really bringing good results in the long term.
Happy Trouty Hunting.:character0110: