PDA

View Full Version : Quantum energy pt spinning reel

buckmasterjr
08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Are these reels any good? I am planning on getting one but i have heard the bale gets really loose and when you set the hook the bale opens. Is this true?

gramps73
08-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Short answer NO
on of the best reels that I fish with, I have them on my jigging rods and also on my lindy rigs. I fish with the 10 ( small one)

Geezle
08-08-2010, 08:45 AM
I've never used one myself, but a buddy (thorne) has a couple of these reels and he absolutely loves them. Never heard of any problems with them either :)

clouserminnow
08-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Just like any reel they need to be maintained. I make sure the screws that hold the bail on are tight. I love mine and it can handle some big fish as the drag is silky smooth. I cast about twice as far as other reels I have used. Get one you won't be sorry.

Darren N
08-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I have a Quantam size 20 spinning reel. Not sure if it is the "Energy series?" I dont spin cast much but have it set up with an ugly stik that works well. Anyway I have it set up with a really thin fire-line. I love this line but the only thing that annoys me is that I have to lift the line off the bale when I open it to cast. Otherwise it jams in the corner because the line is so thin and does not cast out. Not sure if I were to use a mono line if this were to happen or not? that is the only issue I have. Otherwise it is a great reel. My question is does anyone else have any similiar problems to this?

buckmasterjr
08-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Short answer NO
on of the best reels that I fish with, I have them on my jigging rods and also on my lindy rigs. I fish with the 10 ( small one)

What kind of rod do you find best with the small one?

thorne
08-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Yep as Geeze mentioned I have a few, and they are great!! Smooth, light, and can take a banging! The jump to the Tour edition definately brings it up a notch, but I still love my energy series as well. Definately reccomend them and I have not had any issues at all with any of mine...only problem is if you have any other reels you use from before...they will feel just awful after you have used the energy for a bit....I gave one of my old rods to my son, and one day we switched back just to prove its the fisherman not the gear...man it was like watching VHS after BlueRay!!

gramps73
08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
What kind of rod do you find best with the small one?

I use the New Fenwick series both in 6' for jigging and 7' for lindy.
I have seen a 82.5 Walleye caught on one of these reels...and lots of 10 + fish

hunter49
08-08-2010, 03:30 PM
I have seen more than 1 fail from regular use. Unless your getting a real good deal on the Quantum, spend your money on a Shimano! I'd say get a Symetre for a little less money or spend a little more and get a Stradic.

Coulee
08-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I've had a Quantum Icon for the last few years. Smoothest drag I've ever seen, and I love the magnetic bail return. No spring to wear out. Just fished the Red Deer for three days last week, and it worked flawlessly, including on a couple of good walleye that tested the drag.

camshaft
08-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I cracked 2 (yes 2) ceramic drag discs in my quantum reel. I have now switched to stradic's...and wont be looking back.

Perhaps I got a bum reel (have 2 other quantums w/ no probs), but am much happier with the stradic.

buckmasterjr
08-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the replies:) I think i will get one.

AbAngler
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I've been using the Catalyst series for a few years now. I pull them apart every spring and clean/lube. No problems yet on 2 reels. Great middle/upper range spinning reels. I'm sure the Energy series is just as good, if not better with 2 extra bearings.

timsesink
08-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Canadain Tire is having some great sales on them every week right now.

buckmasterjr
08-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Canadain Tire is having some great sales on them every week right now.

They are having a sale but not the quantum energy.

Outt and Aboutt
08-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I bought an energy pti about 4 years back. I reel with my right hand and after about two years the bushing on the right side of the handle support wore to the point that the handle became loose and the gear drive tightens up when under load. So it's not good for much now. I don't use it enough to consider it normal wear and tear. They only put a bearing on the left side of the handle support, and use a cheaper bushing on the right side, I guess under the assumption that most people reel with their left hand and so that's the only side they need to beef up. So if you reel right handed, check to see if they put bearings on both sides of the handle support on newer models.
Other than that it was (was) a great reel.

Darren N
08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I bought an energy pti about 4 years back. I reel with my right hand and after about two years the bushing on the right side of the handle support wore to the point that the handle became loose and the gear drive tightens up when under load. So it's not good for much now. I don't use it enough to consider it normal wear and tear. They only put a bearing on the left side of the handle support, and use a cheaper bushing on the right side, I guess under the assumption that most people reel with their left hand and so that's the only side they need to beef up. So if you reel right handed, check to see if they put bearings on both sides of the handle support on newer models.
Other than that it was (was) a great reel.

I'll have to check mine out. For whatever reason I spin cast with my right arm, and then transfer the rod to my left hand, and reel in with my right hand. Just feels comfortable to do that. If I fly fish the rod stays in my right hand the whole time, and my left plays with the line. now that I think about it that's weird.

gramps73
08-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I will be looking at the sale price on these things at the yearly FH sale
starting at the end of the month..
as said before great all around reel
g73

buckmasterjr
08-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I will be looking at the sale price on these things at the yearly FH sale
starting at the end of the month..
as said before great all around reel
g73

Thats when i was planning on getting one.

buckmasterjr
08-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I use the New Fenwick series both in 6' for jigging and 7' for lindy.
I have seen a 82.5 Walleye caught on one of these reels...and lots of 10 + fish

Which one? hmx, hmg, or the eagle gt.