PDA

View Full Version : Master Angler Awards

dmvcaly
08-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Hey everyone just wanted to get some other people's input as to why Alberta doesn't institute a Master angler program as in some of the other provinces.(Man., Sask., Ont.).I know in Manitoba's case that if you catch a fish larger than a certain amount for that species your able to receive a certificate acknowledging your catch. Also if you release the fish you get an extra patch to show that you released the fish, which helps promoting healthy fisheries by returning the larger fish back into the population not keeping them.
I think that its a good idea because it promotes an incentive if you catch and release big fish. I have no issue with keeping fish, but personally believe in slot sizes.(we can get into that another time).lol

What are some of the other forum members opinion on this question. :sHa_shakeshout:

S.A.S
08-08-2010, 12:15 AM
You forgot to mention that there name is printed in the regs that year under the master angler section.

I think it would be a great idea, They are legitimate certificates to, Nice to have on the wall to show off your fishing accomplishments! :sHa_shakeshout:

Rockymtnx
08-08-2010, 12:42 AM
What about the already existing AFGA awards????
They give out recognition to all the biggest fish caught every year. Including a few catch and release categories.

dmvcaly
08-08-2010, 12:58 AM
The AFGA awards only go to the biggest fish in each category. One keeper one C&R. The master angler awards don't go to the person with the largest fish caught for a year necessarily.
For Example anyone in alberta who caught a walleye larger than 30 inches would be eligible to receive a certificate stating this.(this total hypo example)
and then if released you would get a patch as well.
Don't have an issue with the AFGA celebrating the biggest fish caught etc., just wanted to clarify the earlier question.In the other cases they award for the best sized fish as well. Just something i was thinking about.

Walleyes
08-08-2010, 10:15 AM
That would be a great idea..

We could also add in an award for the Master Baiter of the year.. :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout:

Sorry just coudn't resist...

gramps73
08-08-2010, 10:25 AM
That would be a great idea..

We could also add in an award for the Master Baiter of the year.. :sHa_shakeshout: :sHa_shakeshout:

Sorry just coudn't resist...

Walleye what kind of degree would you need for that?

Walleyes
08-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Ummm I don't know,, a degree in Physical education maybe..

jeffrey929
08-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Would the "Master Baiter Award" be based on catch and release also?

PoorTurtle
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
If I remember right, BBJ got a master angler award from Manatoba last year. I think it was for a big catfish.

alodar
08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
It seems he did it twice

If I remember right, BBJ got a master angler award from Manatoba last year. I think it was for a big catfish.

Master Angler Awards
Total Number of Awards: 2

Red River - 2 awards
Channel Catfish - 2 awards
Master Angler Address Location Date
Caught Length
cm/inches *
John ALBERTA Red River 20 JUL 2008 93.98 / 37.00 R
John ALBERTA Red River 20 JUN 2008 93.98 / 37.00 R
* 'R' denotes the fish was released.
* 'I' denotes the fish was caught while ice fishing (in 2008 or later).
* 'F' denotes the fish was caught while fly fishing (in 2008 or later).

fishpro
08-09-2010, 08:20 PM

I think engineers often need to resort to this.

alodar
08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
looks like i should enter my goldeye 17.5 inches which is a whole 2 inches bigger than last years winner

Rockymtnx
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
The AFGA awards only go to the biggest fish in each category. One keeper one C&R. The master angler awards don't go to the person with the largest fish caught for a year necessarily.
For Example anyone in alberta who caught a walleye larger than 30 inches would be eligible to receive a certificate stating this.(this total hypo example)
and then if released you would get a patch as well.
Don't have an issue with the AFGA celebrating the biggest fish caught etc., just wanted to clarify the earlier question.In the other cases they award for the best sized fish as well. Just something i was thinking about.

Ohhhh I gotcha ya now. I misunderstood what you were getting at.
Who funds or organizes this in these other Provinces?

dmvcaly
08-11-2010, 05:49 AM
I believe it is funded by the fisheries of each individual province (not sure what the exact organisation is). Here in Alberta i believe it would fall under SRD's control.:confused: