PDA

View Full Version : Blackstone Strategy

NBX
08-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Hey guys

Bit of a noob here going to the Blackstone to camp this weekend. I'll be spincasting and I was just curious what kind of lures/setup you guys were using up there. I searched through the forum and couldn't seem to find anything. Any and all ideas will be much appreciated. I believe there's Rainbows, Bulls and Cuts in there.

SwampShark
08-09-2010, 09:22 AM
...more like bulls, cutts, brookies, whites.

They will all take spinners. I wouldn't waste your time fishing spots that "might" hold fish. The river has heavy fishing pressure for its size so the fish can be picky. Go find the real honey holes and you will pull a few out.

I was there on Aug long and watched the river rise 1.5 feet in about a half hour after a good rain!

duffy4
08-09-2010, 05:20 PM
On the Blackstone I always keep bear spray on my hip and an eye on my back.

Then I enjoy the fishing and the surroundings.

highwood
08-09-2010, 06:10 PM
The river does receive alot of pressure so go for hike and try to hit some more secluded sections. I hate to burst your bubble, but flyfishing the Blackstone is often alot more productive than spinner chucking. Ive been there on days where the trout fishing was phenomenal on the fly but dismal for the spinfisherman, hopefully you wont have that type of day. As another user said, concentrate on the larger pools and you should stir up a cutt or two. And duffy ain't kidding, keep an eye open for a grizz, especially later in August and September.

Have fun!!

Highwood

NBX
08-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!!!

goose
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Hi There, I have always had luck up there with 1/8 oz brown rooster tails with gold blades. If you go up farther into the hills the fishing is usually better.
regards
Goose

Doc
08-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Make sure you check the regs, the fish cops/streamwatch are there a lot and writing a ton of tickets. Cutties and bulltrout are strictly catch & release, make sure you know how to identify each.

Cheers,
Doc

Rockyman
08-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Good the hear the fish cops are active up at the Blackstone. There are far too many pools in that river that just never seem to hold fish. For some reason such pools are all easy to either walk or quad to...

No need to know how to identify fish in the Blackstone and its tributaries because they are all totally catch-and-release.