PDA

View Full Version : Kananaskis Info

Raptor
08-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Hey guys, looking to do some camping and fishing in Kananaskis for a week with the family. I haven't been there in years (25) I imagine a lot has changed, but thought it would be great to get back and see the area. Any info about particuliar campgrounds that you may have stayed at are better than others? Any campgrounds that are closer to creek fishing. I have 30 ft. trailer pull, so I can't be going four wheeling with it, got to be pretty easy access. Any info or knowledge about area would be much appreciated. Only thing that is needed would be showers and toilets unless they have services. Either way is okay.
Look forward to your info.

Albertadiver
08-08-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm staying at Boulton next week for 11 days, and have every year since I was a kid. They have full showers (loonie) and a camp store. Some sites have power and water. In Peter Lougheed, this is the only campground with partial hookups.

http://www.kananaskiscountrycampgrounds.com/peter.html

In order of preference, my favorite campgrounds in K-country are:

Boulton
Interlakes
Elkwood
Little Elbow

Best thing about the campsites in peter lougheed is that most are very private. There are some pull-through sites for bigger trailers, but most are back-in.

A number of the sites can be reserved online, but many are also first come first served. I've been going to Peter Lougheed since about 1985. Not much has changed thankfully! The roads are good, the access to the lakes are great, and the campgrounds are some of the best in terms of scenery and privacy. Bring your own firewood to save money if you can.

Raptor
08-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Do you have to reserve at boulton or do they have first come first serve sites? Any creeks around there to fish in?