PDA

View Full Version : Junior Forest Wardens?

albertadave
09-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Anyone here ever been involved or had your kids involved? We're looking at putting our kids (age 6 & 7) in this year but I know very little about the organization. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okotokian
09-27-2007, 03:17 PM
We had my oldest son in the organization for a while. They, at least at that time, recieved financial support from SRD I think. We were excited at first, but they really just didn't do very much. meetings every week but VERY few planned outings. Much less interesting than my memories of cubs and scouts. He eventually quit. Might have just been the local chapter. Who knows?

Boss442
09-27-2007, 04:07 PM
My son at the time was 16 or 17, spent the summer with the Junior Forest Rangers in Northern Alberta for about six weeks, he really enjoyed it. At the time he was in the Royal Canadian Army Cadets and had spent most summer's away from home at training camps. The Army cadets is a awsome youth program offering field craft, bush craft, map and compass and many other activities. I would encourage any youth to participate as it is an awsome expierience (I myself was in Cadets for many years) and its all free.

Jim
09-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I used to be one about 10 years ago they were fun back then we went clay target shooting, and camping. We learned how to make flies for fishing, how to start campfires, make shelters and other survival techniques, not sure if they still do all that though.

packhuntr
09-28-2007, 02:09 PM
I was a Junior forest warden in my youth, prob 20 years ago now. Excellent program, but living in the south, there just doesnt seem to be any of this going on anymore??? The wifes only afew days away from having the baby, and it would be awesome to see one start up in my neck of the woods in the near future. Probuably not gonna happen though....Makes a guy wonder what it takes to start one up??? I would imagine youd have to be a certified hunter ed instructor for sure, beyond that hard to say. Should be easy enough, might be something a guy may have to look at in the future, but then you have to commit to something big, and for sure would be problematic.....Like to see someone start one up around here for sure.

keep a strain on er.

Okotokian
09-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I was a Junior forest warden in my youth, prob 20 years ago now. Excellent program, but living in the south, there just doesnt seem to be any of this going on anymore??? The wifes only afew days away from having the baby, and it would be awesome to see one start up in my neck of the woods in the near future. Probuably not gonna happen though....Makes a guy wonder what it takes to start one up??? I would imagine youd have to be a certified hunter ed instructor for sure, beyond that hard to say. Should be easy enough, might be something a guy may have to look at in the future, but then you have to commit to something big, and for sure would be problematic.....Like to see someone start one up around here for sure.

keep a strain on er.

Doubt you have to be a hunting ed instructor to run a group. If memory serves, the Forrest warden group we were in had nothing to do with hunting.

albertadave
09-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys. I think we'll let them give it a try. I was surprised at how inexpensive it was so they might as well try it out and see how they like it. I'm not sure how much hunting content there is either but I know a couple of the things they have planned are building duck boxes and a weekend trip to the hunter ed camp at Alfred Lake at the end of Oct. If it's outdoors stuff like that it's good in my books.

Mintaka
09-30-2007, 09:56 AM

archdlx
09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
I was a J.F.W. back in Vancouver in the late sixties....great group.
Was also a member of 637 Areo Squadron, Air Cadets in Burnaby, in the
early '70's. Got to go to camp at Penhold with them and fly gliders in Chilliwack.
Good memories!

LeRoy

Toe823
10-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Had my kids in JFW for a few years and i give them 2 thumbs up. they had lots of metings, and a ton of outings every year...they totally supported outdoor activities and the hunting community. My nephew stuck with it for the last 8 years and now is a leader for the up and comers, so in my opinion, they are a great group...

Toe

qbochar
10-01-2007, 08:50 AM
This is a great program, content will depend on the parents/leaders who are involved with the group. Ours is supported by my fish and game club so the kids get a well rounded outdoors appreciation and education.

They do have a website www.albertajfw.ca for more info

This is a family oriented activity and not a babysitting service like the scouts/beavers.

The focus is not on earning badges because you can tie your shoes, you earn a badge over a three year period after you have learned some outdoor skills.

Q in Morinville