PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Destination--Suggestions--Advice?

Duckfever
08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey everyone. I don't usually make posts to forums, but enjoy reading and checking out what people have to say. Here is my situation. A buddy and myself are escaping from the wives and kids for 5 or 6 days next week, jumpin in the truck, hooking onto the boat, grabbing a couple of tents, and off to find some great new fishing destinations. Back to basics, no nonsense, hardcore fishing trip! Leaving from Sherwood Park. Willing to travel 12 hours or so. Not interested in Southern Alberta/Sask. Hoping to find some trophy walleyes, jack, and lakers if possible (not necessarily in that order).

Anyone have any good suggestions? He is happy just going to Calling/Pinehurst and Slave----again. Where we know the lakes and that we will catch good fish. I would prefer to explore somewhere new and crazy, and make an adventure out of the trip! Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hooker
08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Call Norm's Walley Camp (780-849-5204) and talk to Arlene. They have a great cabin in their campground if you want or lots of tenting sites. From there you have access to North Wabasca lake, Fawcett Lake, Lesser Slave Lake, Lesser Slave River (great to fish in if it is windy on the lake). The best place on Lesser Slave lake to fish for Walleye is straight out from the Canyon Creek boat launch called 'the ledge'. Here the water drops off from 20 feet to 50 feet in a matter of three boat lengths. The bigger Walleye are in the deep water but when you pull them up from that depth they will not survive if you release them back into the lake. Something to do with their air bladder. My brother & son-in-law fish these lakes every year with great success. You can try something new but I don't think you will equal the fishing you will find at these lakes. North Wabasca is still producing some very large Pike and Walleye. Anyway, have a great trip.

Duckfever
08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks Hooker. Not very interested in Slave area like I said. Lived in Slave and fished there for years, still go back and fish tournaments up there. Hoping to find somewhere new if possible. It is an awesome place to go if you want to just catch lots of fish, but we are looking for trophy fish. I need to catch an 'eye over 11 to regain my title lost last year when my partner went on a fly-in trip without me lol! Would also be a bonus to get into some lakers.

Hunter Trav
08-10-2010, 02:49 PM
If I was you I would look at heading either to Peerless lake area, or up around Winefred lake area. Lots of nice lakes to explore in both places, and chances of hooking up with all the species you mentioned.

Chris K
08-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Lakes in Alberta just don't compare to what you can experience if you are willing to drive to Nipawin, Saskatchewan. The fishing on Tobin Lake and the river portion below the dam are exceptional. The fishing at Nipawin has been pretty hot lately, and if I had to pick a drive to destination anywhere in Alberta or Sask, this would be it. It's a 7.5 hour drive from Edmonton, and well worth it. The river section is great for big walleye, and you can also catch some very big pike in there. The lake portion is better for pike than the river, but still has lots of big walleyes.

A friend of mine and his wife own the Twin Marine Store that is located in the Nipawin Regional Park on the river portion, and they are extremely helpful. Steve and Nicole will steer you in the right direction. They have boat rentals and bait, and can help you find accomidations. If you want to camp, you can camp right in the Regional Park.

www.tobinlake.net

Most of the walleye fishing is done while drifting in the river with rigs and a leech. You can catch fish there on spinners and jigs too. Eagle's Nest is a very popular spot for big fish, and is best about half way down the drift. You have a realistic shot at a fish over 10 pounds, and there are fish that are 16+ caught every year.

Winnifred is a great lake, but you don't have a realistic shot at many fish over 8 pounds for walleye, and at Pinehurst, you may have a shot at a 10 in the fall, but not right now. Graham and Peerless up past Red Earth are good, but they still fall very short of Nipawin.

In my opinion, if you want to have one of the best drive to trips you have ever experienced, go to Nipawin and see the incredible fishing for yourself. You will make it an annual trip after trying it out. If you want some more fishing info, send me a PM.

Chris K

Duckfever
08-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks Chris. Nipawin was on my mind as well, but we went there two years ago. Stayed at Scots Landing. Weren't lucky enough to hook into any real big hogs for walleye, though we did get some great pike. One of my favorite pike stories was from Tobin that trip. Would recommend it to anyone, but unfortunately been there and kind of want to explore somewhere new. If anyone does go there though be SURE to go to BJ's Meats and get some jerky. Some of the best anywhere!!!

Chris K
08-10-2010, 04:32 PM
If you have done Nipawin, then my next reccomendation is Last Mountain Lake. Fishing out of Rowan's Ravine Provincial Park, you can go to the North or the South. As a Saskatchewan destination, Last Mountain Lake woul dbe my number 2 pick to Nipawin, and it's about a 7 hour drive too. Fishing for big walleyes and pike is awesome. You can expect walleye to 13 pounds, and there are several over 14 caught there each year. Bouncers with spinners and crawlers are the ticket right now, or bigger deep diving crankbaits like Reef Runners. Big pike over 20 are very common as they have lots of forage and deep water. Whiterock to the north of Rowan's, Callingwood, and Arlington are some popular spots up to the north, and Wee Too, Glenn Harbour, Grandview, and Fox's are good to the south. You also can catch some massive carp if you want to try that out too. For up to date fishing info talk to Rob @ G & S Marina.

http://www.gsmarina.com/

Chris K

fitzy
08-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I would recommend Dore Lake, Its great for Aug Pike, I think they pull the majority of their 30lb Pike out in Aug and Sept. Really good Walleye there as well, I caught my biggest Walleye there 10.5lbs.
Another great lake is Winnifred, I haven't been there is years and hear good things about the fishing getting better again. Up around that part of the country is Grist good for lakers and Christina which has some great grayling fishing.

Duckfever
08-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Fishing partner has done Dore twice, loved every minute of it. Can't remember the name of the place he stayed right now, but nothing but good reports. So Dore is out too! Starting to think I am fighting an endless battle! lol Winnifred sounds decent, although I have heard a lot of mixed reviews. Will add it to the list of possibles, but still looking for that elusive "gem". Keep the suggestions coming, they are MUCH appreciated!!!!!

outdoors forever
08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Ever considered Snipe Lake, near Vallyview, AB?

ALMOST guantereed a 10 to 20 lb Pike there, pretty cool lake. Campgrounds on both ends.

outdoors forever
08-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Also, I've never been there, but I hears Gods Lake up Northeast of Red Eath is a fantastic walleye lake.

outdoors forever
08-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Typo - Red Earth

Hunter Trav
08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Also, I've never been there, but I hears Gods Lake up Northeast of Red Eath is a fantastic walleye lake.

Gods Lake was a trophy lake for many years, not sure if it still is. Vandersteen has some lunker wallys in it as well, if you can get into it...