PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on how to spin cast the bow and not pull in weeds?

Beekahs
08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Love fishing the bow!! I have fished this river for years and have had wonderful experiences. My son and I get out there at least a couple of times a week and it is unusual for us to come up empty. Unfortunately we stop fishing this river every year about this time as we get frustrated peeling the weeds off our hooks. We typically fish with CD Rapals but tried floating today with a little success (13 inch rainbow for my son). Hooked into a couple of brown hogs on a CD that got off but it is a struggle to keep the line in the water when all we seemed to do was pull weeds. Any suggestions on how to fish at this time of year or is this just something to deal with?

Christofficer
08-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Try what I do and use original floater raps. Obviously because they float, it might cut a portion of how much weeds you might hook. I don't really have the best advice for you as I'm pretty sure there's no solution to this. Catching weeds happens.

Bow flyman
08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
I have one. Fish the Bow where I do, up here in Bowness. Weeds just are not a problem. True, there are not as many larger trout, but I get enough good ones to keep me interested. Seriously, though, I do not believe that there is a solution to your problem. I have fished the river below and in South Calgary countless times, and every August and september it is the same ordeal. Cast after cast with clumps of weeds. Thats using a single hook streamer pattern. I can only imagine how bad a rapala or treble hook spinner would be. This time of year, weeds are something we have to live with if we want to fish the lower Bow.

Fisher_man#1
08-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I seek out the faster water around this time of year on the Bow. Look for the slightly faster water before a pool ect, make sure its not to shallow or very fast. Anothing thing to do is cast upstream more along the bank and then just reel in the slack and give it a bump every so often to give it action.
Hope this helps you and your son.
cheers.

slingshotz
08-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Or rig up the spin rod with a nymphing setup like you would with a fly rod. Float at top, trailing by a few nymphs and san juan worm with split shot. Cast it out past the weeds into clearer water and let it tick the bottom (you'll have to adjust the lenght of the line under the float).

EZM
08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
If you have not already - replace your trebles with singles with the same or similar gram wieght. Maybe a few less hook ups but far less weeds.

Other than fishing faster sections, different locations or depths, or using weedless lures, this is the only way I know how to help this issue.