PDA

View Full Version : Windfall Creek

pyke88
08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
I have put in a couple of evening chasing grayling in Windfall Creek. Have been fishing upstream of the small bridge crossing near the large gravel pit, and no luck at all. Not looking for honey holes, but does anyone have any advice on better parts of the stream / technique that they would be willing to share? PM if preferred.

Thanks in advance.

Rockymtnx
08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Which Windfall Creek are you asking about?

pyke88
08-11-2010, 10:40 AM
West of the Windfall Gas Plant between Whitecourt and Fox Creek.

Rockyman
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Windfall is a funny little creek. I have had some great fishing for grayling some trips and almost skunked on others. My only suggestion would be to do lots of walking until you find the fish since I think they tend to move around a lot (particularly the grayling). As well there are a lot of beavers in this area so you might come across a new pond which should offer some good fishing.

Any of the usual grayling flies will work once you find the fish. Same as for the rainbows. Corner pools with wood are gold for the rainbows.

As final note, the signs have been torn down for the most part but Windfall Creek is totally catch-and-release.

Watch for bears if you are fishing by yourself. It can be quite brushy in this area and lots of bears around.

fishman
08-12-2010, 09:56 PM
The part of the creek i fish i find the fish head back to the athbasca river by the first week of august