PDA

View Full Version : Buzzbombs??

Albertadiver
08-11-2010, 11:43 PM
So, I bought a couple buzzbombs a year or so ago.

Read the instructions, did a little research (admittly not much which is why I'm posting a thread) and I'm kinda stumped.

What makes these suckers effective? Any techniques you guys like to use?

I'm a recreational fisherman and get out a few times a year. Actually, been out more this year than in a long while, still not very succesfull.

I usually spincast for trout using meps and spoons. Not very familiar with other lures aside from rapalas for pike.

So, thoughts??

Bow flyman
08-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Buzz bombs are an incredible lure. My largest Brown trout, Rainbow trout and lake trout were caught using these lures. they have not been as effective for me in recent years, but I used to catch lots of trout on them, and big ones! I use them in lakes. Cast out, let it sink to the bottom in abouy 30 or so feet of water (It will not take long to get down, as they are very heevy lures made of lead), then jig it up through the water column every 5 turns of the reel handle or so. I guarantee that if you are fishing in a trout lake, this lure will catch the best sized fish in there. It takes a lot of patience, but you will be rewarded with some really good fish.

crawfy
08-12-2010, 12:45 AM
When i lived in Calgary we use to fish them in the bow river late in the fall and catch big brown trout, throw them out and reel them in. In the lakes cast them out and reel and jig them in so they act like a wounded bait fish flutering around in the water.

528guy
08-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Out on the coast where I grew up, whenever we got skunked trolling for salmon we would throw on a couple of 4" buzz bombs and hit a point off an island and jig for cod. They never failed to provide dinner.

duffy4
08-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Read the instructions on the package.

It is a different kind of jigging action.

Raise the rod tip SLOWLY. Then drop the tip fast to give the lure a short FREE FALL.

Repeat and then real it up a bit.

I have caught a lot of salmon and other fish in the salt chuck with them. And I've caught pike, perch and walleye as well.

iliketrout
08-12-2010, 07:40 AM
I tie mine up on a 2-3' piece of line with a swivel or loop similar to a lindy rig or walleye spinner rig. Makes for quick changes and less time effing around when your line should be in the water.

nicemustang
08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
They are most effective jigging, not cast and retrieve. Although many people will say trolled behind the boat is very effective as well, especially for pike.

Gillfisher
08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Buzz Bombs are one of my favorite lures when fishing for trout, either on the river or casting in a lake. My biggest trout have all been caught on buzz bombs. Once you get the hang of them they can be deadly cast it out let it sink then begin retreiving and start jerking your rod backwards then reel in the slack line. They work really well in slow moving & deep water. I have about 20 buzzbombs in my trout tackle box. I caught a 12 lb lake trout in Northern Sask on a buzzbomb last year and the 4 people I was fishing with could not believe how well the buzz bomb was working for me

Gillfisher

Pudelpointer
08-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Feel free to disagree, but I fished with buzzbombs on the west coast for decades, catching trout, salmon, cod, octopus, dogfish, flounder... you name it, a BB catches them all.

HOWEVER, in this day of size limits and catch and release, I believe that one should think carefully about using this lure. I have killed (unintentionally) more fish using the BB then all other lures combined. The problem with it is that the fish inevitably hit the lure on the free fall, and then you end up snagging them - usually close to their gills - when you jig up or in. Of the literally hundreds (if I had to guess >500) fish I have caught with a BB, almost all of them were hooked on the OUTSIDE of their mouth or under their mouth, with a very high percentage showing heavy bleeding from their gills. Back in the day when you could keep every little fish, even salmon over 12" long, this was an effective lure for putting fish on your table.

In truth, the buzz bomb is a snagging device (if you doubt this try to hook a fish while using a single hook) and as such I do not see it as an ethical choice in this day and age.

[Flame suit on!]

nicemustang
08-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Pudeljumper.....i disagree with you totally. I exclusively use the buzz bomb tipped with smelt in spray all winter long, never have snagged a laker, they always go after the smelt.

Cal
08-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I always rig mine on a length of wire leader material, just longer than the buzz bomb, use them for jigging for walleye in strong currents,rigged this way they dont kill any more fish than a regular spoon.

Pudelpointer
08-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Pudeljumper.....i disagree with you totally. I exclusively use the buzz bomb tipped with smelt in spray all winter long, never have snagged a laker, they always go after the smelt.

Putting bait on it changes things completely. But I stick by my statement.

Christofficer
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
I've never had to use bait on one, they work great without it. And I've never snagged a fish on one either. Everytime I've gotten a hit was when it was moving, not fluttering. But we all have different experiences, and it is something to think about.

Anyways, all you gotta do is cast it, twitch, let it free fall for a second, repeat. It seems to work alot better in slower water, and snag alot less too.

I'll give you a tip. If you got any leech pattern flies, tie one on the end instead of the treble. I saw it on a tv show if I remember right. I tied on an egg suck leech one day with one, casted it out, before I even closed the bail on my reel a big brown hit it, jumped 3 feet out the water, and took off so far and fast I couldn't chase him fast enough and peeled off nearly all the line on my reel before he broke my 10lb test. So give that a shot. :scared0018:

Bamm Bamm
08-12-2010, 04:23 PM
These work great in the winter for Jigging on Cold Lake for Lakers.

Fishfinder
08-12-2010, 07:30 PM
I've wondered about using BBs in fresh water too but yet to try. I Have however jigged with them (baitless) in the ocean and they DO pretty much catch anything and everything. I do recall snagging one dogfish on the fin but the rest of the catches on the BBs were hooked properly. Anyways, they worked Grrrrrreat:)
Cheers!

6mmhunter
08-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Buzz bombs are a fantastic lure. I've used them for 20 years for lakers in Flathead. I caught a 24 lb laker last week when I was down there on a blue/white buzzbomb. Jigging in 73 ft of water.

WayneChristie
08-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I used small ones for trout, usually in fluorescent red or orange, just cast and retrieve like a spoon and they worked great, no snagged fish either.

mooseslayer
08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
We have used these hooks for years when we fish for lake trout. We have fished all over northern saskatchewan and on some lakes in the nwt. They are by far my favorite way to fish. Especially when you are jigging at 100 ft or so. It makes a 10lb laker feel like your pulling up a deep freeze out of the depths.

Not much else I can tell other than enjoy!!

Fishingnutter
08-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Feel free to disagree, but I fished with buzzbombs on the west coast for decades, catching trout, salmon, cod, octopus, dogfish, flounder... you name it, a BB catches them all.

HOWEVER, in this day of size limits and catch and release, I believe that one should think carefully about using this lure. I have killed (unintentionally) more fish using the BB then all other lures combined. The problem with it is that the fish inevitably hit the lure on the free fall, and then you end up snagging them - usually close to their gills - when you jig up or in. Of the literally hundreds (if I had to guess >500) fish I have caught with a BB, almost all of them were hooked on the OUTSIDE of their mouth or under their mouth, with a very high percentage showing heavy bleeding from their gills. Back in the day when you could keep every little fish, even salmon over 12" long, this was an effective lure for putting fish on your table.

In truth, the buzz bomb is a snagging device (if you doubt this try to hook a fish while using a single hook) and as such I do not see it as an ethical choice in this day and age.

[Flame suit on!]

X2

I gave about 20 away last year as foul hooking is more common, though strangely not with Lakers (I think they hit on the uptake not the fall). I tried the single hook too but it doesn't create the right buzz.

Pudelpointer
08-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Ha! Fishingnutter, maybe it is just a Sunshine Coast thing 'cause that is where I am from.

We probably know each other. How long on the Coast?

mudbug
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
They are most effective jigging, not cast and retrieve. Although many people will say trolled behind the boat is very effective as well, especially for pike.

I used to use this method with them at Regina Beach as a kid with some really good results for pike by trolling. You just have to troll in deeper water or they snag on the bottom easily. Jigging with them works really well too :sHa_shakeshout:

On another note though I haven't used one since I used to fish there 30 years ago

Rob_P
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I was recommended one of them today from Roy i do believe at wholesale sports he said he uses them for casting and does pretty well but ill find out for myself tomorrow morning.

Unregistered user
08-13-2010, 08:57 AM
From the hosses mouth.
http://www.buzzbombzzinger.com/buzzbomb_tips.html I like these lures but I have also snagged a few salmon when they're "Biting at the back". Also have killed a lot of "Shaker" coho on hoochies with big single hooks, poop happens I guess.