PDA

View Full Version : Duck lake bass

MB1
08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey guys headin to Duck lake on the 20th, can any one give me some good locations or methods to use. Where else in that area is good for bass and what to use? Are there any campgrounds right on Duck lake?

buddybuckhunter
08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
fished duck afew years ago, used black 1/4 ounce mister twisters. casting and retrieving fairly quickly as the lake is shallow and weedy.caught at least 10 bass over 3lbs. you nees a small boat or canoe,no motors allowed.as far as i know there is no camping at the lake, but close by in or around creston,or near kootenay lake you can camp.talk to the guys at the sporting goods store in downtown creston, they will tell you the latest fishing conditions, and have the licenses required. i am going to creston tommorow for a few days and could find out more for you. good luck

DuckBrat
08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
bring spinner baits, castaics, and worms like the man said.

slingshotz
08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
If you are bait fishing then bring lots of worms. They can't resist a whole worm but unfortunately they will not like half worms so you have to find a way to keep they from tearing the worm in half.

For fly fishing, a big black or red wooly bugger works well.

Spin casting I don't have great success but I usually manage a few with little flatfish plugs.

fishpro
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
4"-6" rubber worm on a large bass hook - don't use a jig as they're too heavy and get into the weeds too much. Topwater lures are great as well, especially in the evening.

I've never fished it in a boat, but have always done well from shore right at Sirdar.

trophybook
08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
bass bite is slow water is to warm but try for perch there massive down there

thumper
08-12-2010, 11:56 PM
This time of year, the weeds are thick and you'll probably need to cross some places where they're in a mat on the surface - so bring some 'weedless' presentations, and bring a boat with a totally smooth bottom or you'll be dragging a lot of weeds. A canoe or kayak is great.
Bring your camera too - the birdlife there is fantastic.
If you're bringing kids - be sure to take them to to the Creston Wildlife Centre (Duck Lake is part of their lands). It a very kid-friendly, hands-on interpretive centre. Lots of garter snakes and banana slugs on their interpretive trails - which kids love.

Unregistered user
08-13-2010, 08:47 AM
About 5 years ago we camped right beside the lake, never got rousted by the F&W, did wake up a few times to people carrying things and flashlights into the bush in the wee dark hours.

buddybuckhunter
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Hey guys headin to Duck lake on the 20th, can any one give me some good locations or methods to use. Where else in that area is good for bass and what to use? Are there any campgrounds right on Duck lake?
was at creston on the weekend , weather is awesome as usual. there are bass on the very southern end of kooteny lake , you will need a boat, also in west creston you can try the creek that flows into kooteny river and forms a canal that runs south along the river for a ways. i've caght some bass and perch there right from shore or a liesurely canoe trip down there is good too, watch for turtles and lots of birds.

Tungsten
08-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Was there 2 weeks ago and it was a ghost town. I had a small boat in tow and was expecting more than a giant slough with minimum access. Access is tricky.

-if you'll have a boat then you'll need to access the lake from the valley. Access is from the town of Wyndell; basically you drive down into the valley. There are small faded signs (which I missed) leading the path but you need to get yourself onto "channel road". Be prepared to follow this single lane road around the west side of the lake where it'll run parallel with the dike; it's a long drive. Despite what google shows this will NOT join up with the main highway. You can launch your boat from the south shore or if you're trailered from the pump house at the north end (as far as the road leads). Don't expect much: ie: no park/outhouse/etc.

-if you're fishing from shore then drive further north on the highway to Sidar. Across from the general store you can cross the tracks where you'll park and hike by foot down to the lake. Never tried here.

I used the north access. Weeds are matted to the surface for as far as the eye can see. I rowed for the center of the lake and didn't find water much over 6 feet. Eventually the weeds broke up a bit and I was able to find pockets with fish. As others mentioned light jigs were the most productive but I did have luck with shallow running cranks where I could use them. In retrospect I would have launched from the south shore - the Mosquitos killed us at the north end and I had to do an obscene amount of rowing.

It was a fun experience. I managed 10 in the 2-3 lb range. However, If I ever return it wouldn't be unless it was May. Good luck and bring the bug spray.