PDA

View Full Version : ok, so whats so "Albertan" about this?

AK47
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
So I was on vacation in Saskatchewan at Meadows lake provincial park. One day I took all my family to little Otter lake for some fun pike fishing for kids. After arriving at lake I found that there was big truck left blocking access to the lake even if there was plenty of room to park around. Never mind this as I can launch my Porta-bote almost anywhere so I start setting things up and then I hear barking and whining from inside the truck. Peaked through the window inside and there is dog left in the kennel in the middle of the day +25C, not a small space of single window open. As a small animal vet I know how dangerous that can be so I start looking for owner ( no cell phone reception so I can't call anybody). Sure enough on the other end of the lake I see a canoe. So after I get my boat and kids ready we get on the lake, approach middle age couple fishing from canoe and ask if it is their truck. They answer yes, and I remind them about dog being left in the car with windows closed. The man answers, oh " it is ok it is only for about 30 min or so" ... well, I remind him again that 90 min in the car in this temperature and his dog will be most likely dead. He gets a bit annoyed by that and repeats that it is only about 30 min or so. So I move away from him and we start fishing with kids.... Dude doesn't even bother rushing to his car and still keeps fishing for about 15-20 more minutes and then I see him getting of the lake :sign0176:. Since I saw the dog in the car at least 40 min passed and who knows how long that owner was already on the lake before we arrived.
Anyway, after finishing my fishing I came back to my car and found a written note on my car from him which said this: " we were joking that you must be from Alberta and indeed you are! Have a nice stay in Saskatchewan!":confused:
So my question is what is so Albertan about me reminding him that he put his pet in danger?
I of course had his vehicle license # and reported him to local SPCA, so I hope he can still joke after he gets charged for animal abuse. I spoke about that with CO other day and she said that if she would have found that truck she would have smashed the window without hesitation...

Coulee
08-13-2010, 11:39 AM
As an Albertan, you have a job and a reputation to maintain. Thus, personal behaviour (such as killing your dog in public) may have unintended consequences which you would rather avoid. Others may find that philosophy puzzling. All you can do is carry on with your head held high.

Tofinofish
08-13-2010, 11:46 AM
AK,

Your attitude and concern would certainly be welcome on the west side of the Alberta border.....
What an idiot for doing that in the first place, to only further endorse his limited brain matter by leaving you said note...

If I screwed up like that and left one of my dogs in the truck, I'd be giving you a huge thanks and a cold six pack instead of a rude note.

J.

Okotokian
08-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I think it's about you repeating yourself. I suspect that the implication is that folks from Alberta might be wound a little more tightly than folks from Saskatchewan... faster pace, more tension, more go-go-go, uptight... that sort of thing.

The note wasn't particularly rude. He welcomed you to Sask... Doubt any animal cruelty charge will stick. All you can say is that a dog was in an unvented car for 40 minutes. Stupid, yeah. Prove-ably cruel, probably not. What was the interior temperature? "No idea". What was the condition of the dog? "I dunno..." Case closed.

Tofinofish
08-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I think it's about you repeating yourself. I suspect that the implication is that folks from Alberta might be wound a little more tightly than folks from Saskatchewan... faster pace, more tension, more go-go-go, uptight... that sort of thing.

The note wasn't particularly rude. He welcomed you to Sask... Doubt any animal cruelty charge will stick. All you can say is that a dog was in an unvented car for 40 minutes. Stupid, yeah. Prove-ably cruel, probably not. What was the interior temperature? "No idea". What was the condition of the dog? "I dunno..." Case closed.

Right...maybe the note wasn't necessarily rude.

Braun
08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
i can see why it might not be rude but think about it. when would you write a note? pretty much only to prove a point. it takes effort to look at a licence plate and the decide to get a peice of paper and pen from your truck and walk all the way back over to leave a note. if he said it in person, i would say not rude. to write a note, intension would need to be a bit more prevelant to get the last word or make a statement

nevercatchmuch
08-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I like that you showed concern and applaud you for it.

nicemustang
08-13-2010, 12:59 PM

X2. Good post.

Being from Sask you can often smell Albertans from a mile away. Just different way of life and actions. SK'ers might have said something once, if not no big deal. Did you offer them a beer? LOL.

Guitarplayingfish
08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm glad you tried to do something about it. People like that shouldn't have pets in the first place. I don't think being Albertan has anything to do with it, every person in the universe knows the difference between right and wrong. The note was excessive, and obviously provoking. You did the right thing, just as anyone should have done. Good job reporting him, Hopefully that dog gets a proper home.

Anomaly
08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
im a little confused....
saying something about animal cruelty once is acceptable.
but if you say it twice, theres something wrong with you, your wound to tight, you need to relax, you must be an albertan?

*scratches head*

floppychicken
08-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Some Folks are just Stupid....

Because they've done it before they feel that it's OK and that they 'know better' than the experts do. Also, it really doesn't matter where they're from as Stupid People are everywhere. The thing about STUPID people is that they are 'BLISSFULLY' unaware of how 'Stupid' they really are and that apparently is an excuse of some sort and the reason they leave notes on your windshield.... :rolleye2:

AK47
08-13-2010, 03:10 PM
X2. Good post.

Being from Sask you can often smell Albertans from a mile away. Just different way of life and actions. SK'ers might have said something once, if not no big deal. Did you offer them a beer? LOL.

funny that I am living in Alberta only for 6 years...."albertan" must be pretty contagious.

Cal
08-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Maby its because your wife did not appear to be of any blood relation?

AK47
08-13-2010, 03:40 PM

ok, I repeated myself because he completely ignored my first remark. If he would have said, "oh dang, I forgot to put windows down, thanks, I will run right away and get it open" - no problems, would mean person acknowledges what he did wrong and is willing to correct it.
To answer your questions, dog was in a car for AT LEAST 40 min.... obviously it was longer as it took him some time to put his canoe to water and get to the other side of the lake, even if it was small lake it still would be another 10 min. To assume that we arrived just after he left.... hm... quite unlikely, don't you think so?
About temperature inside the car and dogs condition.... as a vet I treated dogs who have been left in a car like that, and have seen some die after just 1-1.5 hr in this temperature. If CO said she would have smashed the window not worrying about dogs condition or temperature inside, she must have pretty solid reason don't you think so?

Nice video on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TGVs1E1Yvw

nicemustang
08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Maybe he had the dog with him and just put him in the vehicle before you got there?

Okotokian
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
ok, I repeated myself because he completely ignored my first remark.

That's not accurate. He didn't ignore you. He answered you politely. He just didn't agree with you and do what you thought he should do. You then repeated your point. At that point some guys might have said "Mind your own business". He didn't.

To answer your questions, dog was in a car for AT LEAST 40 min.... obviously it was longer as it took him some time to put his canoe to water and get to the other side of the lake, even if it was small lake it still would be another 10 min. To assume that we arrived just after he left.... hm... quite unlikely, don't you think so?
About temperature inside the car and dogs condition.... as a vet I treated dogs who have been left in a car like that, and have seen some die after just 1-1.5 hr in this temperature.

My point was merely that the local authorities were left with no hard evidence that the dog was actually suffering. It's your word only about the length of time the dog was in the car against his, and no evidene as to the condition of the animal. It doesn't matter about your experience with other animals. You didn't examine this one. No conviction will come out of that. Hey, I applaud your intent. The report might just have been a little over-reaction and I can't see how it could result in any conviction.

If CO said she would have smashed the window not worrying about dogs condition or temperature inside, she must have pretty solid reason don't you think so?

My immediate reaction to that is that the CO is an idiot. So she is actually saying that if she walks up to a parked vehicle with a dog inside and no open windows her first immediate action will be to smash the window "without hesitation"? And then the owner walks up and says "I was just in the bathroom. I'd been gone 4 minutes". Would be interesting to see if a CO was actually legally empowered to perform such an act. Perhaps, but I'd hope some hesitation would be evidenced.

Look, I'm not advocating leaving a dog like that. I am a dog owner and always crack a window unless snow is going to blow in. I just don't think his note was a great affront. You tried to do good. He didn't agree with your assumptions. The dog is fine.

walleyechaser
08-13-2010, 04:10 PM
well then why would he not crack the window, dont care how easy going people from saskatchewan are thats plain looking for trouble. rightly breaking the window is viable option. never a reason to leave a pet in a hot car with no window open.

FishingMOM
08-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I of course had his vehicle license # and reported him to local SPCA, so I hope he can still joke after he gets charged for animal abuse. I spoke about that with CO other day and she said that if she would have found that truck she would have smashed the window without hesitation...

I AM 110% with the CO. SMASH THE WINDOW!

Pets in Hot Cars

You've probably heard news reports of dogs suffocating inside cars on warm days. Here are suggestions for educating people about leaving pets in cars, and what to do if you see a pet in distress.

The dangers:

It takes only minutes for a pet left in a vehicle on a warm day to succumb to heatstroke and suffocation. Most people don't realize how hot it can get in a parked car on a balmy day. However, on a 78 degree day, temperatures in a car parked in the shade can exceed 90 degrees -- and hit a scorching 160 degrees if parked in the sun!

Even when the outside air temperature is in the 60s, temperatures inside some vehicles can reach the danger zone on bright, sunny days. So many experts recommend not to leave pets or children in parked cars even for short periods if the temperature is in the 60s or higher.

Rolling down a window or parking in the shade doesn't guarantee protection either, since temperatures can still climb into the danger zone. And if the window is rolled down sufficiently, the pet can escape. Plus if a passer-by claims he or she was bitten through the car window, the pet owner will be liable.

What about leaving the dog in the car with the air-conditioning running? Many people do this, but tragedy can strike -- and it has. For example, in 2003, a police dog in Texas died after the air-conditioning in the patrol car shut down and began blowing hot air. The air system's compressor kicked off because the engine got too hot. Many cars, including modern models with computerized functions, are prone to the same problem. In August 2004, a North Carolina couple lost two of their beloved dogs, and nearly lost their third dogs, as result of a similar failure. They had left bowls of water and ice in the car, and the air-conditioning on, during their shopping trip of less than 30 minutes.

Animals are not able to sweat like humans do. Dogs cool themselves by panting and by sweating through their paws. If they have only overheated air to breathe, animals can collapse, suffer brain damage and possibly die of heatstroke. Just 15 minutes can be enough for an animal's body temperature to climb from a normal 102.5 to deadly levels that will damage the nervous and cardiovascular systems, often leaving the animal comatose, dehydrated and at risk of permanent impairment or death.

Precautions:

* Leave your dog at home on warm days.

* On trips with your pet, bring plenty of fresh drinking water and bowl.

* Don't let dogs ride loose in pick-up truck beds. The hot metal can burn a dog's paws, the sun and flying debris can hurt the dog, the dog can accidentally be thrown out of the truck if the brakes are suddenly applied, and the dog can jump out if scared or upon seeing something interesting to chase. Instead, use a crate to create a safer space for the dog if you can't fit the dog inside the truck cab.

* Take the dog into the shade, an air conditioned area, or to the vet if you see signs of heat exhaustion, which include restlessness, excessive thirst, heavy panting, lethargy, dark tongue, rapid pulse, fever, vomiting, glazed eyes, dizziness, or lack of coordination. To lower body temperature gradually, give the animal water to drink, place a cold towel or ice pack on the head, neck and chest, and/or immerse the dog in cool (not cold) water. Call your veterinarian.
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_HotCars.php

marlin1
08-13-2010, 04:25 PM
good on you for saying something , no excuse . Who goes fishing for 30 minutes? come on now

DarkAisling
08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't get it. I have absolutely no hypothesis as to why this guy pegged you for an Albertan. A decent human being? Yes. An Albertan? Are Albertans the only decent human beings?

DANOMAN
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
MY OPINION IS:

smash the window and take the dog out for some air then wait for the guy to come back and smash him too !! lmao:snapoutofit::snapoutofit::argue2::budo:

Fishfinder
08-13-2010, 05:24 PM
good on you for saying something , no excuse . Who goes fishing for 30 minutes? come on now

x2:)
And why even bring the dog and seal it in the vehicle with no air and then go paddle out and fish the other side of the lake???
I like what u did AK47. Wouldn't let the lil note bug ya:)
Cheers!

Renslip
08-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Don't forget most people from Sask. cannot count to 13. When he said he was only going to be 30 minutes is a questionable amount of time? Did he happen to take off his shoes before he answered you? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Sundancefisher
08-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Anyway, after finishing my fishing I came back to my car and found a written note on my car from him which said this: " we were joking that you must be from Alberta and indeed you are! Have a nice stay in Saskatchewan!".

Maybe you were catching more fish than him. I understand people from Alberta are better fishermen. When he noticed you skill he thought he would compliment you after saving his dog.

Christofficer
08-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Because albertans are nosey, that's what I would assume they meant. IMO, I wouldn't have done anything. I would have got his plate and called it in asap. Confronting ppl about retarded **** seems to be an albertan's way of life. Granted this is a life and death situation for a helpless animal, I would have probably also said something to him, admittedly.......maybe......

Honestly, there was no point in what you did though. Sad to say, but a careless dog owner is still a careless dog owner no matter what you tell him. Quite possibly a enraged careless dog owner after you mention his faults to his face. Which is not a good choice in the middle of nowhere when you're with your kids. Just sayin.....

whitetail Junkie
08-13-2010, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=AK47;652529]
So my question is what is so Albertan about meQUOTE]

He must have noticed your exellent driving skills when you pulled up to the lake.:sHa_shakeshout:

Them guys cant Drive:)

Beekahs
08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Nobody likes to be told they have done something wrong. It sounds like what you said struck a nerve and they stewed about it for a while. Their pride probably got in the way and stayed out to show they were not going to back down but not too long as they were worried about the dog. When they got back your discussion was still eating at them so they left you a note which could be interpreted as a joke but slightly derogatory at the same time (Didn't want to come across as jerks). My guess is that the next time they will think better than to leave the dog in the back as they would be running the risk of looking stupid twice and proving it is true. Good on you man for speaking up!

RedHeadedFisherman
08-13-2010, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=assumptions. The dog is fine.[/QUOTE]

did anyone bother to ask the dog( j/king) but IF the dog could talk, bet he would say my owner is a saky jerk!!

and i was born in Moose Jaw.. real glad my dad moved OUT WEST lol

Anomaly
08-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Because albertans are nosey, that's what I would assume they meant. IMO, I wouldn't have done anything. I would have got his plate and called it in asap. Confronting ppl about retarded **** seems to be an albertan's way of life. Granted this is a life and death situation for a helpless animal, I would have probably also said something to him, admittedly.......maybe......

Honestly, there was no point in what you did though. Sad to say, but a careless dog owner is still a careless dog owner no matter what you tell him. Quite possibly a enraged careless dog owner after you mention his faults to his face. Which is not a good choice in the middle of nowhere when you're with your kids. Just sayin.....

If this is the kind of thing that albertans are nosey about....then im glad i live here.
Id be downright embarrassed and ashamed if people from my province were happy to do nothing about important issues that they come across in their daily lives.

Tiny
08-13-2010, 11:27 PM
An Albertan? Are Albertans the only decent human beings?

YES...WHY YES WE ARE:love0025:

alodar
08-13-2010, 11:46 PM
I would have smashed the window too ........

deanmc
08-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Imagine if you had smashed the window and that dog came out of it and attacked you. That would suck. Just trying to help the dog and you get bit and charged with break and enter. lmao:sign0161:

Darren N
08-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Maybe he didn't hear you the first time from the noise of him paying his banjo as you floated on by.

WayneChristie
08-14-2010, 08:55 AM
How did he know you were an Albertan? They can tell by the full set of teeth and your shoes on the correct feet . :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mickey
08-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Either you are a troll and are just saying this to get a rise outta people, which admittedly, I bit on. Or you are serious and have no idea WTF is right vs wrong. If I was out on the lake and had forgotten to crack a window for my dog, out of pure absentmindedness and excitement to get fishing, then I would be thrilled that someone made the time to come and find me in order to tell me. But that is just me, 99% of the people that are dog owners and by the sounds of it, almost everyone that has read this thread.

deanmc
08-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Either you are a troll and are just saying this to get a rise outta people, which admittedly, I bit on. Or you are serious and have no idea WTF is right vs wrong. If I was out on the lake and had forgotten to crack a window for my dog, out of pure absentmindedness and excitement to get fishing, then I would be thrilled that someone made the time to come and find me in order to tell me. But that is just me, 99% of the people that are dog owners and by the sounds of it, almost everyone that has read this thread.

Absolutely agree.I would add that I would feel so foolish for forgetting my dog I would not have had the nerve to leave a note.

walleyechaser
08-14-2010, 01:47 PM
good on you linton, people who treat mans best friend wrong deserve to get the sense knocked into them. all to often one hears of people putting cats in microwaves ect, its a little ridiculous and a smack upside the head should be justifiable under any animal mistreatment action.

Red Fisher
08-14-2010, 03:18 PM
asked if that was their truck, and if it was their dog in there? After the reaction you got, I would have said his dog was convulsing in there.

Not all dogs are good in a boat, but if he had a kennel, why not throw the kennel in the boat/canoe for a trip on the lake.

No doubt in my mind he was being a smart ass. If he was trying to be kind, he could have left a note thanking you for your concern. That simply put it would have sent you a positive message. I'd have had a hard time knowing the dog was in there for 40 + min in sun on a 25+ day not breaking the window. He could sue me from that point. Also a good point that you had your kids with you and who knows how much this thing escalates if you do something drastic.

You are the type of person I would want for a neighbour. The whole epsiode kinda stinks.

Al things considered you handled it about as well as you could have.

Corro
08-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I can relate to both sides, although leaving your dog in the vehicle while you go fishing seems pretty unkind to me, and leaving him crated with the windows up? Thats negative karma points.

While in BC I left my black lab in the car while I went to buy a loaf of bread. Hatchback Acura, he's free to roam the interior and the windows on both sides are down for him to easily stick his head in and out, but the sun is beating down nonetheless. So I'm directly in and out, and as I come though the doors I see this woman on a mission bustle over to the car and pop the interior lock. Well I'm parked right across from the Thriftys entrance so I'm there in 20 seconds and push the door closed with her arm through the window which scares the crap out of her but when she turns to me she starts in on keeping the dog in a locked car. Needless to say we had an intense discussion, her jumping up and down on me for animal cruelty and me pointing to my loaf of bread before finally getting ****ed that she should let my dog out in a parking lot. I don't think my Alberta plates helped one bit :)

Christofficer
08-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Either you are a troll and are just saying this to get a rise outta people, which admittedly, I bit on. Or you are serious and have no idea WTF is right vs wrong. If I was out on the lake and had forgotten to crack a window for my dog, out of pure absentmindedness and excitement to get fishing, then I would be thrilled that someone made the time to come and find me in order to tell me. But that is just me, 99% of the people that are dog owners and by the sounds of it, almost everyone that has read this thread.You don't get my post at all, actually. A good dog owner wouldn't forget about his dog in the truck regardless of how excited he was. And the fact that (according to the OP), the guy didn't leave till sometime around 40 minutes after he was told about the dog, I would say that proves my point even more. I was telling the OP why he got a note left on his windshield, and not bother with stupid people who leave their dogs in the car. Just call em in next time instead of playing games. If the reason you're angry with my post is because I told him to just call it in and leave the stupid dog owners to their own faults, I'm just going to assume you fall into this category.

Need More Fish'n time
08-16-2010, 11:15 AM
The note was completely dismissive of the good Albertan’s concern. There was no gracious “thanks for the heads-up… thanks for your concern”. Nothing. Instead, the subtext is a big “F$%* You”! I would have smashed the window 99% for the poor dog & 1% for spite.

wannafish
08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Just because one guy in saskatchewan is an idiot doesnt mean they all are. Funny how fast this thread filled up with "YA BREAK HIS WINDOWS AND HIS FACE" and "ALBERTANS ARE THE ONLY DECENT PEOPLE LOL". :fighting0074:

wildman
08-16-2010, 12:04 PM
dude.
there are tonnes of a-holes.
worst thing you can do is involve yourself with them or listen to anything they have to say.
you did the right thing.
forget them.
karma comes.

ESOXangler
08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Albertans are true canadians. Think about it, this province is just one big melting pot. Take a look around when you are working the next time and you'l realize that theres probably someone from every province there. Its the province where almost everyone has to interact together.

Just cause some ass wrote that doesnt mean he doesnt envy your constituton.

SushiUnagi
08-16-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm glad you tried to do something about it. People like that shouldn't have pets in the first place. I don't think being Albertan has anything to do with it, every person in the universe knows the difference between right and wrong. The note was excessive, and obviously provoking. You did the right thing, just as anyone should have done. Good job reporting him, Hopefully that dog gets a proper home.

x2! :character0053:

johann_seb
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Heh. Guys, there are two types of fools. The first takes offence when it isn't meant.

The second takes offence when it is meant.

Mickey
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
You don't get my post at all, actually. A good dog owner wouldn't forget about his dog in the truck regardless of how excited he was. And the fact that (according to the OP), the guy didn't leave till sometime around 40 minutes after he was told about the dog, I would say that proves my point even more. I was telling the OP why he got a note left on his windshield, and not bother with stupid people who leave their dogs in the car. Just call em in next time instead of playing games. If the reason you're angry with my post is because I told him to just call it in and leave the stupid dog owners to their own faults, I'm just going to assume you fall into this category.

So by your logic, we are to assume that all pet owners who leave their animals in the car are stupid and that rather than try to save the dog,by finding the owner, dont waste our time and just call them in and hope that the dog is ok.

Your assumption was flat out wrong BTW.

Christofficer
08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow, you're still not getting it. I'll try to spell it out for you.

It did NOT matter what he said to that dog owner, the fact is, dog ended up being left in that hot truck after OP told him about the dog. So it didn't matter. As I said before, I would have told him about it too......call me a cynic if you will, but I'd rather have the ass charged for brutalizing his dog than deal with his ignorance. It's safe to assume when you see a dog in a hot car on a hot day, the dog yelping and whimpering, the guy obviously is way too ignorant to care what you have to say about it. Point is OP told the dog owner about his dog, the man obviously didn't care, so there was no point in even telling him. And next time to phone him in, rather than just telling him politely about his dog gasping for cool air. The end result was nothing but a bad taste in OP's mouth.

Hunting Alberta
08-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Wow, you're still not getting it. I'll try to spell it out for you.

It did NOT matter what he said to that dog owner, the fact is, dog ended up being left in that hot truck after OP told him about the dog. So it didn't matter. As I said before, I would have told him about it too......call me a cynic if you will, but I'd rather have the ass charged for brutalizing his dog than deal with his ignorance. It's safe to assume when you see a dog in a hot car on a hot day, the dog yelping and whimpering, the guy obviously is way too ignorant to care what you have to say about it. Point is OP told the dog owner about his dog, the man obviously didn't care, so there was no point in even telling him. And next time to phone him in, rather than just telling him politely about his dog gasping for cool air. The end result was nothing but a bad taste in OP's mouth.

Dude your a ing idiot seriously everytime you type something you sounds more and more retarted give it up no one takes your post seriously after your first post anyways. i think buddy did the right thing anyone that ignorant deserves a good f in paddle upside the head dont matter what province your in or you are from...