PDA

View Full Version : Free Firewood

TreeGuy
09-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Hey guys. If anyone wants some good free firewood here's some info for ya.

I'm on a job in NE Calgary and were are killing some big Poplars. The company we are subing for told us just to leave it and they would truck it out. However, if anyone wants some, it's yours for the taking!

I have about 8 cords cut and piled, and everything is already cut to firewood length. It is on the east side of a townhouse complex behind the Marlbrough Mall, between Memorial Drive and Marbank Drive. It is in a courtyard, but feel free to just drive in, although it IS the ghetto, so WATCH your stuff! I've already had one little squabble with a stupid crack-head, and there are a number of dealers and gang bangers there so keep you head up! I've worked in there for a couple of years now, and most of my confrontations have come when I've had a chainsaw in hand......talk about an exclaimation point on telling them that I'll fu*king KILL them is they mess with my stuff! They don't bother with me anymore.:evilgrin:

Anyway, if anyone wants a bunch of free pre-cut wood, its all yours. Just let me know, and I can give further advice. I won't be on site this weekend, but we should be there most of next week.

Tree

Mad_Mikee
09-29-2007, 10:12 AM
PM Sent

TreeGuy
09-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Did you get as much as you wanted? I'll probably be on site most of the week, so there'll be tons (literally) more to come!

Tree

rugatika
09-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Cool pic Tree. That saw looks pretty big next to you, but that tree makes you both look tiny. Must be a rush dropping those monsters.

Hilgy
09-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey Tree thats your little saw right?:) That looks like some big wood for Alberta

TreeGuy
09-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey Higy, where you been hiding? Of course that's my small saw (Husky, unfortunately), it's all about the over-compensation man!:rolleyes:

Yeah Rug, after 16 years, knocking one of those bad boys over NEVER gets old!:evilgrin:

Tree

Reeves1
10-01-2007, 03:47 AM
That poor baby tree is hardly big enough for an 8' 2x6 !

:evilgrin:

If you like working for free, I have a "shelter belt" that needs cleaning out !
Well, maybe not. Beavers are working hard at cleaning it out for me :mad3:

Mad_Mikee
10-01-2007, 07:57 AM
My brother and I picked up a couple truck loads yesterday (well, more like 1.5 truck loads). We managed to fill my 3/4 tonne chev and his Barbie truck (toyota tacoma). The wood is cut into some large pieces and is pretty wet. I'm sure the Barbie truck was begging for mercy have a few pieces.

Unless you're He-Man, make sure you book yourself some chiro or massage time after picking up the wood.

My brother was super happy for the free firewood but said he'd still like to know what kind of chainsaw was able to cut those trees.

Mad_Mikee

TreeGuy
10-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Hey Mikee. Glad you guys got some wood. It's nice when you can cherry pick the better stuff.

90% of the wood was cut with a Husky (:mad3: ) 575XP, with a 20" or 24" bar. Fortunately no need yet for a chiro or otherwise. Once the trunks start getting bigger, I start cutting more to weight than length, however, I do take a bit of enjoyment out of burying alot of the small stuff under the fat boys.....the higher the better. Sometimes, my ground guy looks at me funny!:lol:

We killed 2 more of 'em today, and will be on site for maybe the rest of the week. Did ya get to meet any of the local superstars? I avoid that place like the plauge on the weekends when most of the real characters are around. Anyway, enjoy the wood and just let me know if you start to run out again and I'll hook ya up!

Tree

BigBuck$
10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Check this link out!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_owXd_MsdXI

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mad_Mikee
10-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Tree,

I warned my brother before we got there. We made sure to go mid-day to avoid as much shady activity in that area.

We met a few of the locals. Definately nice people to know from a distance.
The one lady came out and asked what we were doing. She said whoever cut down the trees should be shot. She figured some of the bigger discs you cut would be good for table tops. She asked if we were going to make furniture out of it but my brother said, nope..only for firewood so he could cook some hotdogs. She grabbed a few pieces and took them to her condo unit. In a matter of 5 minutes she managed to smoke about half a pack of cigarettes and you could tell she was itchin to get back inside to indulge in whatever chemicals she had stashed in there.

The 2 truck loads of wood are now sitting on my brothers driveway for him to split and stack. I took a couple good whacks at one piece of wood with an 8lb splitting maul and barely made a dent.
I'm sure the wood pile will keep him busy for a few nights this week.

Thanks again for the wood.

Mikee

undun272
10-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Is the firewood still available?

Grizzly Adams
10-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Is the firewood still available?
More important, is it dry. Nothing harder to dry than unsplit poplar.:D
Grizz

Mad_Mikee
10-12-2008, 09:54 AM
The wood will be long gone. I took 2 truck loads last year but it was sitting it the middle of a residential area. That stuff was big, heavy and definately close to impossible to split.