PDA

View Full Version : whats with alberta regs!!

Braun
08-17-2010, 10:25 PM
i was searching for fishing applications on my ipod today just to see if there was anything new or cool. (which there were some pretty cool fishing log apps) and there was a free app for bc fishing. i decide to check it out and its their entire regulations on the app. I know not all people have ipods or phones but im sure there is a fair amount who do and this i thought was a great idea. i think they even had a tab for weather/current conditions at certain fishing spots.

i know alberta has its heart set on having the most confusing fishing regulations but there is no need to hold back on having something like this.

Braun
08-17-2010, 10:30 PM
on a side note, does anyone keep a fishing log/journal? im starting to think i might be a little over the top for wanting to keep one. i have experimented with several way of keeping a log. any one else do this or am i just a little :126fs2277341: :1041:

Calgaryguy1977
08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Actually not at all. I thought this same thing. It would be neat to keep track and for years down the road you can look back and see what you caught and what you caught it on and when. In fact, a network of people willing to participate would be awesome for data purposes and helpful for those trying new spots.

Donkey Oatey
08-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Easiest way to fix this is to send an email to Fish and Wildlife saying that BC has this neat app and it would be a good thing for Alberta. Maybe no one has thought of it in Government.

Guitarplayingfish
08-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Fishing logs are great ideas. Have you ever ran into a part of the year when you are stumped for what to use? Thats when you can check your log and see what was biting where on what the previous years. Logs are great idea's, and I really wish I would have started one years ago.

Braun
08-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know if a blank fishing log can be bought(similar to a daily planer) or and other type of ideas like what they use of a log? i dono if i will try one on my Ipod. If it was an i phone i probably would because i could quickly take a picture of the fish and then go back and put the details into the fishing log like size and what it was caught on after the fishing trip was done.

Tom Pullings
08-18-2010, 10:00 AM
I just recently downloaded one called fishbook lite for my iPhone. It's pretty neat. Allows me to keep picture records of what fish I caught and on what. Just snap a pic, release the fish and then add in the location and other data. Best of all it was free.

Braun
08-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I just recently downloaded one called fishbook lite for my iPhone. It's pretty neat. Allows me to keep picture records of what fish I caught and on what. Just snap a pic, release the fish and then add in the location and other data. Best of all it was free.

ya that would totally would be what i would want but as i said, i dont have an iphone. just my ipod. so to go and add the pictures id need to take it with a camera and then do it all when i get home. but i guess if i liked the app i would just store the info then add a picture later at home. still kind of a pain.

Urban Nightmare
08-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I downloaded the PDF version of the regs on to my phone for looking up while out and about. Granted this isn't that great as you need to zoom in and out to read them. But at least I have them with me all of the time. That and I keep a copy in the truck.

Rob Miskosky
08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Relax, there will be an App for the regs in 2011. Be careful with what you are downloading regarding the BC App. The company that did that is very suspect and those regs may or may not be up-to-date.

Braun
08-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Relax, there will be an App for the regs in 2011. Be careful with what you are downloading regarding the BC App. The company that did that is very suspect and those regs may or may not be up-to-date.

Nice! that is awesome. that is also interesting about the BC app. you made me go back and look at it and its stating that the regulations on the app are for 2009 - 2011. I can definately see why there would be a descrepency there. unless BC only produces regs every 3 years. I am unsure but i would think that is stupid personally. does someone know how often those regs are done?

and thinking about it the BC app is cool and handy but there could be a little more too it. it basically just shows the regs divided by district and thats it. Kind of bare bones but lots of potential. Maybe if alberta is going to do a app they should look for suggestions on what they could do with it. like some sort of reporting system where they can report water levels so certain main water ways or runnoff/flooding....... maybe even a news feed to report anything going on in the water ways or a new record catch. or even something where people can submit a catch and they can post the seasons biggest catches.

nicemustang
08-18-2010, 10:45 AM
How hard is it to read the regs before you go or have a paper copy (that is free) in your tackle box or what have you. Sometimes I feel we are living in a pusified time with all this "technology". And I wouldn't rely on any "app" unless it was put out by the SRD and FnW.

Keeping a fish log is very helpful and I just started this year. It's amazing to see how much time I spend fishing LOL.

Braun
08-18-2010, 10:52 AM
How hard is it to read the regs before you go or have a paper copy (that is free) in your tackle box or what have you. Sometimes I feel we are living in a pusified time with all this "technology". And I wouldn't rely on any "app" unless it was put out by the SRD and FnW.

Keeping a fish log is very helpful and I just started this year. It's amazing to see how much time I spend fishing LOL.

I still read my paper regs regularily. I wouldnt use the app to read it. but it is handy to have if anything were to change. reading something on an Ipod sucks. My regs stay in my car cause i dont like the paper in my back pack(tackle box). i would only use the app if i were to quickly look something up when there is a last minute change in plans or if i am somewhere like work or a friends and we are planning a trip and my regs arnt handy.