PDA

View Full Version : NSR near Devon

thefisher
08-18-2010, 01:01 PM
I am wondering how fishable the river is by the Devon bridge this time of year. I was thinking of heading out there and trying it.
Any suggestions as to what gear to use, Lures, spinners, jigs, etc.
I already know that the pickerel rig should be effective.

fishmania
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I dont know I was out their on monday morning for 3 hour and didnt catch a thing not even a nibble:rolleye2:

thefisher
08-18-2010, 05:07 PM
did you fish right by the bridge or did you walk a couple hundred yards down?
What kind of gear were you using?

Safety D
08-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Its DEAD there !!

thefisher
08-18-2010, 07:21 PM
i have heard that it is one of the best places to fish around edmonton, just not sure about the devon area

Retired
08-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Bin there and you will be disappointed.... on any good weekend day ... the place is crawing with kids and boats, etc........ get a map and move upstream a mile or 2 ... better there

fishmania
08-18-2010, 08:13 PM
How do you get a mile or 2 up steam i started walking that way along the shore but you get to point from were I was that you have walk in the river to get around this one point

Retired
08-18-2010, 09:46 PM
if you check the county map you will see a road approach about 2 miles up stream on both sides of the NSR... an old county map can can be picked up for free at the Leduc county building during business hours in Nisku... it's the tall building just east of the Nisku Inn on the airport road .... since the county runs west for miles it is good to have and will show several access points

Tyangelo
08-18-2010, 11:50 PM
As a Devon local, and having grown up here, I'll let you in on some info. I've got a few honey holes around town, and the bridge has to be hands down, the worst fishing spot in the area, HOWEVER it's the easiest to access, and the most advertised. I'll let you in on one of my spots, but it takes a bit of walking. 10 mins maybe. If you come in to town, find the entrance to the water treatment plant, on the northernmost street in town. There will be a road going down towards the river. There is a no trespassing sign aimed at people driving down the road to the plant, but there are hiking/biking trail heads down there, and no one will even glance at you if you walk down. The road will snake down, and you'll reach the plant. Facing the river, to your right is the golf course. There will be a trail starting that parallels the river, and is between the bank and the golf course. Walk down that trail about 75 feet, and the trail will go under a cluster of spruce trees for about 20 feet, and there will be an abundance of pine needles on the ground. As soon as the trail opens up again, there will be a trail going down the river. The fishing spot is to the right of the beaver dam

There is a big, deep hole, with a back eddy there. Cast a pickerel rig out with some nightcrawlers, near where the eddy meets the current for goldeye and suckers. Once you get bored of that, Head about 50 feet to the left of the beaver dam, and fire out your favorite spoons or plugs for pike, sauger, and walleye.

I know this sounds complicated, but I'm just trying to be as detailed as possible. Enjoy, and tightlines!

reeferguy
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the spot Tyangelo. My wife and I have been throwing everything but the tackle box into the river by the bridge and have been getting skunked. We will give your spot a try. If you are willing to share any other spots around Devon, I'm all ears!

thefisher
08-19-2010, 12:39 PM
wow thanks for the info i will definately try that out, that has to be the most useful response i have had on this forum.
Fifty feet down do you know if jigs are effective?
Is it weedy there or is it fine?

Jayball
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
As a Devon local, and having grown up here, I'll let you in on some info. I've got a few honey holes around town, and the bridge has to be hands down, the worst fishing spot in the area, HOWEVER it's the easiest to access, and the most advertised. I'll let you in on one of my spots, but it takes a bit of walking. 10 mins maybe. If you come in to town, find the entrance to the water treatment plant, on the northernmost street in town. There will be a road going down towards the river. There is a no trespassing sign aimed at people driving down the road to the plant, but there are hiking/biking trail heads down there, and no one will even glance at you if you walk down. The road will snake down, and you'll reach the plant. Facing the river, to your right is the golf course. There will be a trail starting that parallels the river, and is between the bank and the golf course. Walk down that trail about 75 feet, and the trail will go under a cluster of spruce trees for about 20 feet, and there will be an abundance of pine needles on the ground. As soon as the trail opens up again, there will be a trail going down the river. The fishing spot is to the right of the beaver dam

There is a big, deep hole, with a back eddy there. Cast a pickerel rig out with some nightcrawlers, near where the eddy meets the current for goldeye and suckers. Once you get bored of that, Head about 50 feet to the left of the beaver dam, and fire out your favorite spoons or plugs for pike, sauger, and walleye.

I know this sounds complicated, but I'm just trying to be as detailed as possible. Enjoy, and tightlines!

Hey good on ya for sharing! Thx very much.

Darren N
08-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks to buddy for sharing. I have been trying to find a spot near Devon for years. Out of respect, I will share this with nobody other than the the respectable people that have clicked on this thread, and I imagine the rest would feel this way as well.

Tyangelo
08-19-2010, 09:58 PM
No problem boys! Mind you I havnt been down there in a year and a half, but it's rarely let me down. I've had mild success throwing small mepps spinners etc for goldeye etc, but I highly recommend the crawlers. Yep, it's to the left (west) of the golf course. The clearer the water the better. It's a good spot because it's all mud, and is the biggest back eddy for a few miles. Tight lines! I'm at Carson til Sunday slaying trout, but Ill be more than willing to take you guys down there, or anyone else who wants to try around town next week. Powerbait etc might have some good hits too, although I've never tried.

countrykid
08-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Ummm........would you be an amateur goldminer, too, Tyangelo?

Tyangelo
08-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Only when Im pickin my nose.