PDA

View Full Version : Bow River - Gas Plant West of Cochrane

S-in-Cochrane
08-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Just went out there for an hour or two last night with the GF.

We had a couple nibbles, nothing really to speak of. Spent more time untangling her line, she's not used to light weight lures and kept jerking the lure out of the water.

Just wanted to say, wow what a gorgeous spot. It was pretty quiet, could here birds chirping, a few fish surfacing. There seems to be a few pools there, though I'm no expert on "reading" a river.

Cheers,

S

ÜberFly
08-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Be glad you didn't go on a weekend!! Quite a few Jet boats blasting around and lots of anglers, canoists and families on the water - very popular float from Ghost Dam to Cochrane (noted area for poachers, as well so keep your eyes open) and lots of garbage/bait containers (other then maggots and out of maggot season- so bring a bag next time you go and pick up after all the idiots if you can :)). I've only caught small fish there- a few rainbows (nothing worth keeping - even though you can keep rainbows under 35 cm) and small whities (always see people keeping whities under 30 cm, though - call them in but never know if anything is done b/c we are usually floating by).

P

diadromous
08-19-2010, 09:59 AM
I haven't had much success at this spot either, I think it gets a little too much fishing pressure and the larger fish have moved further away. It is a beautiful spot though.

S-in-Cochrane
08-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I'd like to think its the spot I was fishing haha. I've only tried the Bow here and by the 22 bridge in town. I'm not much of a river fisher. Trying to learn though! Might help if I tried flies... meant to try that this year but the summer kind of slipped away from me .... oh well!

__
S

McDeth
08-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Ya'll are nuts...there is practically zero fishing pressure on the bow between ghost and bearspaw, especially in comparison to the rest of the river. I catch tons of trout over 20", and recently i've even caught a few nice cutties. You basically NEED waders to get anywhere near the fish if you're fishing near the gas plant.