PDA

View Full Version : thermacell mosquito repellent

ORV
08-19-2010, 10:29 AM
just wondering how these work? any idea if the keep horseflies away?
i see bass pro has them on sale for sept long.
approx how long do they last?

appreciate any info.

thanks

orv.

Geezle
08-19-2010, 10:32 AM
I saw those things at Princess Auto...not sure how well they work but they did look interesting.

I noticed they have their own little butane refills for it though, and they were all sold out at the time. Anybody know if you can use it with just a regular can of butane or refill the little ones somehow? :confused:

Castincowboy
08-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I had posted my independent article I wrote on ThermaCELL (I DO NOT get paid to write any of my product review articles... I wish!). However it appears I inadvertantly violated the forums advertising policy and it was deleted by Admin.

So if you'd like to read it please PM me and I'll send you the link to my free article. However, commenting on it might violate another policy:rolleye2:

JohnB
08-19-2010, 10:55 AM
just wondering how these work? any idea if the keep horseflies away?
i see bass pro has them on sale for sept long.
approx how long do they last?

appreciate any info.

thanks

orv.

They work great; I've been using one when bear hunting over bait for the past 4 years. Not sure if they work on horsefles. Not sure how long they last but you could check out there website.

CMMahy
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
I've been super happy with mine so far this year, it takes about 10-15 minutes after lighting for them to start repelling the mosquitos. Just make sure to keep it upwind from you for maximum effectiveness.

I've got no idea if they work on horse flies or not. Each "card" of repellent works for about 4-5 hours it seems, and you can usually use 3 cards for every butane cartridge. Refill packs come with the cards and butane.

bushnell
08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Have a couple packed with the camping gear,never leave home without them.They work great.

ORV
08-20-2010, 07:13 AM
thanks for the info everyone. i picked up one at the fishing hole last night.
wish i would have had earlier this year.
looking forward to checking it out.
hey, at least it is a toy i can justify. lol

thanks

orv.

Rockymtnx
08-20-2010, 10:17 AM
They work great!
I was 100% sold the first time a friend brought one out to my shooting range this year. I was so sold I went out and bought two of them the following week.
From the time you fire it up they take about 5-10 minutes to work properly. From there they seem to work effectively for 5-6 hours.
I know they have been out on the market for a couple year now, I am just not sure why I didn’t have one sooner.

cluneyboy
08-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi all,just a little heads up about ThermaCELL units.If you are using them near water bodies,read the fine print on the back.
"This pesticide is highly toxic to fish.Do not apply directly to water.Drift from treated areas may be hazardous to organisms in adjacent aquatic sites".
It really surprises me that places like the Fishing Hole don't inform people of this,or maybe they don't know.
Anyway,something to think about.