PDA

View Full Version : Mount Lorette pond restocked

Fordman150
08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
If anyone is heading out to K country with the kids to fish stop by Mnt Lorette pond. Must have just restocked with small rainbows. Great fun as water is very clear and you can see the schools swimming from one end to the other. Use spinners or slip bobber setup. This is on the main pond when you come from the entrance. Have fun.

ORV
08-19-2010, 04:10 PM
that is good. it was a wasted trip for us a few weeks ago.(too busy at sibbald meadows)
hopefully the kid,s & the handicapped it was intended for
get to enjoy some fishing before it is gutted again.

orv.

jts1
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
That pond will last 2 days before its fished out. But thats what the stocked ponds are for. Keeps the pressure of natural fisheries

Spidey
08-19-2010, 08:18 PM
That pond will last 2 days before its fished out. But thats what the stocked ponds are for. Keeps the pressure of natural fisheries

You are bang on jts1. I was volunteering with some geriatric hospital patients fishing at Lorette on Tuesday and we saw the big truck roll in and deliver around 1000 rainbows. We had to leave soon after the fish were stocked but I came back a few hours later and caught about 40 in a little over an hour. Almost felt guilty it was so easy.... They were all in the 8-12" range (and I realeased every one.) I took a friend and both our kids out there tonight and we only caught 4 in about an hour of fishing.

Now, I know this issue has been brought up before, but I've never personally experienced it until now. When we arrived at Lorette Ponds tonight there were a group of 5 or 6 asians fishing and I watched them pull in fish after fish (I believe they were speaking Vietnamese or Chinese). I started watching them a little more closely and witnessed one of them harvest three (limit is two) in just the half hour since I arrived. I was a little miffed and mentioned it to another guy walking by and he didn't seem impressed either and yelled over asking if they are aware of the limit. They said yes, but the funny thing is that after that, they stopped keeping all the fish they caught. They stayed for another half hour or so then headed out. The guy that quizzed them on the limit and his son went over to the spot they vacated and saw that they were using fish parts as bait. It's hard to break the law on a fishery where most bait is allowed, but they managed to.

Now I don't want to be labelled a racist but seriously, they acted as if they had no regard for the fishery. I lived in Japan for three years and know better than to blanket all asians the same.

I didn't have my cell with me but am not sure if the COs would have come given that it was just a small stocked pond and K-County is a busy area. On the one hand it's better that this happen there than on a natural reproducing fishery. On the other hand, people like this severly limit the number of days of enjoyment that can be had by kids and families on our stocked ponds (that our tax dollars pay to populate.)

So, don't get too excited folks. Mt. Lorette Pond will soon be nealry depleted again.... I wish that people could become "CO Deputies" (kind of like those that help out the RCMP but aren't actually members and don't carry firearms) - one could take some basic training and be given some ID and the authority to check people's tackle and licenses and if they are not complying, then be able to call it in. It would address the gap between Report a Poacher and the COs actually being able to get there in time.

Frost1545
08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
So, don't get too excited folks. Mt. Lorette Pond will soon be nealry depleted again.... I wish that people could become "CO Deputies" (kind of like those that help out the RCMP but aren't actually members and don't carry firearms) - one could take some basic training and be given some ID and the authority to check people's tackle and licenses and if they are not complying, then be able to call it in. It would address the gap between Report a Poacher and the COs actually being able to get there in time.

like this idea even if just a few people

Calgaryguy1977
08-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I hate to paint a group with one brush and this sounds bad but why the hell do asians (oddly I dont see anyone else doing it) take 3 or 4 times their limit? I saw this at Allen Bill pond at least 50 times this year. Either they don't follow regs or they are making a mockery of them. It just ****es me right off when I see people treating these places like a grocery store. I wish they would consider giving people the option to volunteer for the CO's and hand out tickets.....I would be all over that ****. It would be nice to see a pond stay stocked for more than 2 weeks. I take the odd one but I throw about 99% of them back. It seems some people don't understand the sport....at all.

Don't get me wrong I talk to different asian people there and some of them are fine but I see the large majority of them breaking the rules. Keeping over their limit, using illegal bait, having more than one rod in the water at one time etc.
Again I don't like to paint everyone with one brush because some follow regs but the majority don't......just calling a spade a spade. A large number of my friends are asian and I suspect the culprits to be FOBS as my asian buddies call them. (Fresh off the boat)

jts1
08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
One front page headline reading

POACHER VICTIM OF FISHEMEN JUSTICE

A poacher was found nek'd tied to a tree with two black eyes today , seemingly a victim of fishermen justice.

I am sure the mesg would get out. A warning to all some of us dont call 911.

Spidey
08-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Ignorance is no excuse when you are a recent immigrant. When I used to live in Japan, I often got branded as American - which was not good. We lived in an area next to a US Military Base and the locals did not appreciate the crap pulled by the yanks when they went off base. However, as a result I tried extra hard to obey the rules and social etiquette. I also learned the language which went a long way. I actually saw two US soldiers on a public bus try and ask a Japanese person for directions and when the Japanese person made a gesture that he didn't speak English, the soldiers actually asked him the exact same question in English, but this time at twice as loud :sign0176:

The moral of my little tale is that it should be easy to spot those of asian decent and limited english who obey the fishing rules as they are probably aware of the shenanegans of others and do not want to get painted with the same brush.

As an aside, the only English radio station we got while living in Japan was Armed Forces Radio and I distinctly remember a couple of their PSAs for the new (and I assume young) soldiers recently arriving in Japan:

"Brushing your teeth 2-3 times a day is good oral hygene"

"Just because you have blank cheques, does not mean you have money in the bank." (I loved that one!)

Fordman150
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
We let all ours go.. can't see keeping a sardine for a meal. You'd have to have 20 of them for a meal. Also, the limits are posted clearly at the main parking lot and right where you enter the pond.

Sundancefisher
08-22-2010, 05:42 PM
I have seen every age, race, religion, ethnic and sex poaching. NONE are immune. Take photos, video, license numbers. Call the report a poacher line and report the information. They can watch for the vehicles the next day and hopefully catch them in the act.

Trying to police everything will make you learn to hate the sport. The other thing you can do is fish closer to them and help them release every fish once their limit is caught. Everyone learns eventually.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/Fishing-Regs-2010.pdf

boot
08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
You are bang on jts1. I was volunteering with some geriatric hospital patients fishing at Lorette on Tuesday and we saw the big truck roll in and deliver around 1000 rainbows. We had to leave soon after the fish were stocked but I came back a few hours later and caught about 40 in a little over an hour. Almost felt guilty it was so easy.... They were all in the 8-12" range (and I realeased every one.) I took a friend and both our kids out there tonight and we only caught 4 in about an hour of fishing.

Now, I know this issue has been brought up before, but I've never personally experienced it until now. When we arrived at Lorette Ponds tonight there were a group of 5 or 6 asians fishing and I watched them pull in fish after fish (I believe they were speaking Vietnamese or Chinese). I started watching them a little more closely and witnessed one of them harvest three (limit is two) in just the half hour since I arrived. I was a little miffed and mentioned it to another guy walking by and he didn't seem impressed either and yelled over asking if they are aware of the limit. They said yes, but the funny thing is that after that, they stopped keeping all the fish they caught. They stayed for another half hour or so then headed out. The guy that quizzed them on the limit and his son went over to the spot they vacated and saw that they were using fish parts as bait. It's hard to break the law on a fishery where most bait is allowed, but they managed to.

Now I don't want to be labelled a racist but seriously, they acted as if they had no regard for the fishery. I lived in Japan for three years and know better than to blanket all asians the same.

I didn't have my cell with me but am not sure if the COs would have come given that it was just a small stocked pond and K-County is a busy area. On the one hand it's better that this happen there than on a natural reproducing fishery. On the other hand, people like this severly limit the number of days of enjoyment that can be had by kids and families on our stocked ponds (that our tax dollars pay to populate.)

What is exactly is your point about them being Asian? I mean seriously, you couldn't express your concern without pointing out their ethnicity? Why not their height or clothes or age or gender? What is so special about them being Asian?

I'm not saying that Asians don't poach. Some do. Some don't. Some white people poach. Some don't. Poaching is a serious problem... I agree. I'm also not calling you a racist, but seriously, what's your point? Even if you're not a racist, you help to perpetuate a serious problem, by influencing stupid people with your ONE experience. I mean look at Calgaryguy1977's response. You seem like a stand up kind of guy (volunteering with the elderly), so do you really want to be clumped in the same group as Calgaryguy1977?

Also, people don't speak Chinese. The main dialects (Mandarin and Cantonese) are different and both sound nothing like Vietnamese.

And the last thing we need is for "deputies" to go around harassing non-whites. Can you imagine Calgaryguy1977 profiling all the Asians at his favorite pond because the majority of Asians are problems. Sure, some of us are "fine", but most of us are a problem. Afterall, he's caught us 50 times this year alone with 3-4 times our limit.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

This is the second racial thread I've been on in the last few days... just gross.

hal53
08-22-2010, 05:50 PM
^^^^^ valid points...but the fact remains ..if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....it's likely a duck

boot
08-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I have seen every age, race, religion, ethnic and sex poaching. NONE are immune. Take photos, video, license numbers. Call the report a poacher line and report the information. They can watch for the vehicles the next day and hopefully catch them in the act.

Trying to police everything will make you learn to hate the sport. The other thing you can do is fish closer to them and help them release every fish once their limit is caught. Everyone learns eventually.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/Fishing-Regs-2010.pdf

Thank-you Sundancefisher! This is one of the most intelligent posts I've read in a while. No broad generalizations based on 1 or 2 experiences. No stereotypes based on stories from a friend of a friend. Just pure simple fact... find a poacher... report the facts! NICE.

hal53
08-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Thank-you Sundancefisher! This is one of the most intelligent posts I've read in a while. No broad generalizations based on 1 or 2 experiences. No stereotypes based on stories from a friend of a friend. Just pure simple fact... find a poacher... report the facts! NICE.
X2!!! Good Point.....I was just stating he was reporting what he saw....

Calgaryguy1977
08-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Granted I was ****ed off when I made the post but I think most people can agree there is a positive correlation there. Go to Allen Bill Pond sometime right after it's freshly stocked and tell me you don't see it happening. I personally don't care if you think I'm racist as I have plenty of asian friends myself that know different. I knew someone would play the racism card on this one but I don't really care because I was just saying what people are seeing. I'm sure there are plenty non asians that poach but I was just curious why it was always asian dudes I see doing it. That's not saying all asians poach or it's not painting them all with one brush. If you think that's being racist I feel sorry for you.

I also know Chinese isn't a language but Mandarin is because I took it in university.

Calgaryguy1977
08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
What is exactly is your point about them being Asian? I mean seriously, you couldn't express your concern without pointing out their ethnicity? Why not their height or clothes or age or gender? What is so special about them being Asian?

I'm not saying that Asians don't poach. Some do. Some don't. Some white people poach. Some don't. Poaching is a serious problem... I agree. I'm also not calling you a racist, but seriously, what's your point? Even if you're not a racist, you help to perpetuate a serious problem, by influencing stupid people with your ONE experience. I mean look at Calgaryguy1977's response. You seem like a stand up kind of guy (volunteering with the elderly), so do you really want to be clumped in the same group as Calgaryguy1977?

Also, people don't speak Chinese. The main dialects (Mandarin and Cantonese) are different and both sound nothing like Vietnamese.

And the last thing we need is for "deputies" to go around harassing non-whites. Can you imagine Calgaryguy1977 profiling all the Asians at his favorite pond because the majority of Asians are problems. Sure, some of us are "fine", but most of us are a problem. Afterall, he's caught us 50 times this year alone with 3-4 times our limit.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

This is the second racial thread I've been on in the last few days... just gross.

Clumped as the same group? What group would that be? I'm not attacking you because your asian, I'm attacking the asians that poach. I was simply stating most of the offenders I see happen to be. Oh well if you are offended by that.
Also let me make one thing clear I don't think the majority of asians poach but the majority of the people I see poaching are asian. Understand the difference?

Simple enough solution though...next time I call it in regardless of race religeon or color because talking about it makes me racist apparently.
There's one fellow on here I think his name is Eric or something he's a standup guy who follows the regs who also happens to be asian. We spoke about this one time and he didn't seem to think I was being racist and understood the point I was making. Too bad you don't!
Cheers

boot
08-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Granted I was ****ed off when I made the post but I think most people can agree there is a positive correlation there. Go to Allen Bill Pond sometime right after it's freshly stocked and tell me you don't see it happening. I personally don't care if you think I'm racist as I have plenty of asian friends myself that know different. I knew someone would play the racism card on this one but I don't really care because I was just saying what people are seeing. I'm sure there are plenty non asians that poach but I was just curious why it was always asian dudes I see doing it. That's not saying all asians poach or it's not painting them all with one brush. If you think that's being racist I feel sorry for you.

I also know Chinese isn't a language but Mandarin is because I took it in university.

I get it, but what's wrong with some constructive discussions? I mean, instead of saying that the majority of Asians are poachers, why not just say that Bill Allen pond has a large community of Asians that go there. And I've seen a number of them poach. As a constructive approach, you may be able to talk to them in Mandarin (although it's likely they speak Cantonese). Or maybe we can put additional signs up in the area written in Chinese (if there's a large community of Chinese) to help address a localized problem around Bill Allen pond. I understand that there are problems with the Asian communities in regards to poaching and there are pockets of communities that are hit harder. But the generalizations made here make it sound like a purely Asian problem in all parts of our waters. This is simply not true.

Also, Chinese is a language (the language is written), but there are many dialects. The same language is spoken differently and it sounds nothing like Vietnamese.

boot
08-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Also let me make one thing clear I don't think the majority of asians poach but the majority of the people I see poaching are asian. Understand the difference?

I absolutely understand the difference and I appreciate you clearing it up, but your original post stated the former and not the latter.

Calgaryguy1977
08-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Honestly, the sign in different dialects and languages is an awesome idea because then nobody can claim ignorance. Also the kids that go there will be able to catch something because there's not some middle aged man there keeping 20-30 fish (regardless of race).

hal53
08-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I get it, but what's wrong with some constructive discussions? I mean, instead of saying that the majority of Asians are poachers, why not just say that Bill Allen pond has a large community of Asians that go there. And I've seen a number of them poach. As a constructive approach, you may be able to talk to them in Mandarin (although it's likely they speak Cantonese). Or maybe we can put additional signs up in the area written in Chinese (if there's a large community of Chinese) to help address a localized problem around Bill Allen pond. I understand that there are problems with the Asian communities in regards to poaching and there are pockets of communities that are hit harder. But the generalizations made here make it sound like a purely Asian problem in all parts of our waters. This is simply not true.

Also, Chinese is a language (the language is written), but there are many dialects. The same language is spoken differently and it sounds nothing like Vietnamese.
Put up signs in Cantonese and Mandarin????...this is Canada!!!!!...how multi-lingual do we have to be????..how did they buy a license if they can't speak the language and want to assimilate into our country???. It is way too convenient for the "no speak English" defense...sorry rant over

Calgaryguy1977
08-22-2010, 06:18 PM
I absolutely understand the difference and I appreciate you clearing it up, but your original post stated the former and not the latter.

Good point....I was a little steamed when I posted it but it's not what I intended or meant!

boot
08-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Put up signs in Cantonese and Mandarin????...this is Canada!!!!!...how multi-lingual do we have to be????..how did they buy a license if they can't speak the language and want to assimilate into our country???. It is way too convenient for the "no speak English" defense...sorry rant over

There are multi-lingual signs in many places. The signs cost very little and would be put up based on community size and need. If people identify that an area has a higher population of a few ethnic communities, what's the harm in putting up some additional signs? It would help educate and promote a better fishery for everyone involved. I'm not saying put up 20 signs of different languages at every lake and stream, but if we recognize a problem, why not start addressing it with a cheap form of education?

boot
08-22-2010, 06:49 PM
There are multi-lingual signs in many places. The signs cost very little and would be put up based on community size and need. If people identify that an area has a higher population of a few ethnic communities, what's the harm in putting up some additional signs? It would help educate and promote a better fishery for everyone involved. I'm not saying put up 20 signs of different languages at every lake and stream, but if we recognize a problem, why not start addressing it with a cheap form of education?

Also, the Alberta fishing regulations are notoriously difficult to read. Many people have made mistakes trying to understand the regulations and all the exceptions and map locations. I'm not trying to excuse not knowing the regulations, but the reality of the matter is that most first generation immigrants will not be able to read/understand all the regulations.

So imagine a simple sign in Chinese that states a limit of 2 fish (or whatever the limit is for your body of water), no barbs, and have your fishing licenses on hand at your local pond. Then some maximum fine limit for violations. With a little enforcement, I bet the frequency of problems at your local pond goes down over time. Again, this is a specific example... I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas and other ethnic communities that could benefit from brainstorming ideas, instead of just pointing fingers.

Spidey
08-22-2010, 09:07 PM

Hmmmm. That's kind of like spotting a bear in a campground and and not bothering to describe to the COs whether it was black, grizzley, polar, koala or malaysian sun....My intent was not to touch off racist rant, but rather describe what I saw. To be more specific it was three men, two women and two children and one baby in a stroller. One woman actually caught two trout at the same time on her rig. Not a great lesson the children were getting either.

This was only my second direct experience with poaching. The other was a husband and wife from the maritimes using powerbait on the upper K. After chatting with them (I prefer to play undercover detective to vigillante), they openly admitted they knew what they were doing, so I promptly left the area and called it in (complete with license plate, description of car, race, and "east coast accent" - which, I believe, all contributed in arrests.)

My describing this group at Lorette as asian has obviously touched a nerve with you. That's good. The only reason you are angry or frustrated is that, very unfortunately, there is some truth to this (whether you feel it's blown out of proportion or not.) And yes, not all asians are poachers. That would be an incredibly racist judgement for anyone to make. My simple tentant is that something really needs to be done here - and playing politically correct gets us no where. I like the subsequent discussions re: increasing awareness and multi-lingual signage (not too sure about the earlier suggestion of babysitting people once they catch their limit,though.) And yes, I appreciate your language lession re: Mandarin, Cantonese, etc. Because I speak Japanese and some Korean, I knew it was neither of those languages. It was merely my attempt to narrow it down - not profile or pigeon hole. I guess I could have said "asian but for sure not Japanese, Korean, or Fillipino".

Boot, your reaction actually seems very similar to my initial reactions when living in Japan and getting lumped in with the few obnoxious Americans that made the news by doing some really nasty things to the locals. Being stereotyed really burned my butt! However, it lit a fire under me and rather than try and play the victim and make it my mission to correct everyone, I got involved in my community, learned the language, and volunteered with the hope of my actions tempering the predjudice aimed at white folks living in my neighborhood in Japan. And you know what - it worked - for me and my well-being anyway. I was less frustrated and what was only going to be one year in Japan turned into three and having many great memories and life-long Japanese friends.

I also believe people need to acquaint themselves with the law and claiming ignorance is no excuse. Using fish parts as bait, multi lined rigs, and (although I can't say for sure) barbed hooks, is pretty blatant - requiring equally blatant descriptions. And yes, I said "descriptions" not "judgements".

My comment on deputies was not to sign up people to harass asians or non-whites :( (that's clearly your interpretation.) My idea was put up in an effort to have extra enforcement available to fill the gap in call-in and response times. Just an idea in an effort to solicit more ideas.... And on that note, please keep the ideas coming!

I do thank you for you weighing in on this discussion, Boot. Your input has clearly got more people talking, focussed the discussion on ideas and not rants, and more ideas flowing.

boot
08-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Hmmmm. That's kind of like spotting a bear in a campground and and not bothering to describe to the COs whether it was black, grizzley, polar, koala or malaysian sun....My intent was not to touch off racist rant, but rather describe what I saw. To be more specific it was three men, two women and two children and one baby in a stroller. One woman actually caught two trout at the same time on her rig. Not a great lesson the children were getting either.

I didn't really have a problem with the content of your post, but instead with the subsequent damage it can cause. The only description you provided was "Asian".

My describing this group at Lorette as asian has obviously touched a nerve with you. That's good. The only reason you are angry or frustrated is that, very unfortunately, there is some truth to this (whether you feel it's blown out of proportion or not.) And yes, not all asians are poachers. That would be an incredibly racist judgement for anyone to make. My simple tentant is that something really needs to be done here - and playing politically correct gets us no where. I like the subsequent discussions re: increasing awareness and multi-lingual signage (not too sure about the earlier suggestion of babysitting people once they catch their limit,though.) And yes, I appreciate your language lession re: Mandarin, Cantonese, etc. Because I speak Japanese and some Korean, I knew it was neither of those languages. It was merely my attempt to narrow it down - not profile or pigeon hole. I guess I could have said "asian but for sure not Japanese, Korean, or Fillipino".

Yes, of course there is truth to this, but without the proper dialogue, many of the resulting conclusions that are made on this forum are downright ugly. Also, I'm not asking you to be politically correct, but sensitive to a different problem (discrimination). Even though your conclusions may not be racist, your words can easily mislead people or validate their backward thinking.

Boot, your reaction actually seems very similar to my initial reactions when living in Japan and getting lumped in with the few obnoxious Americans that made the news by doing some really nasty things to the locals. Being stereotyed really burned my butt! However, it lit a fire under me and rather than try and play the victim and make it my mission to correct everyone, I got involved in my community, learned the language, and volunteered with the hope of my actions tempering the predjudice aimed at white folks living in my neighborhood in Japan. And you know what - it worked - for me and my well-being anyway. I was less frustrated and what was only going to be one year in Japan turned into three and having many great memories and life-long Japanese friends.

I like your approach, but mine is different. I'm not trying to play the victim and I'm not trying to correct everyone. Instead, I try and correct where I can with the opportunities that I'm given. If I notice a thread like this and the direction it takes, I don't think keeping quiet is a good response.

Anyhow, I appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts and experiences. Hopefully we can all work together to tackle poaching issues that affect all our waters and all our communities.

Spidey
08-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Even though your conclusions may not be racist, your words can easily mislead people or validate their backward thinking.

I like your approach, but mine is different. I'm not trying to play the victim and I'm not trying to correct everyone. Instead, I try and correct where I can with the opportunities that I'm given. If I notice a thread like this and the direction it takes, I don't think keeping quiet is a good response.

Anyhow, I appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts and experiences. Hopefully we can all work together to tackle poaching issues that affect all our waters and all our communities.

Absolutely. I would probably have taken a similar stand if the roles were reversed. However, in order to move past this, acknowledgement and agreement of the issue needs to occur (the overriding issue is poaching and the secondary issue is the subsets of groups perpetuating the problem in certain areas - these issues are often the result of the culture and social beliefs of the group). If you check out poaching related posts on the hunting board, you will see similar discussions related to other minority groups. Usually those poaching discussions get derailed on the issue of racism and discrimination and very little gets resolved.

It seems, from reading the above posts, that acknowledgement on this issue occured when everyone could agree that not all asians poach but a small collection of them are making a bad name for all others. From there, specific ideas were generated from well-intentioned posters. Of course there may be folks looking for opportunities to grind their axes, but giving them air time by engaging in debate is sometimes less productive because that's all they want. Personally, I don't think that occurred on this topic but I've looked up the other topic you referenced and it did take a bit of an ugly turn. It's been my experience that 95% of folks are well-intentioned and act with integrity and the 5% of Machiavellians out there start to demand 95% of our energy - if we give it to them....

I still stand by my original post and the concerns I have have not changed. I don't think the good ideas that have surfaced so far would have necessarily come up if I had chosen to mince words. It's up to the good folks on this board like yourself and others to ensure the discussion is allowed to continue while maintaining a productive trajectory. Nothing gets resolved if we all go back to our corners angry waiting for the next round....

SushiUnagi
08-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Very well said Boot! Totally agree with you.

Being on this forum for a while now I've learned NOT to mention anything sensitive that could start a racial or sexual war. Although most of it is about 'asians' and 'poaching'. As an asian (Hong Konger to be exact), I feel like I should start poaching since it has since became a stereotypical statement.

Definitely take a picture of them, a recording of their voice, or if you are able to pinpoint their vehicle's license plate, that would definitely be helpful in busting them and slowly clearing up the name of all asians.

Fordman150
08-23-2010, 12:41 PM
WOW!! talk about hijacking a post that was meant to get the kids out to have a fun time fishing.. This is right up there with the post I made about taking my son out to PCR and how much fun he had. Guess I made the mistake on that post of attaching a picture of us fishing of the dock.. Are there any moderators who can see this????

Sundancefisher
08-23-2010, 12:52 PM
How about seeing with F&W if the regs are available online in other languages?

Still I agree that as a society we can not afford to have every regulation and law written in every concievable language...how ever the same can be said that we can not afford to have poaching continue if in some people's mind it is true ignorance versus an excuse. I know the regs were 5 a day once upon a time and now changed to 2 a day to prolong the harvest and allow more to partake in the sport here.

Still...I believe everyone getting a licence should know the rules and regs. Ignorance is no excuse but that is up the Fish Cops to decide in the field or the judge at the court house if required.

What we have found in our little area of Lake Sundance is that education and vigilance and reporting infractions help. A small minority does the crime...some followers imitate if the poaching minority are not punished. People feel more compelled if it is personal property so hey people...as a citizen of Canada and resident of Alberta...each and every fish belongs to everyone. You have rights to harvest but not steal other people's fish nor destroy others right to catch fish.

Protect your right and report! Rest assured...poachers will not poach if people are watching and phoning. Ignorant people will learn a lesson and not do it again. On a percentage basis...each and every one of you can make a difference.

Spidey
08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
WOW!! talk about hijacking a post that was meant to get the kids out to have a fun time fishing.. This is right up there with the post I made about taking my son out to PCR and how much fun he had. Guess I made the mistake on that post of attaching a picture of us fishing of the dock.. Are there any moderators who can see this????

My apologies Fordman. You must just have the gift of touching off chitstorms with innocuous posts :argue2: I remember seeing your PCR post (I didn't see that chitstorm coming either.)

My reply was merely intended to update your update and say that the fish in Lorette will soon be nearly gone, followed by what I observed to be a contributing factor. On the upside, I really think there has been some productive discussion on this issue which is why the mods may have not yet stepped in.

hunter49
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Dont get mad at calgaryguy for calling a spade a spade. If they were a different race I'm sure he would of included that in his post as well. As for making signs in different languages, thats quite funny. If you choose to come to Canada to live, you can surely take the time to learn the language!

Fordman150
08-23-2010, 01:30 PM
My apologies Fordman. You must just have the gift of touching off chitstorms with innocuous posts :argue2: I remember seeing your PCR post (I didn't see that chitstorm coming either.)

My reply was merely intended to update your update and say that the fish in Lorette will soon be nearly gone, followed by what I observed to be a contributing factor. On the upside, I really think there has been some productive discussion on this issue which is why the mods may have not yet stepped in.

No problems.. If more people would practice C&R on these ponds others could have the same fun we had. There were people keeping these small rainbows and even my kids couldn't believe it. If anyone has ever been to Lorette pond they can attest to how clear and beautiful the emerald colored water is. It was a great place for the kids to fish as you could see the fish chasing the lures and striking or turning their noses away if they didn't like what they saw.

Just thinking maybe a post could have been started on poaching and the actions to take if someone witnesses it.

Have fun fishing..

ps. did not see the chitstorms coming in either post but I guess I'll think twice before I post again.

Calgaryguy1977
08-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I understand boot's point. My first point implicated that all asians poach which is definately not true as I know there are quite a few on here that don't and most don't in general. I wasn't intending to come off that way. I should have kept what I seen to myself but all I was trying to say is the majority of poaching is see is done by asian people at the small stocked ponds. I don't want people to think I meant all asians poach. I have have plenty of asian friends and I don't want anyone to think im attacking a race. If it was natives I would say I see alot of natives poaching, if it was caucasians I would say I see alot of caucasians poaching. I'm not attacking a race just stating what I see/saw. I hope you understand the point I'm making.

Like I said in an earlier post there's no point complaining about it on here anyway because someone will get mad or take it out of context or misconstrue it. The best action is to just call it in next time which is what i'm going to do!

admin
08-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Closed