PDA

View Full Version : A couple for the frying pan!

Geezle
08-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Well, this was a small personal triumph. I don't know why, but it seems like the stupid little stocked trout always get the best of me. I've had more consistent success pulling pike out of the river than I have with these guys. Well for yesterday at least, I think I had 'em figured out.

The unfortunate thing is that I had to cut my fishing time there short because the way I was fishing (worm on a bait rig) was deep hooking them, and they all came up bleeding pretty bad. After bringing in 4 of them I quit and went to fish the river for a while.

Fried a couple up last night and they were pretty tasty...not nearly as muddy as I'd expected them to be this time of year.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/Phone%20pics/082110_134400.jpg

One question though...when is a trout too big to pan fry? The first one I fried up looked very done, but when I started pulling off the meat I noticed that in the back where it's thickest the meat still wasn't cooked all the way through, so back in the pan he went.

Sundancefisher
08-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, this was a small personal triumph. I don't know why, but it seems like the stupid little stocked trout always get the best of me. I've had more consistent success pulling pike out of the river than I have with these guys. Well for yesterday at least, I think I had 'em figured out.

The unfortunate thing is that I had to cut my fishing time there short because the way I was fishing (worm on a bait rig) was deep hooking them, and they all came up bleeding pretty bad. After bringing in 4 of them I quit and went to fish the river for a while.

Fried a couple up last night and they were pretty tasty...not nearly as muddy as I'd expected them to be this time of year.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/Phone%20pics/082110_134400.jpg

One question though...when is a trout too big to pan fry? The first one I fried up looked very done, but when I started pulling off the meat I noticed that in the back where it's thickest the meat still wasn't cooked all the way through, so back in the pan he went.

Try filleting them little guys and then soak the fillets in some kraft golden italian salad dressing. Really helps with the taste.

Geezle
08-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Try filleting them little guys and then soak the fillets in some kraft golden italian salad dressing. Really helps with the taste.

Thanks Sun, I still have 2 left in the fridge, so maybe I'll give that a shot tonight :)

How long should I be letting the fillets soak in the dressing? Like an hour or two?

Fishingnutter
08-22-2010, 03:10 PM

I've been doing the exact stocked trout thing with my Dad as of late; regarding the hook in the throat, our second time out we used bigger hooks that set on the lip not their throat. As for the cooking, use a cast iron frying pan, get it really hot with your butter and put the fish up against the rim/edge/wall of the pan, or cover for a literal minute. We caught our limit and took them home for panfry feast and they were very very yummy. The next time out we caught our limit then cooked them up at shore, even yummier. Next time, hook to pan.

great white whaler
08-23-2010, 10:31 PM
I like to clean mine up real nice, chopped up in 2 inch chunks,roll up in flour.cast iron frying pan,little butter an garlic,slow cook,,salt, pepper ,vinegar,like that one guy said, can't beat a fresh fish, shore fry,them there rainbows look like the perfect size,but chunked up.:):bad_boys_20::fishing::fishing: