PDA

View Full Version : Fishing/Camping ideas for Maligne?

Spidey
08-22-2010, 09:33 AM
We plan to do one last camping trip in mid to late Sept. to Jasper before retiring the tent trailer for the season. I have not been to Maligne before and have a couple questions.

1. What is a good campground nearby? We don't require services and prefer more treed/private sites.
2. Is it possible (safe) to drop a canoe and leave it overnight at Maligne? (the canoe travels on top of the tent trailer and I'd need to drop and leave it there before heading to the campsite.)

Thanks!

Yeti
08-24-2010, 07:32 PM
As far as i remember, there is no overnight camping allowed at Maligne Lake in Jasper. If you are in a canoe, you are allowed to travel some distance away from the lodge and camp on shore, but I am not sure if there is any designated campsites at the end of the lake. There is a large sign when on the road that states that everyone should be off the road by 11 pm. For campgrounds..try Snaring Campground on Highway 16 east of Jasper, or the other 2 large ones in town. There is also some good ones at Mt. Robson Provincial Park outside of the town. Either that or head down the Icefields Parkway to hit the camping ares there.

Rockyman
08-24-2010, 09:23 PM
1. No camping at Maligne Lake. I think the only campsite open after Labour Day is Whistlers (and maybe Wapiti?). Both are just past Jasper a few km south on the Icefields Parkway. I think Snaring is closed by then.

2. There are two designated camping areas on Maligne Lake but even the closest one will require a few hours paddle from the boat launch. You can only camp at one of these two designated sites.

3. I don't think there is a requirement to be off the Maligne Lake Road by 11 pm.

4. You are not supposed to leave your canoe overnight unattended at Maligne Lake. If you do, you run the risk of the wardens confiscating it.

5. Mid-September and later can be fun in Jasper with the elk in the rut. The bugling is really cool!

6. The fishing in Maligne might still be good. Check with the guys at On-line Sports in town.

Unregistered user
08-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Came back Saturday, the fire smoke was rough up there. Fishing slow. 65 k.m from Whistlers campground to Maligne, beautiful but slow for me. Ramp sucks saw some boats tied up on shore beside the rentals, did not ask if it was jiggy.