PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on this fish???

e40water12
08-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I am just wondering what kind of fish this is? I caught it in NSR yesterday.

thank you for youre help.

WayneChristie
08-23-2010, 07:33 AM
walleye. first time fishing?

Geezle
08-23-2010, 07:38 AM
Skinny walleye at that!

EdwardsZX
08-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Ha Ha Ha

gvelarde
08-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi, What is a NSR?

Guitarplayingfish
08-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi, What is a NSR?

lol. North Saskatchewan River. SSR = South Saskatchewan River

Braun
08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Actually this concerns me. you can be identifing a fish that common through your regulations. so have you read the regs? are you licenced? Are you keeping all the fish you catch?

Its cool if your new to fishing this area and this is definately the place to be if you want to learn alot about the water ways in alberta but before you go out there are definately things that you should know like how to identify a fish and what kind and size your are allowed to keep and what must be released.

Fisher_man#1
08-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Ya prob a walley but it might even be a sauger.
Here is some info.
The sauger (Sander canadensis) is a freshwater perciform fish of the family Percidae which resembles its close relative the walleye. Saugers, however, are usually smaller and will better tolerate waters of higher turbidity than the walleye. In many parts of their range, saugers are sympatric with walleyes. They may be distinguished from walleyes by the distinctly spotted dorsal fin, by the lack of a white splotch on the caudal fin, by the rough skin over their gill, and by their generally more brassy color, or darker (almost black) color in some regions. The average sauger in an angler's creel is 300 to 400 g (0.75 to 1 lbs) in weight but the world record was 8.1 kg (17 lbs, 12 ounces.) Saugers are more typical of rivers whereas walleyes are more common in lakes and reservoirs. The sauger is highly prized as a food fish.

Hybridization between saugers and walleyes is not unknown; the hybrids, referred to as saugeyes, exhibit traits of both species. Being intermediate in appearance between the two species, saugeyes are sometimes difficult to differentiate, but they generally carry the dark blotches characteristic of the sauger.

Cheers.

Fishin' Fool
08-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Actually this concerns me. you can be identifing a fish that common through your regulations. so have you read the regs? are you licenced? Are you keeping all the fish you catch?

Its cool if your new to fishing this area and this is definately the place to be if you want to learn alot about the water ways in alberta but before you go out there are definately things that you should know like how to identify a fish and what kind and size your are allowed to keep and what must be released.

Agreed. If the original poster isn't trolling us, they should definitely be educating themselves before hitting the water.

Fishin' Fool
08-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Ya prob a walley but it might even be a sauger.
Here is some info.
The sauger (Sander canadensis) is a freshwater perciform fish of the family Percidae which resembles its close relative the walleye. Saugers, however, are usually smaller and will better tolerate waters of higher turbidity than the walleye. In many parts of their range, saugers are sympatric with walleyes. They may be distinguished from walleyes by the distinctly spotted dorsal fin, by the lack of a white splotch on the caudal fin, by the rough skin over their gill, and by their generally more brassy color, or darker (almost black) color in some regions. The average sauger in an angler's creel is 300 to 400 g (0.75 to 1 lbs) in weight but the world record was 8.1 kg (17 lbs, 12 ounces.) Saugers are more typical of rivers whereas walleyes are more common in lakes and reservoirs. The sauger is highly prized as a food fish.

Hybridization between saugers and walleyes is not unknown; the hybrids, referred to as saugeyes, exhibit traits of both species. Being intermediate in appearance between the two species, saugeyes are sometimes difficult to differentiate, but they generally carry the dark blotches characteristic of the sauger.

Cheers.

Once you've seen NSR sauger and saugeye, you won't mistake them for anything else. I was with a rookie a few years ago when he caught his first sauger(he has caught a few wallies, so he knows what they look like). Even before he'd landed it he was asking "WTH is that?". The coloring is very distinctive.

Red Fisher
08-23-2010, 11:07 AM
I believe he is educating himself. He had the ba**** to come on here with a pic and ask. Better than some fools who just throw a line in the water and pull out fish with no knowledge or respect for the sport. Give the guy a break. We can't all be walking encyclopedia's. Some guys are new to Alta, or never had the benefit of a dad or fishing mentor to help them learn the ropes, and learn them properly.

That is a walleye in my opinion, but is pretty skinny. Might be a sauger.

Red Fisher
08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Saugeye, interesting. Just learned something new

Braun
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
I believe he is educating himself. He had the ba**** to come on here with a pic and ask. Better than some fools who just throw a line in the water and pull out fish with no knowledge or respect for the sport. Give the guy a break. We can't all be walking encyclopedia's. Some guys are new to Alta, or never had the benefit of a dad or fishing mentor to help them learn the ropes, and learn them properly.

That is a walleye in my opinion, but is pretty skinny. Might be a sauger.

i know what your saying and im not ragging on him but its just like odd that someone would go out catch something so common as a walleye and then come on to ask. its like someone posting a picture of a rainbow trout and asking what it is. a quick glance in the regs before or after should enable a person to identify a common fish like a walleye.

Jonny O
08-23-2010, 11:18 AM
It's not a sauger. saugers don't have the white spot on the bottom tip of their tail. No question it's a walleye.

nicemustang
08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
White on the tail fin = walleye. That's a common fish in AB. TROLL.

WayneChristie
08-23-2010, 05:55 PM

I wasnt being a smartazz, just curious. When you get your regulations there is a section in it with pictures of Alberta gamefish, should be the first thing you check out before you go fishing.

fishstix
08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
e40water12,
Welcome to the site. Anything you say can and will be used against you. Its too bad, everyone is a total expert here. Ask a simple question on this site and risk having your fingers broken. My guess is most of these guys dont even fish in the rivers and lakes, they just troll the ao site to throw out their expertise.
Really what difference would it make to braun if you caught a fish and didnt know what kind it was? Are you keeping all the fish you catch? Your post didnt lead me to assume that you do. It sounds more like an interrogation than a simple question to me. I guess its ok for braun to assume that you kept the fish. Hes running the show.
Its funny how a guy is big enough to pipe up about something so small and then his next post starts off with "im not ragging, but..." We dont need that here, but sadly it is.
Like i say, welcome to the site. Just ignore the lack of respect from the pros.

Fishstix!!

Braun
08-23-2010, 07:01 PM
e40water12,
Welcome to the site. Anything you say can and will be used against you. Its too bad, everyone is a total expert here. Ask a simple question on this site and risk having your fingers broken. My guess is most of these guys dont even fish in the rivers and lakes, they just troll the ao site to throw out their expertise.
Really what difference would it make to braun if you caught a fish and didnt know what kind it was? Are you keeping all the fish you catch? Your post didnt lead me to assume that you do. It sounds more like an interrogation than a simple question to me. I guess its ok for braun to assume that you kept the fish. Hes running the show.
Its funny how a guy is big enough to pipe up about something so small and then his next post starts off with "im not ragging, but..." We dont need that here, but sadly it is.

Fishstix!!

No way in any aspect in any post I have ever made did i proclaim that i am a pro. If you check my posts most of them are asking questions and other peoples opinions. i am most welcoming to new members of the board and offer up whatever advice i can give from the information that i have received on here or from my own experience. which in itself is limited. If i recall correctly i even believe i have asked some for some advice from you in the past fishstix. Generally i dont care if people keep everything they catch. The line of questioning were more of questions that popped into my head in regards to the regulations. I was not accusing him of keeping that fish and to be honest i do not fish the NSR so i dont know what the regulations are for keeping walleye in it. Walleye is a very common fish not only in alberta but in canada. I would understand if a person is confused between a sauger and a walleye. the first thing i think most new fishermen do before they head out to a water they have never fished before is to look at what fish if any is in there and what kind. And furthermore what these fish look like. All of said information is generally looked at in the regulations which you receive when you buy a licence.

fishstix
08-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Just sayin'

Braun
08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
sorry the impression that i and by the looks of it some other got is that this guy has never looked at the regulations which would beg anyone to wonder if he is even licenced. no licence = poaching = against the law

Calgaryguy1977
08-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Sorry fishstix but I don't remember braun attacking anyone. I think he was just concerned that the person caught a fairly common alberta fish and didn't know what it was which sparked other questions....did you keep the fish, are you licensed etc.

I know what you mean though fishstix as I have been attacked a few times too but I don't remember Braun ever doing it....lol. In fact, he is usually trying to be helpful as far as I recollect.

Fishin' Fool
08-23-2010, 07:20 PM
e40water12,

Fishstix!!

I can't speak for Braun, but I meant no disrespect. I don't see how suggesting someone be familiar with the regs BEFORE going fishing is disrespectful. Said REGs include pictures of Alberta game fish. If the pics aren't sufficient for proper identification, Google will help.

http://www.google.ca/images?q=walleye&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Uh1zTIbtL4TjnAf539HVDg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQsAQwAA&biw=1278&bih=592

Here's Alberta's fishing regulations if you need more help.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

FF

I've seen lots of noobs get attacked here, mostly unnecessarily, but I saw nothing rude or aggresive about B's post.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

fishstix
08-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Sorry fishstix but I don't remember braun attacking anyone. I think he was just concerned that the person caught a fairly common alberta fish and didn't know what it was which sparked other questions....did you keep the fish, are you licensed etc.

I know what you mean though fishstix as I have been attacked a few times too but I don't remember Braun ever doing it....lol. In fact, he is usually trying to be helpful as far as I recollect.
Read it again. dont reply.

Thanks,

Calgaryguy1977
08-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Read it again. dont reply.

Thanks,

I did read it....or did I? Maybe I used my "ESPN"
After reading it I didn't feel he was on the offensive. He did appear concerned though which I think alot of us were.

e40water12
08-23-2010, 08:05 PM
1.) like to say thanks for the people who have identified the fish for me.

2.) Also just like to say to the rest of the people for beening like smart ***** douches. I am asking asking a simple question of knowledge. Cause I am new to fishing in AB.

3.) I have a Valid fishing lic. Also follow the fishing regulations. And like to note I don't eat fish out of the NSR. Like the sport of fishing.

Thanks again to the great people on this site with good words of knowledge.

lukejamieson
08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
It's not a sauger. saugers don't have the white spot on the bottom tip of their tail. No question it's a walleye.

Fish don't have tails

salmonfan
08-23-2010, 08:25 PM

Give me a break. Enough of you clowns who try and pick anything and everything apart when someone asks a question. This forum should be about information sharing. Get a life.

Rockymtnx
08-23-2010, 08:28 PM
e40water12, that would be a walleye.
Sorry that I have to apologize for the rude comments made by others. It is no wonder that everyone is scared to ask a question of here or even for that matter make a post.

so have you read the regs? are you licenced? Are you keeping all the fish you catch?
A prime example of someone ready to jump to conclusions. e40water12, asked a simple question no reason to jump all over him or hier.

sorry the impression that i and by the looks of it some other got is that this guy has never looked at the regulations which would beg anyone to wonder if he is even licenced. no licence = poaching = against the law
Once again sounds like your jumping to conclusions. Your last six words are uncalled for.

TROLL.
Another person jumping to conclusions.

Comments like these will NOT BE TOLLERATED on AO.
Over the past few weeks I have heard so many comments as to why people refuse to post on AO. It's replies like these that turn people away. AO is a place where everyone should feel welcomed and be able to ask questions. Even if they seem silly too you.
This thread is now CLOSED.