PDA

View Full Version : Help: How to Setup a Fishing Rod?

gvelarde
08-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi, Nice forum and great people!
I'm used to fish from the beach back home in south America a lot every weekend and now will like to try some luck at these nice rivers and lakes, however I'm very confuse on the way how to set up the fishing rod (I'm not talking fly fishing, just regular rod) Back there we use led weights so the line can go further and deep, but here when fishing trout that does not seems to be an issue... what is the best setup? Thank!

Fishin' Fool
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Maybe a little more info on where and for what you are fishing would help.

If you are looking for trout, most streams don't allow bait fishing. Small spinners(Panther Martin is my preference) are what I've had most luck on.

If you are fishing in a lake where bait is allowed, a pickerel rig type setup with worms or Powerbait work well, or you could hang the bait under a bobber.

Also, the search function on this Forum should give you lots of hints. tips, and tricks.

Good luck,

FF

gvelarde
08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Maybe a little more info on where and for what you are fishing would help.

If you are looking for trout, most streams don't allow bait fishing. Small spinners(Panther Martin is my preference) are what I've had most luck on.

If you are fishing in a lake where bait is allowed, a pickerel rig type setup with worms or Powerbait work well, or you could hang the bait under a bobber.

Also, the search function on this Forum should give you lots of hints. tips, and tricks.

Good luck,

FF
Thanks for your answer FF, I was thinking river fishing, what about the use of weight? or just the lure is enought? thanks again.

Fishin' Fool
08-23-2010, 11:55 AM
If you are looking to hit the Bow or one of the other trout rivers, there are many people far more knowledgeable than me. I hope one or more of them will help.

If you are casting lures, you probably won't need extra weight. If you are bait fishing, use the smallest possible weight that will still hold the bottom in the current.

FF

Scott N
08-23-2010, 12:04 PM
While I fly fish almost all the time now, when I do use a spinning rod I just tie a ball bearing swivel on and use a spoon, spinner, or plug. The weight of the lure is enough for almost all of the fishing I do.

Braun
08-23-2010, 12:44 PM
it depends what water and lure you use.

Faster waters (like the bow river):
if you use small spinners you definately need to use a weight. i typically use a larger sized split shot about 10 inches up from the spinner. this is primarily for castability. small spinners with no weight generally will only cast out about 10 feet and in a big fast river, 10 feet doesnt do you much good. However if you are useing heavier lures like rapalas, spoons or even larger sized spinners then no weight is required as the lure itself is heavy enough to cast.

Slower rivers and creeks (like the elbow or the sheep)
Its hard to use any size of weight because the waters are slower and alot shallower. you may need to put a tiny tiny weight on to give your small spinners more castability. I would also avoid using heavier lures like spoons and sinking rapalas. stick to the floating ones.

You also have to be mindfull of what the weeds in the river are doing. This time of year the bow south of calgary can start to get really weedy so you may want to be casting lures with less weight or using smaller weights.

gvelarde
08-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Braun, I guess Trouts are not usually deep right? when casting with spinners do you leave the line in the water for a few minutes or bring it to you slowly after each cast? thanks

Graffy91
08-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Well i havent been trout fishing in years, but when i bait fish, trolling, i use bottom bouncers, with a spinner on the end, and either a powerbait berkley worm, or a real night crawler. As for lure fishing, no extra weight is needed, depending on depth. Pike fishing is a really good way to get a feel of lure fishing, you end up understanding what they like most. I usually try the most reflective lures, because the fish see the reflection, and instinct is to bite.

Rapalas are also a fishermans friend. They rattle in the water, and fish feel/hear it, and swim towards it. Rapalas have never turned me down, they even work for Walleye. In lakes that is, ive only been fishing to the NSR once, and didnt have luck when i was little. If you got anymore questions just ask.

gvelarde
08-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Graffy91, bottom bouncers were new to me, I just goggle and they look interesting, for sure will try them! What do you mean with NSR??

WayneChristie
08-23-2010, 05:51 PM
If you are going to fish the Bow for trout, try a spinning rod and reel, with around 8 pound mono line and for trout, spinners, or small spoons. Foxee Minnowspins that look like trout work great, so do many of the regular spinners like Panther Martins. just cast them at an angle upstream so they sink as you reel them in. Dont forget to flatten your barbs or you will get a fine. You can always use a teardrop shaped bobber with a fly if they are rising a lot too.

WayneChristie
08-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Graffy91, bottom bouncers were new to me, I just goggle and they look interesting, for sure will try them! What do you mean with NSR??

if you are fishing in the river forget bottom bouncers, unless you are rich, you will lose them all the time in the rocks.

Braun
08-23-2010, 06:11 PM
trout can be deep. it depends on the water. and i definitely do not leave my spinners in the water for a few minutes. if i did that my lure would end up in one of two places: on the river bottom or on the river bank. For obvious reasons spinners are called spinners because they spin while your retrieving your lure. I will definitely let my spinners sink for a few seconds depending on how much weight is on there and how deep the river is. Then i retrieve relatively slowly and even slower depending on the current. If I am retrieving against the current i will slow my retrieval right down. there is a certain speed you want the spinner to be spinning. too fast and it wont attract fish and probably will just skim the top of the water. too slow it wont spin. it takes some practice but you will find a comfortable medium for you.

graffy i believe you are talking about lake fishing. you probably dont "troll" in a river. be careful with experimenting with bottom bouncers in the river. i typically only bottom bounce for whitefish in rivers otherwise i save it for lakes. rivers are difficult because you snag alot and if the river is weedy you will only be snagging or hauling weeds and not fish. i wouldnt really recommend bottom bouncing for trout in a river unless you got deep pockets. but if you want a crash course in bottom bouncing for whitefish in a river then i suggest you look up a thread i made called " whitefish a myth in the bow" back when i had trouble catching them. tons of info about it there.

Shiny lures dont always work. It depends on what your fishing. Pike i find to be rather stupid sometimes because they can take absolutely anything in any size and they definitely do like shiny lures. Trout however will take a shiny lure but i would put my money on a more natural lure(especially rapalas). trout can be extremely picky and depending on several variables could take one lure one day and completely avoid it the next.

NSR= North Saskatchewan River (edmonton area)
SSR= South Saskatchewan River (medicine hat area)

Geezle
08-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi, Nice forum and great people!
I'm used to fish from the beach back home in south America a lot every weekend and now will like to try some luck at these nice rivers and lakes, however I'm very confuse on the way how to set up the fishing rod (I'm not talking fly fishing, just regular rod) Back there we use led weights so the line can go further and deep, but here when fishing trout that does not seems to be an issue... what is the best setup? Thank!

Where do you live? If you're in the Edmonton area I might be able to give you a hand getting your stuff sorted out :wave:

gvelarde
08-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Braun, thanks for the explanation about slow and fast rivers, I found that very useful! Last night went to the Bow to try some luck but got nothing, however I saw twice trout jumping just in front of me...
What I don't get is that when casting, it does not really go to far, I'll say 10-15 feet and due the stream in just matter of seconds my lure is very close to the shore (2-3feet) is that normal? I'm missing something? I dont think trout will be so close to the river shore right?

Geezle, Appreciate however Im in South Calgary =(

Braun
08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
actually trout can be very very close to shore. as little as a foot an a half. i would make the assumption that you are using spinners. use a weight with a spinner in the bow. Alot of people use different techniques with spinners but what i do is cast straight out infront of me giving a second or two to let it sink. at that point the current hast taken it to about a 45 degree angre from me and thats when i start retreival. quicker at first then slower as the curret puts more preasure on the lure. you will get a feel for it. this can produce chasers right up to the point where you take the lure out of the water to recast. i like it cause it works the water in a sweaping arc from the deeper quicker current towards the shore. and then up along the shore where trout probably find alot of their bait fish and bugs because the water will be better able to hold bugs and slightly slower to harbor baitfish

cover
08-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Lots of good advice .... try a spoon for the Bow.. get a few different sizes and with a spap swivel you can change sizes according to the water current ie deep and fast , deep and slow ect. Try casting quartering upstream and sink a bit ... you want to feel it bouncing on the rocks a couple of times and then reel in as fast as you can keeping your rod tip low... good luck and dont forget to pinch the barbs on your hooks