PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon battle on the NSR

lone wolf
08-23-2010, 09:34 PM
First & foremost, apologies since this took place on the NSR north of Saskatoon, by the Borden bridge. Thought I would share since it involves a fun camping weekend with the kids and an epic battle bewteen an 11 year old and a sturgeon. Took the kids down to a spot on the river on Saturday afternoon by the campground. Set up the "light rod" for the kids using a simple P-rig with minnows. Dad was busy setting up the heavy rod to target sturgeon when #1 son says "Dad, I got a bite". Sure enough the rod tip is bouncing so I tell him to grab the rod. Reply is "It's stuck". Then it starts to move LOL. Doesn't think it is all that big until the fish realizes it is hooked and takes off for the far bank. We did not see it for a good 10 minutes, and dad has to spell off the kid with very sore arms. Touch & go for a while but we finally managed to partially beach the fish, pop the hook, snap a quick photo and set her free.

Not a bad catch on 8lb mono, a pickerel rig/minnow and a light spinning rod :sHa_shakeshout:. The kids will remember this trip for a while !!

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/tanforster/Sturgeon/NSRsturgeon.jpg

WayneChristie
08-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Way to go, thats a lifetime memory for sure. Just goes to show tackle is only part of it, a whole lotta luck goes a long way! Nice fish and great story.

Rockymtnx
08-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Congrats on your sturgeon!

walleyechaser
08-24-2010, 01:12 AM
congratulations on a great sturgeon

Geezle
08-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Nice work! :sHa_shakeshout:

mooseknuckle
08-24-2010, 09:16 AM
That's awesome!!! If your a size 12 boot that fish is easy 50"!! Well that's a guess anyways. Kid must have been pretty excited.... Maybe not as excited as dad. Lol

lone wolf
08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
That's awesome!!! If your a size 12 boot that fish is easy 50"!! Well that's a guess anyways. Kid must have been pretty excited.... Maybe not as excited as dad. Lol

Yep - we were all pretty pumped.

Unfortunately the feet are quite a bit smaller than 12's :sad0147:

Still a decent fish though :character0053: