PDA

View Full Version : North or South Ram Rivers

greenteal
08-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Never fish the Ram Rivers and would like some information. Where are the access areas and is it possible to mountain bike up these rivers ? Can any one help ?

mikeym
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
either river would be fairly easy to mountain bike on (of course this depends on how good of a biker you are). the North Ram would be the easier of the two as it has better access points and lots of trails that follow the river. there is a road that heads upstream from the Forestry Trunk road. it crosses the river about 2 - 3 k up from the FTR so not many people venture farther than that. it goes quite a ways upstream and crosses the river 2 or 3 more times. suppose to be some decent fishing up there.

also on the same road it heads downstream (called North Fork road). it follows the river about 10 - 20 k downstream and then veers away from the river. at this bend there is a quad trail that heads downstream quite a ways also. you can bike right to the forks of the N and S ram also along this trail. lots of people bike and camp down this trail.

on the South Ram, not sure about downstream from the FTR as it mostly runs thru a canyon after the falls. don't know if there is any trails down that way that are bike freindly let alone hiker friendly. if you take the Hummingbird rd upstream of the FTR, this road follows the S Ram to where it and the Hummingbird join. there is a quad trail from the horse staging area that heads upstream on the S Ram. not sure how far it goes, but i've heard quite a ways upstream and leads to a few of the tribs that are suppose to be pretty decent fishing also.

hope this helps

rgds
Mike

greenteal
08-25-2010, 08:27 AM
I know the south Alberta rivers and streams like the back of my hand but never fished the ftr in that area. Your help is appreciated.

Treefarmer
08-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Never fish the Ram Rivers and would like some information. Where are the access areas and is it possible to mountain bike up these rivers ? Can any one help ?

My experience some years ago was that the quad traffic made the cutlines pretty tough for both hikers and bikers. Both rivers are beautiful. As is usual in this country, the furhter back you get, the less signs of people.

The canyon downstream from the falls is passable if the water isn't high. However you will have to either get wet, or do some risky scrambling. Good leg breaker country. I strongly suggest that you don't do the canyon alone. Keep your head screwed on tight, and don't do anything you can't undo.

(Or am I getting it mixed up with the canyon below Crescent falls... Hmm. Advice worth what you just paid for it.)