PDA

View Full Version : Quad winch

chuck0039
10-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Does anybody know the best place in Edmonton to buy a quad winch? Just got my quad back from getting yearly check up and my winch needs to be replace. They guy i have to do the service told me that it is easy to change my self and will save some cash. had a 2500lbs warn winch. debating on changing to 3000lbs although not sure??

elnino54
10-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Whats wrong with your existing winch ? Is it your contactor maybe ???

chuck0039
10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
it works when there is no load on, but when it has resistance it just grinds and the winch cable spot retrieving. my mechanic looked at it and said that the gears are worn down or somthing.

Drewski Canuck
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Try the 2500 pd Champion Winch at either Costco or Crappy Tire. Actually a pretty good little winch! HOWEVER, get yourself a good quality 2.5 ton Come Along, and put it on the back rack. I have sunk a bike to the racks, flooded the winch, which I couldn't get at anyway, and have been successful pulling backward with the Come Along. Unfortunately, I had a cheap Come Along, and the second hole I dropped into twisted the thing and left me walking. Get a good Come Along, throw in about 75 feet of 1/2 inch rope or better yet cable, and you will be fine.

Drewski

xsniper
10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Take your winch apart and see what is wrong with it, Acklands Granger sells parts for Warn winches at very reasonable prices. They are very easy to repair.

chuck0039
10-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I just got to work and read what i had written down. I guess the gears have spun out???? I will talk to my mechanic again and see about aklands and getting parts. thanxs Xsniper.

Drewski i always carry a come along and extra tow straps saved my bacon a few times. For some reason every now and then i think my bike is unstoppable and i always find out the hard way that it's not

Huntnut
10-02-2007, 08:53 AM
You probably stripped out the end caps-they are a hard plastic and are designed to do this instead of damaging the winch. You can buy new end caps for around $50. It is probably the cap where the freespool lever is.