PDA

View Full Version : Goat Pond/Spray Lakes

Yeti
08-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi all.. a friend of mine wants to do some fishing with me this weekend. He has some medical probs and cant stand for long, so he needs to be able to sit due to no balance. I was thinking of going up to Goat Pond in front of the Spray Lakes...right by the waterside so no walking for him is necessary which is good, and hopefully no big crowds which we both hate. How is the fishing from the shore line there? Any ideas on what kind of lures to use? Thanks for any help!!

nevercatchmuch
08-27-2010, 06:34 PM
not sure about goat, but if you took him to the boat launch at spray there is a short walk and lots of good space for chairs. smelts on pickeral rigs.

Yeti
08-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the help! I'll see if he can make it down the ramp that far.

Fishingnutter
08-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the help! I'll see if he can make it down the ramp that far.

i caught about 20 beaut sized rockies, from shore, on #16 royal coachman, with wings clipped in half, 4' below the bobber at 30 to 40 feet from shore, casting then letting the waves and wind do the rest. a fellow further down caught a 2 pound lake trout with a smelt. it was 27 yesterday and snowing for a bit this morning. good luck. i was on spray not goat.

nevercatchmuch
08-28-2010, 11:13 AM
I had lots of gentle bites on prince nymps too but couldn't catch them quick enough to land any.

Dgirl
08-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Okay resurrecting an old thread because I DID do a search.
What am I doing wrong?

Loads of what I presume are whitefish rising below Goat (the canal). I was getting hits on a little bumblebee fly under a clear bobber (on spin gear) in the late evening. Can not for the life of me set the hook fast enough with these whites. Is my hook too big it looks size 10/12. Never targeted whites before.

BeeGuy
08-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Okay resurrecting an old thread because I DID do a search.
What am I doing wrong?

Loads of what I presume are whitefish rising below Goat (the canal). I was getting hits on a little bumblebee fly under a clear bobber (on spin gear) in the late evening. Can not for the life of me set the hook fast enough with these whites. Is my hook too big it looks size 10/12. Never targeted whites before.

Maybe a bit on the big size.

I use a 14 for the bigger ones but will use 16 and 18 without hesitation.

A 14 keeps some of the smaller ones off if you're getting into them a lot.

Try a boatman or a small beadheaded anything.