PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Elbow??

Kawibunga
08-26-2010, 08:07 AM
So We're camping out at McLean Creek this weekend (all though the weather looks ugly!) and was wondering about doing some fishing in the elbow river across the road. My goal is simple. Catch at least one fish with my 4 and 6 year old boys. We played around in McLean Pond last time with no luck, but it was in the middle of the day and I wasn't using bait, just the standard Mepps and Panther Martin spinners. (I spin cast only) I've also tried Champion Lake over the years in the South end of McLean Creek with out much success so don't think I'll take them there.

So any advice on fishing the elbow or some other suggestion within a 20 minute drive from there? My guess is the Elbow sees too much fishing pressure right there but who knows....

Thanks

horton213
08-26-2010, 09:55 AM
not sure about the elbow.. but the mclean pond is not bad after dinner.. try putting a bobber above your panther marter that worked for me last time... you can cast way farther..

CDone
08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Mclean Pond, fishes well all day, try a bobber with a wet fly/nymph about 8 to 10 inches below. Lots of mayflies and midges coming off so small phesant tail nymphs size 16 and down were working fine, fish were working about 30 feet out from shore.

Allen Bill still has a few fish left in it and they are 'bait' focused, so powerbait under a float works well.

The Elbow is a tough one as populations just aren't what they used to be.

Colin

Kawibunga
08-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks Guys!

I'll stick to the pond then and modify my technique a bit as suggested. The boys will be pretty excited if we actually catch one. My oldest can just sit there and cast for hours..........

Christofficer
08-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Lots of brookies. Use panther martins, you'll either catch brookies or cutts that far up, the odd bull maybe too. The farther down you go, the brown trout start popping up.

WayneChristie
08-27-2010, 07:01 AM
I had lots of luck on the Elbow over the years, the fish really like white panther martins, fish around the day use area at Bragg Creek Provincial park, just walk and cast into the deeper runs, there is quite an assortment of trout in there plus whites