PDA

View Full Version : Campgrounds & Launches at Lesser Slave

Fixer
08-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Hello all, I'm fairly new to this site as a member. Been lurking for a while though, and I've found many great people are willing to share of their experience. I'm heading out Lesser Slave for the September long weekend, and am asking for info about campsites and launches around the south side of the east bowl. Was at Roland on the River in June, but would like to be at a marina with a bit deeper water. What campgrounds/launches/marinas do you like, and why?

Thanks in advance,
Fixer

Shmag
08-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Really not too much to choose from, if you were at Rolands then there is the municipal launch a bit downstream from there, but you would be farther from the lake. Then there is Canyon Creek...pretty good launch, a bit shallow also coming out of there and that is it for the east basin.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Fixer
08-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks Shmag, mabye after a while I'll have something worth passing on as well! So.... Canyon Creek.......a bit shallow or BAAAD shallow? As bad as @ Rolands? I have an 18 ft fibreglass inboard. Anyone know what the camping is like there? We're tenting. Might have to go further west to Spruce Point if it's not too late to reserve a spot.

Walleye King
08-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey Fixer, Lots of camping spots at Spruce Point Park, but the marina there is very shallow as well . 1-2 ft in places. Travel about 10 km west into Faust and the marina there is great. Shallowest water is 3.5 ft. I've been using this marina all summer with my 17ft fiberglass boat and i dont have a scratch on my new prop. $8 a night to moor your boat in the marina with very good security in place. There is a few camping spots right at the marina with tables and fire pits but no power.About 2 minutes away from the marina is a campground called Reel In and Resort, they have full services there. Phone # for the Reel Inn is 780 355-2727 . Very good walleye fishing within 10km of the marina. I will be there on the long weekend as well. Hope this info helps. Walleye King.............

Shmag
08-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks Shmag, mabye after a while I'll have something worth passing on as well! So.... Canyon Creek.......a bit shallow or BAAAD shallow? As bad as @ Rolands? I have an 18 ft fibreglass inboard. Anyone know what the camping is like there? We're tenting. Might have to go further west to Spruce Point if it's not too late to reserve a spot.

No its not a BAAAD shallow, the launch is right inside of a marina so its always calm in there and for the most part deep enough,(could also rent a marina stall to leave your boat in overnight). The shallow part is when you are just coming out of the marina and turning onto the main lake area, its a couple feet deep just for a 100yrds at the most. Its a very small campsite, so it may be loud in a tent at night time as it's pretty close to the main road going to the bar,lol...If interested i think they would be listed under the Canyon Creek Harbour Assoc. And like walleye king said, the spruce point near kinuso is pretty nice

Crusty
08-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Call, REEL IN, Wally is the owner/operator & guide, tackle store and cafe too. Quiet also.

Fixer
08-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I want to thank everyone for the very good info. I called Wally at Reel In & reserved a tenting spot and a berth for the boat (it's just a bit further west than I'd anticipated going, no big deal). Good fellow to talk to, very helpful. Now we'll hope for good weather and FISH! Just a final note. The folks that run Roland are really good, the fishing in that area was very good too. No compaints about that at all, just found it too shallow there to get out to the lake in my boat easily, even though they've dredged in places. Had to be very careful. Hope for a bunch of snow thaw next spring (several springs?) to help bring the water up.

sunnyvalesmostwanted
08-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Call, REEL IN, Wally is the owner/operator & guide, tackle store and cafe too. Quiet also.

LOL... GREAT SPOT! I love going there also..........nice and quiet, with exception being the 1 am train that comes screaming right thru the campground every night.