PDA

View Full Version : Jig Setup For Walleye

trapshooter
08-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey Guys,
I always here you guys talking about a jig with a minnow for walleye and pike.
How do you set that up with your rod?
Thanks A Billion

sheephunter
08-26-2010, 01:47 PM
You just basically tie the jig on and hook the minnow through the head.....not much to it.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/sheephunterab/DSC_0099-1.jpg

tacklerunner
08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=sheephunter;664119]You just basically tie the jig on and hook the minnow through the head.....not much to it.

Deano85
08-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Also use the lightest weight jig you can get away with.

trapshooter
08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks Guys
When you cast out do you leave it there or do you bring it in or what?

sheephunter
08-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Usually jig it vertically or cast and slowly hop back. Can also be fished quite effectively under a slip bobber and can also be slowlt trolled. Pretty versatile lure but just sitting on the bottom isn't really that effective.

Deano85
08-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Let it hit the bottom and reel it up a little say a foot. I like to give the bait subtle twitches, too much movement is unnatural imo. Walleye dont hit hard so if u feel the jig do anything abnormal set the hook. I also like using a slip bobber.

Krisrf
08-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Don't be afraid to change it up if its not working. Play around with the jig head colour, size, and style. Sometimes lots of movement in jigging works great while other times you can just let the jig sit on the bottom of the lake with little to know movement. My starting point is usually a 1/8 oz white with red eye jig head though will vary that depending on clarity and depth. I've also used rubber bodies on a jig head and tip the whole thing with a minnow. Don't be afraid to play around with it and ideally if you have a few people together all try different things until you start to isolate what is producing the most. That's just my two bits...

Kris

WayneChristie
08-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Ive been using one in the river the last few days, seems to do ok just sitting on the bottom, since there are too many weeds to jig it or retrieve it. Just make sure you can use minnows where you are, Im at the Lower Bow so its ok for me.

Fisher_man#1
08-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Thanks Guys
When you cast out do you leave it there or do you bring it in or what?

If you are fishing from a boat you basically jig it vertically up an down about a foot off bottem. When casting from shore you cast out and wait for it to sink near bottem and then bring it in, in a series of short jerks and taps. Walleye usually like a slower retreave with less jerks than pike. There are many different jig types on the market a basic currly tail jig will do fine for most situations, for colour I myself like chartaruse, yellow and black.
have a nice time.

cheers.

trapshooter
08-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Does this work for pike too or just walleye?

fish-man
08-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Does this work for pike too or just walleye?

Works great for pike... but if you don't use a wire leader they will bite off some of your jigs.

I also have had lots of sucess just letting it sit there.

clarki
08-27-2010, 04:38 AM
dragging the jig along bottom VERY slowly can also be deadly. dont bounce it or jig it at all just drag it, sometimes this is the only way they will take it. I also like to put the hook into the mouth then out the gill then turn it back and through about half way down the body of the minnow. I find this way gets the hook further down the body of the minnow which increases hook set chances.

M

soggysocks
08-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Damn't now I just want to go fishing. Been awhile I since I went jigging for walleye.

nicemustang
08-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Good advice here. Jiggin is my favorite method of fishing for eyes. To summarize.

1. Directly below the boat, 6" off the bottom, jig up, let fall, hold, bounce off bottom, hold, repeat.
2. Cast out and let sit on bottom. Keep line tight.
3. Cast out and slowly draw back.
4. Cast out and slowly lift and "pop" or "hop" jig back to boat.

My fav is #1.

trapshooter
08-27-2010, 11:23 AM
dragging the jig along bottom VERY slowly can also be deadly. dont bounce it or jig it at all just drag it, sometimes this is the only way they will take it. I also like to put the hook into the mouth then out the gill then turn it back and through about half way down the body of the minnow. I find this way gets the hook further down the body of the minnow which increases hook set chances.

M What do you mean drag it in very slowly? Like real it in very slowly or what?

nicemustang
08-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Drag means drag, like your coat is dragging! Drag in it slowly on the bottom, slowly means depending on depth and the weight you are using depends on how slow that it will stay on the bottom.

trapshooter
08-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Drag means drag, like your coat is dragging! Drag in it slowly on the bottom, slowly means depending on depth and the weight you are using depends on how slow that it will stay on the bottom.

Sorry I am asking all these questions, I am new at pike and walleye fishing.
What does coat hanger dragging mean?

thefisher
08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
i enjoy using jig heads with berkley gulp alive black shad minnows. They last a long time and work super good. I find walleye of any size go for my 1/4 ounce jig heads with my bait. I also catch alot of little pike using the jigging method. I just fish from shore. Cast out, let it sink and jig it back to shore slowly.

nicemustang
08-27-2010, 01:04 PM

It what context? Please elaborate.

chuck0039
08-27-2010, 01:07 PM
If you are using the jig head and minnow like the picture above shows, take small pcs of old twisty tails and put it on the hook tight to the minnow. This will prevent the minnow from falling off your hook. I have also used the berkley eggs in a jar to hook on the end of the hook to keep the bait on.

trapshooter
08-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Drag means drag, like your coat is dragging!Drag in it slowly on the bottom, slowly means depending on depth and the weight you are using depends on how slow that it will stay on the bottom.

nicemustang
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Wow really??? You asked...what does drag slowly mean. I was trying to describe what drag and slowly means.....english not so good or do i need to explain more?

soggysocks
08-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow really??? You asked...what does drag slowly mean. I was trying to describe what drag and slowly means.....english not so good or do i need to explain more?

lol, I can fill in for this one. Cast out and allow the line to sink to the bottom, reel in nice and slow so the line has constant contact with the ground. If you feel rock give it a little rod twitch up to get over it without snagging. or maybe that rock was a fish so set the hook!

You can even play with the retrieve if its not catching. Trying dragging the line then, twitch, twitch, twitch! Pause...

I watch the fish in my brothers aquarium at times and that's what I try to mimic is that behavior.

trapshooter
08-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks