PDA

View Full Version : eating fish before/through spawning season

Braun
08-26-2010, 03:40 PM
good / bad? besides the fact it may gross some people out. I am typically of the opinion to not take fish when they are spawning but like does taste change? is it safe?

Sundancefisher
08-26-2010, 04:07 PM
good / bad? besides the fact it may gross some people out. I am typically of the opinion to not take fish when they are spawning but like does taste change? is it safe?

If you are species specific it helps. Personally perch taste fine from our lake during spawning season. However I find trout turn really mushy as does pike, salmon etc.

I believe you will find that most species area actually protected during their main spawning migration and therefore you are likely unable to retain. The main exception would be in stocked pothole lakes where the trout are diploid. When they turn black with spawning color changes their meat is definitely affected. If harvesting I would do so outside that time or only take trout whose belly is not grayish in color and or dropping eggs.

In a nutshell on the conservation side of things...in a native population...killing spawning fish is the fastest way to the destruction of a fishery as you can get. The worst offending fishery to that regard right now is mountain whitefish.

Sun

aulrich
08-26-2010, 04:12 PM
/smart*****mode

Is it safe

Yes if you wear protection.

/smart*****modeoff

A solid argument could be made to closing during spawn season since fish are concentrated and easier to target.

I have never notice a taste difference with the fish I have caught and eaten but I would imagine that could be a possibility.

Gross? I don't understand that one guts are not too much grosser than guts and egg or sperm.

Braun
08-26-2010, 07:42 PM
/smart*****mode

Is it safe

Yes if you wear protection.

/smart*****modeoff

A solid argument could be made to closing during spawn season since fish are concentrated and easier to target.

I have never notice a taste difference with the fish I have caught and eaten but I would imagine that could be a possibility.

Gross? I don't understand that one guts are not too much grosser than guts and egg or sperm.

its not gross to me but im sure to some and especially some women could say something around the lines of....."ewww those fish have been swimming through and have been breathing sperm!!"

back to the point of the post. I was just curious and am of the same opinion that fisheries should be closed during the spawning season and personally will stay away from those fish through that season. Today i probably caught my last 2 whites as their spawn should be coming up in the next few weeks(correct me if i am wrong). but i just figured it was a good conversation peice. And also an interesting side fact to note. I would assume that most trout would have a huge difference to them in regards of taste as their bodys go through so much change but i was curious if any of those changes could affect the "safe value" of the fish. like you never know cause they are producing different hormones and if any of those hormones may "taint" the fish during spawning.

ps. i would expect you (sundance) to comment on this one.