PDA

View Full Version : Walleye bait?

WayneChristie
08-26-2010, 08:43 PM
I hear these things are great for walleye bait?
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/Rolling_Hillbilly/DSCF0424.jpg

whitetail Junkie
08-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I hear these things are great for walleye bait?
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z440/Rolling_Hillbilly/DSCF0424.jpg

Not at 40 mile Lake.

calgarygringo
08-26-2010, 09:58 PM
When I grew up many years ago in Manitoba we used to use frogs for Walleyes, Pike, Bass, Drum and I think there mat be others. The bigger ones used to love to grab on to frogs. Haven't seen too many around these parts to go out and catch a box full and have some fun. May want to double check the regs as it may fall into a special category or bait? If they are legal here I would not hesitate to use them if you have access to them. Try them in your river fishing as well. That sounds like a great place to hook onto a monster.

Gary K
08-26-2010, 10:12 PM
When I grew up many years ago in Manitoba we used to use frogs for Walleyes, Pike, Bass, Drum and I think there mat be others. The bigger ones used to love to grab on to frogs. Haven't seen too many around these parts to go out and catch a box full and have some fun. May want to double check the regs as it may fall into a special category or bait? If they are legal here I would not hesitate to use them if you have access to them. Try them in your river fishing as well. That sounds like a great place to hook onto a monster.

I also grew up in MB and used frogs all the time for walleye and pike. They sell frog harness' for those kittle buggers. I have not seen em on a shelf for a while but it more or less holds the frogs in place and drags a treble. There is nophill point In the frog itself. Worked pretty good for them pike. Walleye seemed kinda weary about the "bulky" harness I think.

pikergolf
08-26-2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversityStewardship/WildSpecies/Amphibians/Frogs/NorthernLeopardFrog.aspx

It's clasified as a spieces at risk so I would look into that a little more before I used it as bait?

nicemustang
08-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Frogs are killer bait, however banned in SK these days, used to use them exclusively as a kid. Honestly never thought about using them in AB since I figured it would be the same. Checking the regs, it says nothing about frogs.....I have to call FnW.

WayneChristie
08-27-2010, 07:52 PM
NM I wouldnt use them even if they were legal, just seeing what people had to say about the rumour. Actually came across 2 more today at the same spot, I report the sightings to the researcher who keeps tabs on them since they are pretty scarce nowadays. One of the few known breeding sites for them is up the river a bit from me around Bow City.

gramps73
08-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Not sure but wouldn't they fall under the use of live bait..

WayneChristie
08-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Not sure but wouldn't they fall under the use of live bait..

hmm, like worms and leeches and maggots? ;)

WayneChristie
08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
just refreshed my old memory, its only live baitfish that are prohibited from what I read.

gramps73
08-27-2010, 08:04 PM
hmm, like worms and leeches and maggots? ;)

Thats what I was talking about, nothing wrong with using them for bait.

WayneChristie
08-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Thats what I was talking about, nothing wrong with using them for bait.

been a long week, I even confuse myself :)

gramps73
08-27-2010, 08:11 PM
been a long week, I even confuse myself :)

I must say that I don't think i would use then for bait..

bushnell
08-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Personally I would not use them for bait,as with alot of amphibians they are in declining numbers. So why kill them for a liitle bait,when you have other choices. Plus with them being a spieces at risk I don't think that they would be legal bait.