PDA

View Full Version : Pike

trapshooter
08-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Do pike bite on a jig with a minnow, like walleye do?

DANOMAN
08-27-2010, 04:15 AM
Traps pike will bite a jig and minnow the bigger the meat the bigger the fish!:bad_boys_20:

Chris84
08-27-2010, 06:23 AM
While this may not be the most conventional method for pike, they will hit just about anything. Pike are territorial, if you have already located them and throw a jig in front of them(especially one with a minnow) they will hit it.

I was drifting in a cove this past weekend and the pike were staying a bit deeper so I threw on a bright orange jig with a chartreuse head (no minnow), bounced it off the bottom and the pike were all over it. IMO I wouldn't use a jig with a minnow if you haven't located them yet.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Geezle
08-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Pike will bite anything that moves! :lol:

Freedom55
08-27-2010, 09:09 AM
I loose a lot of jigs that way. Pike just bite them off and I get so choked at loosing another 35 cent jig head and plastic bait.:rolleye2:
Lately I have been considering a short leader of 40# fluorocarbon. The steel leaders are just too visible for finicky walleye and Seaguar promises that 25-40# leaders of their material will stop this problem.
On the other hand, I have had small walleye chase a jig and plastic minnow to the surface and bite me off. Like the pike I caught yesterday in Hitchcock Bay. The darn thing took my jig and grub but did not know it was hooked. It swam to the surface about 40' away and just like that it bite off the jig. I could see the darn thing languishing on the top of the water when all of a sudden it realized it had this ugly piercing on his lip and launched itself. Straight up about this much and then gone. With my jig. Several casts later with a spoon I had to admit that Esox had left the building. With my 35 cent jig and a Mister Twister curly tail grub.:rolleye2: Good thing I have a tray of about 200 jigs in various weights and colors. Plus a pouch of plastics that never go rotten in the container, unlike leeches.
But that is jigging.
Here is another story about jig fishing. As i was finishing up yesterday,I decided to drift into the harbor on the breeze and drag a jig along the bottom as far as the launch. And didn't I latch onto a 3# rainbow that pretended it was a walleye until it saw the boat! Total score for the morning: 2 kg of rainbow filets, two nice walleye filets and two nicer sauger filets (one trout on a trolled crankbait)

Chris84
08-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Pike will bite anything that moves! :lol:

and some things that don't!!!!:)

sheephunter
08-27-2010, 10:10 AM

Yup but quite often they don't give it back...;)

TexasTornado
08-27-2010, 01:54 PM

You could tie a phone book onto steel cable and drag it around the lake and you might catch a pike.

fish-man
08-27-2010, 02:17 PM
When the pike aren't particularly active, a minnow (or smelt or herring) on a jig (or plain hook) is one of the best ways of catching them.

WayneChristie
08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I actually saw baitfisher83 catch a pike on a jig and minnow last winter so they HAVE to work :sHa_sarcasticlol:

baitfisher83
08-27-2010, 08:08 PM
One of us had to do some catching Wayne :P

WayneChristie
08-27-2010, 08:15 PM
One of us had to do some catching Wayne :P

It was a pity pike, you had to come from so far away and I can be there any day in 15 minutes so I let you have it :) Seriously tho trapshooter, I found by the end of the last ice fishing season, the smaller smelts that werent much more than minnow size were catching a lot more pike than the larger baits I had been using, so a jig to get them to the fish and keep them off the bottom should be a great way to go. I will let you know in about 3 more months :sHa_shakeshout:

baitfisher83
08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
what about the second one I caught outside the tent? :P

WayneChristie
08-27-2010, 10:56 PM
what about the second one I caught outside the tent? :P

It was eavesdropping:scared0015:

biggamehunter
08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I like using a rubber jig with a very curly 3 inch tail. The pike just go crazy! Buy them in a black and red colour and a yellow and green colour. Also any Storm jigs work amazing!