PDA

View Full Version : Gulp vs Powerbait

fish-man
08-27-2010, 02:18 PM
For those of you who use both... is "Gulp" a vast improvement on powerbait (ie catches more fish) or just another packaging? I've been using powerbait jigs for years and I'm not sure if it's worth the money to switch over.

nicemustang
08-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Gulp alive yes, regular gulp no.

Tom Pullings
08-27-2010, 07:40 PM
I find they work a bit better but the money would probably be better spent elsewhere unless you can get Gulp Alive on sale. Its a different material than other plastics, it will actually shrivel up and dry out if you leave it out of its juice for too long.

medhatken
08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Wholesale Sports in Calgary have the tubs of Gulp Alive on sale for $14 I seen today.

Chris K
08-28-2010, 01:33 AM
I use a lot of plastics, including Powerbait, Gulp, Gulp Alive and Northlands Slurpies. They all have their uses for me depending on the situation. Any of the Gulp products in the hanging packages I put into the tubs anyways and let them soak up the juice, The 5 inch jerkshads are hard to beat and so are the 6 inch Crawlers in matural color. I use a lot of 3 and 4 inch minnows too, and most of the time I am fishing them more agressive than with natural baits. Depending on where and how I am fishing depends on the baits I use, but if you are already using Powerbaits and having success with them, try the Gulp in the same style or one similar and I think you will be happy.

Chris K

soggysocks
08-28-2010, 06:25 AM
I bought them last year and they really did me no better then any other soft plastic baits do. I really hated the tub, leaked all over the damn place. Best thing to do is buy your self a couple of mason jars and separate them into mason jars before you buy them. I use the ones the size of 2 stacked hockey pucks.

I suggest this cause my jar ended up filling up this nasty slimy mold from re-dunking them into the jar with algae still on the bait most likely. But, if you keep them separated in jars of say six or so, when one jar gets nasty you don't have to throw out your whole tub.

When I bought mine they were about $20 which is really steep for bait so the jars help make it go a long ways

DANOMAN
08-28-2010, 06:34 AM
if you buy gulp alive and the plastic piece of clear paper they put under the lid if you remove this sheet of clear plastic it leaves a glue residue and when you seal the jar again it leaks so to avoid that you can cut an X shaped slit in the plastic and leave it there or buy these jars called liquid bait lockers there cheap and it solves the problem but as soon as you peel the plastic your hooped:sHa_shakeshout: